1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any help please downloading movie

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by joshmack, Oct 29, 2004.

1. joshmack

joshmack Guest

ill try to put this short. i have my computer hooked up to my direct tv and recored it to my hard drive.my problem is when i record a movie that is even an hour and a half with no comercials the file is still to big to fit on a dvd like 6.92gb any way to make this movie file smaller?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Too big! It is too big joshmack :)
    You would seem to be recording in MPEG2.
    What type of recording software are you using?
    Yes you can make the movie file smaller, by converting it to a more highly-compressed format like MPEG4 (DivX/XviD).
    Or, you could re-encode it using something like DVDShrink.
    Ideally you could record to a smaller format right from the get-go, and not have to convert your file after the fact.
    Without knowing what software you're using, it is difficult to say...
    Do you have a choice of different levels of compression, or different codecs?
    That would be your preferred path.
    L8R

3. joshmack

joshmack Guest

I am using DVD crypter and DVD shrink. How do I convert the file to a more highly compressed fromat and where can I find MPEG4? Also I am using DVD shrink but I don't know how to re encode it- could you explain how to do it?
    Thanks for your time

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

What is your [bold]recording[/bold] software my friend?
    Surely you are not recording real-time using DVDDecrypter or DVDShrink...?
    What type of file (what file extension) is the 6.92GB file on your HD?
    We can help you compress it, but as I said, ideally you could record to a smaller file format right from the start (saves you a lot of time & effort :)
    Regards

5. joshmack

joshmack Guest

i have recordnow. i have ati file player.and opens with ati multimedia center. the question i have is how do i record to a smaller file format from the get go?

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I dunno if this will help you but, I got Nero 6 OEM Suite free, along with my burner, and it does that.
    It will record DVD Standard (MPEG2 720x480)
    or SVCD-quality (MPEG2 480x480)
    or any compression listed on a list it brings up of any compressors registered to the system.
    I use DivX 5.2.1 (MPEG4 AVI)
    OK my info says you will need a real brawny PC, you know, fast and powerful, lotsa memory, big fast harddisks, if you want to do what I'm telling you.
    Should we go on?
    Otherwise, what you're doing is best - you own that software and you're getting good results, we could just compress your files after-the-fact.
    Tell me about your system, maybe we'll have you recording MPEG4 (with AC3 2.0 audio) in realtime ;)
    Or will it drop frames left & right?
    Stay tuned for this & other answers...

7. joshmack

joshmack Guest

i have a emachines with 2.6ghz and 80gb and 256mb with xp.very small everything. what should i do? and how should i compress these files with what i have to fit it on a dvd?

8. joshmack

joshmack Guest

9. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

...waiting for information :)