1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one have a ilo DVD Recorder With 80 GB Hard Drive, DVDRH04, from Wal-Mart,is it a good recorder?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Joecephus, Nov 24, 2004.

1. rbwok

rbwok Guest

I have upgraded firmware both times they have released an update. I didn't lose any of the programs I recorded either time, but I did have to input all my timer recordings again. I only have 7 I regularly watch, so it took no time to put them back.

2. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

That is good to hear about not loosing programs when updating. I have been putting off doing this cause I have a few on there that I don't want to have to put onto dvd at this time.

3. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

[bold]WHO'S GOT AN ANSWER?[/bold]

I just tried to do the update using the file
    wmja1193.d21 as well as using the ilo hack program on it. It started to do the update and then right at 99% it went to an error message and I had to open up the unit to get the cd out. Any one know what went on ?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  4. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

So about the question about loosing programs saved on the hard drive.....I lost every thing !!!!

5. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

When I power up I can't even get it to open the drive.

6. dayturner

dayturner Member

I am violating code by posting question to this second thread which seems more active that the other one. I am trying to figure out how to set my ilo to record one program while I watch another. Am I just plain stupid or is this impossible with this machine -- the ilo dvdrhdo4 with 80 gig hd?

7. zambonima

zambonima Member

If you have regular "cable" you could split the incoming line and run one to the Ilo and one to the back of the tv. This would work for digital cable as well, except the Ilo would only recieve the "basic" cable channels because it does not decode digital cable signals.

8. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

dayturner,

You can not do both at the same time. When the HD04 is recording, you can't use other functions.

9. dayturner

dayturner Member

assuming I use zambonia's suggestion; how do I then monitor and setup the ilo or watch programs which I have recorded? I forgot to mention that I have hooked into my tv with an rf modulator.

10. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

dayturner,

One of my ILO's I have hooked to an older TV that has no A/V inputs. I bought an RF modulator. Sounds like that's what you are doing. Here's my hookup:

RF Mod. coax out > TV Coax In
    Cable line > 2 way splitter
    Split 1 to cable box - split 2 to ILO
    Cable Box RF out > RF Mod. coax in
    Cable Box A/V Line out > ILO A/V2 rear input
    ILO A/V Line Out > RF Mod. A/V in
    If you are not using a cable box, then split 1 goes to RF Mod. coax in.

This is assuming the RF Mod. you have has a switch to go between the RF Mod and antenna.

With this setup you can do many things.

The ILO will be able to record from the built in tuner or from the cable box through A/V2.

The TV can view either the cable box or the ILO base on the RF Mods switch setting (MOD/ANT.)

The only restriction you will have is if you are recording to the ILO from the cable box. You will be forced to view what is being recorded.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  11. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

People get rid of this peice of garbage be smart like i was. I bought the Phillips hdrw720 at BestBuy for $325...its listed everywhere at over $400.....ilo $278 or a REAL TOP QUALITY product for $50 more? I gave ILO a try exchanged it 3 times and the GREEN TINT was still there, Besides the fact that if you use the ILO tuner everytime you change a channel it gets brighter than darker for a sec. And the FREEZING on the Channel was NEVER fixed even though they claimed it with the newest firmware. Only good thing is that it reads EVERY type of disc. But so does my Phillips and it has a 6 hour buffer. and a Built in TV GUIDe that works with DIGITAL CABLE.....Most dont but this one does!!!! Sorry for being so negative bt i had a bad ILO experience with all the lies and promises and try to do a RMA I bet they never let you send it to them for warrenty service...... NEVER EVER.

12. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

People get rid of this peice of garbage be smart like i was. I bought the Phillips hdrw720 at BestBuy for $325...its listed everywhere at over $400.....ilo $278 or a REAL TOP QUALITY product for $50 more? I gave ILO a try exchanged it 3 times and the GREEN TINT was still there, Besides the fact that if you use the ILO tuner everytime you change a channel it gets brighter than darker for a sec. And the FREEZING on the Channel was NEVER fixed even though they claimed it with the newest firmware. Only good thing is that it reads EVERY type of disc. But so does my Phillips and it has a 6 hour buffer. and a Built in TV GUIDe that works with DIGITAL CABLE.....Most dont but this one does!!!! Sorry for being so negative bt i had a bad ILO experience with all the lies and promises and try to do a RMA I bet they never let you send it to them for warrenty service...... NEVER EVER. And why is NOONE ackowledging the GREEN TINT i know everyone has it....Even LITEON 5045 has that problem but they admit it if you call them

13. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

hey [bold]DonnyDon[/bold] so is your review of this player yet like any of the 5 out of 6 people that gave this player a 1 star out of 5 on Amazon.com ?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  14. dayturner

dayturner Member

Thanx, dudes, for all the tips; looks like easiest thing to do is set ilo up to record and then bypass rf modulator to watch other shows. coaxial from ilo to tv carries cable, but not ilo signal. Either that or follow Donny's advice and take thing back. but is sure is nice to be able to see my PAL dvds on a TV screen instead of computer.

15. john_usa

john_usa Member

Woaaa Folks. The Green Tint problem has NOT been fixed in the Lite-on LVW-5045. I had one. Notice HAD one. This unit has all the same problems of the Ilo.

This unit is identical to the Ilo, except for the 80 gb drive, it has a 160gb drive. The 191 version of firmware had splitting errors and disk drive errors. Version 193 semed to fix them, and added in the green tin problem. Plus I could not finalize dvds, it would just hang.

Mine went back for a refund. Don't think the Lite-on 5045 is any better than the Ilo.

16. FESCSteve

FESCSteve Member

Just to add to the frey -

I purchased one of the DVD only versions and did the firmware hack. Was very happy with it except sometimes a live recorded DVD would sometime become 'jerky' at certain points. Took it back and got the HD version and am even happier.

I don't have the green tint issue, have done the hack so I can backup tapes and DVDs. The firewire input is one of the nicest features for anyone with a firewire equipped mini DV camcorder.

About the only complaints I have is not being able to watch one input while recording another and the inability to copy MP3s from cd to the hard drive.

But for the money, I think it's a good deal.

Steve

17. dayturner

dayturner Member

I have found that by by-passing my rfd connection and running the coaxial cable directly from the ilo to the tv, I can watch something other than what I am recording. It may be that one can disconnect the a/v cables, leaving only the coaxial connected and get the same effect. That means you have to set the ilo up ahead of time or get it started and then do the disconnect. Perhaps a little troublesome and combersome, but it may work.

18. kcjau1

kcjau1 Member

I just bought 1 and its good?? like they say, but I cant tune it in to watch 1 channel and record another.
    but the unit is good

19. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

Hello I just want to let you know that the Philips HDRW720 that i purchased is working PERFECT. I have long given up on the ILO. Such a promising UNIT, turned out to be such a disapointment. People be smart send mass amount of email to ILO.....have them get back to you 2 weeks later if that, or call them up and complain and have the SO CALLED TECH send it up to level 2.....LOLOL. The product, the support, The Company is complete GARBAGE. I dont even have the product anymore but feel the need to sound off because i hated it so much.....

20. FESCSteve

FESCSteve Member

DonnyDon,

I think anyone who reads through this thread realizes that you were not happy with your Ilo purchase. No need to keep repeating over and over and over and...... :)

I only hope that anyone considering the Ilo will research it a good deal before making up their mind.

Keep in mind that there are problems - some buggy firmware, and my new HD model would lock up from time-to-time until I erased the hard drive and defragmented. Now it works well. The RF tuner is mono, etc.

What is has going for it is price, firewire input and the ability to remove the macrovision sensitivity so that you can copy your own tapes and DVDs. And seeing how this is essentially a 'dumbed down' liteon and the hard work by a few people much smarter that I, we may soon have the ability to upgrade the hard drive and activate perhaps some additional features.

Yes, there are better units out there - this one just happend to have what I needed in a price I could afford. I am willing to live with some shortcomings that I consider minor. The simple matter is that I could not have afforded anything more expensive and that the Ilo meets my needs. Will it meet everyone's needs? Most certainly not, so judge accordingly.

Steve