1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any negative effects from port forwarding?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by fry8, Dec 31, 2007.

1. fry8

fry8 Member

Are there any negative effects of port forwarding? For bittorents will it go faster if I turn off my firewall and port forward, or will the combo of port forwarding and turning of the firewall be a bad thing? Also, I am using ABC as my client, if I port forward the range 6881-6889, should I type in 6881 for the port in ABC under the network tab? Thanks.

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

If done properly there is no harm from port forwarding.
    However, you should not disable your software firewall.
    You can set a permission for ABC (or its port) in the firewall.
    There are some guides for this at Portforward.com Firewalls

You can also check PortForwarding Router Index for guides on your router and ABC.

I am not familiar with ABC, but the several clients I do use all set one port.
    You should not use a port in the 6881-6999 range, as these ports are often blocked by ISPs.
    It is better to use a port in the 49152-65534 range. See Port is Blacklisted.

3. fry8

fry8 Member

What happens if itsn't done properly? Anyway If I am using a belkin router what would I put for private port and private ip address? Or would I just type in 49153 for the first inbound port slot and like 49200 for the second inbound slot? [​IMG]

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The router is a firewall (hardware) which, like the software firewall, prevents unwanted intrusions.
    With both the software and hardware firewall active and set to permit ABC, you will be protected.

As far as the screenshot, I am not familiar with that router and I could not find a similar screen at the portforward guides.
    What is the model of your router?
    Did you find a guide at portforward?

Generally you need to clear one port for both TCP and UDP, and inbound and outbound.

5. fry8

fry8 Member

I think I know what to do. I'll establsih my static ip (are there any negative effects to that?) and then I'll just fill in everything at portforward.com I didn't realize that you have to type in all the fields neccesary at portforwar in order for it to tell you what to type in.