1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one tempted to buy a ps3 yet.?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by xXJediXx, Oct 18, 2007.

1. xXJediXx

xXJediXx Guest

IM been an xbox owner since day one of the first incarnation of xbox.

But increasingly im tempted to purchase a ps3.

Wanting to know if any one else has been tempted , or if any one who has both consoles could advise weather to purchase.

Main reason for purchase obviously gaming.
    secondly media hub. i watch everything on my xbox, want to klnow if teres the same support for the ps3 ie avi. x264. Divx Xvid

Im not trying to start a discussion with people flaminng either console just looking sound advice as weather to trade in my wii , and microsoft wireless wheel to purchase a ps3 if its even worth it ..

Cheers guys

2. steimy

steimy Active member

easy answer, if you want one, then buy one.
    I really doubt anything will top the amount of media functions that you can have with a modded Xbox. Not even the 360 can come close.

But the games themselves blow the older systems away. I do not have a PS3 yet, but i am sure i will own both someday. Same as my Xbox and PS2's

3. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

i haven't been tempted,but seeing the Ratchet and Clank advertisements have got me thinking.At the end of the day theirs still no good games(IMO)that would make me want to buy a PS3

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I've been considering this lately, also. I bought a launch console, but returned it after 3 weeks.

So lately I've been feeling the itch to pick up something new. I was thinking maybe a PS3. Now with the new price drop you can get the 80 gig for $499 w/motorstorm. Or Circuit City (at least the one's around me) have the 60 gigs for $499 w/extra controller.

So, you can get a game and 20 extra gigs or full ps2 backwards compatability and an extra controller. Tough call. So after the gym today the wife and I ran up to Circuit City. I played at the ps3 kiosk for a half hour. GT looks nice, but I'm not a serious racer. And detail wise, it's no better than GoW. Lair sucked. Heavenly Sword didn't do anything for me. So I put down the controller and walked past the game section. Ya... that was a short walk.

I wanted to buy a PS3, but didn't. There wasn't any reason to. It's a beautiful machine, but it'd just sit and collect dust like it did the first time I bought one.

I don't know what it is, every so often I get this bug and just have to buy something. So we left CC and went over to Home Depot. I bought a new kitchen sink and faucet.

5. tyrantdj

tyrantdj Regular member

Never ever been tempted to buy another console for serious gamers. I own a 360 & Wii. IMO i think the ps3 has failed their customers so far, and now with some the ps3 exclusives destined for 360, there is no reason for me to purchase another console.

6. saltynuts

saltynuts Guest

I have both and the 360 got the goods great games and xboxlive is the best online gaming service hands down now as for the ps3 it was a gift to me from my team at work,it just collect dust i dont really touch it that much.only because right now it has nothing on the 360 in terms of anything.except for fail rate the ps3 fail rate is much lower than the 360,the 360 fail rate is 30% and the ps3 is somewhere around 3% so sony got M$ beat on that one but the 360 has a strong warrenty to back it up for 3 years not bad and with that it makes buying a 360 alot easier.and as for the wii why not it makes a great secondary.

7. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

im only getting the ps3 for the blue ray player.
    im not even going to use it on games,unless it gets homebrew

8. Memnock

Memnock Active member

PS3 already has homebrew if you put linux on it. You can't do 3D stuff since it doesn't have access to the GPU, but you play 2D stuff like SNES, NES, Genesis and the like on it. I bought a PS3 and believe it or not it broke while my 360 has ran strong for 18 months. Still even when it was working I played my 360 way more. Now I did like the PS3 web browser. It's much better than the Wii's.

9. pizzag

pizzag Member

i own both systems and like them both. i stream music to the 360 cause it has way better visualizations, and movies to the ps3 cause it works great with the dvd mpg format i convert to with nero. games are good on both, games that have the ability, look much better on the ps3. i recently beat moh- aireborn on 360 and thought it looked great, curious to know if the ps3 version will be a port or will look any better. possibilities for graphics are much better on the ps3. each system has pros and cons. made a swap switch for my ps3 so i can play ps2 backups. as for the ps3 having all these problems, that doesn't really pan out for me. with the 360 having the huge 3rod and overheating problems, i think it's unfair to say in general that the ps3 has problems. as with anything you buy, s*** can and does happen. i have both systems so i won't miss out on any exclusives. love them both and would recommend having both. the ps3 is lacking in the amount of good games, but in the next 6 months that will be changing.

10. pizzag

pizzag Member

saltynuts "it has nothing on the 360 in terms of anything.except for fail rate the ps3 fail rate is much lower than the 360,the 360 fail rate is 30% and the ps3 is somewhere around 3% so sony got M$ beat on that one but the 360 has a strong warrenty to back it up for 3 years not bad and with that it makes buying a 360 alot easier"

My bad, i got what you said twisted. i thought you meant it the other way around. LOL Sorry

11. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

That's exactly why I couldn't talk myself into picking one up last week. I even thought "well there are good games coming..." But, no need to get one now. And it won't be once ONE good PS3 exclusive comes out, either. I'm not going to spend $500 to play one game. There should be a handful out by next summer/fall... and maybe even another price cut.

And I don't care if graphics look better on one console vs. another for any specific game. Because there's not THAT much of a difference.

I will pick one up, eventually.

12. Inalbis

Inalbis Regular member

I was really tempted. My plan was to get it as soon as MSG4 came out... Than I woulod have 360 to play single player games and PS3 to play multiplayer and exclusive games... but for some reason, now that i learned that I can go XBLIVE with the new ixtreme the PS3 idea simply went away...

Well, I´ll still have to play MSG4... maybe in my friends house...