1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on the Sharp DV-HR300?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by dizzydz, Apr 21, 2004.

1. dizzydz

dizzydz Guest

Hi, I have been looking at buying the Sharp DV-HR300. As far as specs go, it has everything I want, but I have not heard much about it from a consumer standpoint, because I think it is new on the market. Has anyone heard anything about how well it works? Also, do these set-top DVD recorders have the capability to make backups of my DVDs at home?

Thanks!
    DZ

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Just be careful when you handle it. I've seen many people cut themselves on the edges; because it's Sharp!

(haha)

Seriously though, when I used to sell electronics in the 90's, Sharp was a good cost effective brand. As for using one of these for backing up your DVD's at home; I wouldn't use it for that. First of all you have to worry about Macrovision protection. Secondly you will lose menus (if that's important to you) as well as Dolby Digital sound.

I use mine for making digital recordings off TV, as well I started a small business converting people's VHS tapes to DVD. But for compatability I still have to use the computer to make the final copy of the disc.

3. don2blues

don2blues Guest

Just purchased the DV-HR300. Love it so far. Manual is a bit confusing. Unit froze a couple of times just like a computer, but I think I was just pushing the editing features a bit too much. I really like this machine. Got it at B&H in New York for a good price.

4. truce88

truce88 Member

Are you still having fun with your Sharp? Any buggy problems? Please describe its pros and cons since using it. How horrible is the manual? I've been trying to locate a pdf copy on line to download and read to see how easy or hard it will be to operate this DVD. Amazon would like a submission of manual for people to read. Would you be able to upload the manual to Amazon.com's website? For the price, its an enticing product to purchase sight unseen.

5. don2blues

don2blues Guest

Yes, I'm loving my Sharp DV-HR300. I love it more each day. The manual needs work, it's just confusing. But the more you use it the more you will love it. Especially recording things from tv/cable, then going in and deleting scenes, easy. Even the hi-speed recording is nice once you understand how it works, basically hi-speed recording works at the same you recorded whatever to your hard drive. Purchased a fire wire to connect my lap top to it but haven't tried it yet. You won't be disappointed. If you decide to go with it I'd be glad to help. Don

6. truce88

truce88 Member

Glad to hear your still having fun with your Sharp. How long do you have it now? I've been looking at HDD recorders for some time, and trying to decide which to buy (or not buy for another year because there are more companies coming out with first generation HDD recorders to keep up with Panasonic which is where I'm leaning for people rave about the whole line). I'm looking to eventually dump my vcr, transfer a batch of stuff recorded from tv, and hopefully be able to hook up my Camedia Camera to transfer jpgs, and video camera footage to dvd. When I came across the Sharp, the price caught my eye but couldn't find any comments from owners yet (too new I'm sure), except yours. I asked about bugs in the system for another DVD message board some complained theirs were buggy but didn't say exactly what it was. These complaints were also earlier models. No one has anything good to say about any manuals except some are just a tad easier to understand. One panasonic manual describes whatever, and it constantly refers you to another page to get the full idea of whatever. The idea of connecting your lap top to it seems interesting, for I have one as well. Will you be editing on your lap top? If I buy this you'll probably be hearing from me for support, and I thank you for this. If you could, keep us informed as you master the product. I'd like to know what quirks you come across, as well as whatever positive. In the meantime, I'll be taking another look at it thanks to you. Have a good day.

7. racer11

racer11 Member

any new feedback on this unit? pros...cons?
    Owners..are you still happy with it? comparable w/other good dvd recorders such as pioneer,panasonic,jvc? Any info or experience is much appreciated.
    Thanks

8. BayuTiger

BayuTiger Member

I have had the Sharp unit since Feb. I have used it to dub all of my old VHS to DVD. It is soooo much easier than the old way with my AIW card. I was in the store to buy the Sony and got the Sharp for the same price. I was a bit leery since I hadn't seen anything whatsoever on the Sharp. I have been absolutely thrilled with the unit. Recording from VHS is pretty much perfect down to LP mode. Even some very old tapes recorded to EP without too much degradation (the tapes were bad to start with). DirecTV is excellent in LP.
    Editing is a little clunky but works pretty much as advertised and just takes a bit of getting used to. It does recognize MacroVision and locks out tapes with it (but works fine with my TBC-1000).

I have noticed that the price has fallen since I got mine but I haven't looked back. I no longer have a stack of over 100 VHS tapes laying around and have retired all the VHS decks in the house.

9. soupy

soupy Guest

I've had my HR300 for a month now and love it to bits. I agree the manual is a bit confusing and I haven't master the high speed dubbing yet!!
    The only problem I have is when I do dub/copy any programs to DVD its losses the thumbnail images. All I get on the DVD menu is empty black boxes anybody else have this problem or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong please/

10. don2blues

don2blues Guest

Hi. Had my DV-HR300 for a month now, and have burned numerous dvd's, and love it. Soupy: To get hi-speed dubbing, you have to "engage" it before you record something to the hard drive. I think it's in the menu, don't have my remote with me but it does work. Also, you can only hi-speed something "at the same speed" it was recorded to the hard drive. That makes sense if you think about it. I record everything at the SP (2-hr) mode to my hard drive. I have also noticed a bonus which was mentioned in a review, where if you "manually" (MN)select the speed you actually get more time than is reported available in the menu. I have used my machine daily for 30 days, burned numerous dvd's, both from dvd, tv and vhs. I love it, and find the editing features very helpful and powerful.

11. soupy

soupy Guest

Thanks don2blues i have been recording upto now everything at MN16 which gives over 55 hours of record time to the hard disk, now starting to use SP so will try the high speed dubbing again.
    Does your thumbnail images work when you have burnt to dvd? DVD menu look cr*p with the thumbnail images.

12. soupy

soupy Guest

oopps
    should be " dvd menu's look cr*p withOUT the thumbnail images.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2004
  13. don2blues

don2blues Guest

When editing a recorded show from my hard drive, I always take the time to find a nice thumbnail, ever since a friend complimented that detail after making them a dvd. I find myself enjoying the editing feature more and more. One thing I haven't tried yet, is that if you know your movie/show will require MN17 to record to disc, if you record it to the hard drive at that same speed, will you be able to hi-speed record it to disc. I don't see why not, I've just been at the SP mode as a default, without regret. Just noticed in Crutchfield magazine that every dvd recorder with exception of the Phillips, is DVD-R rather than +R. Sony does both. FYI

14. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

I love this thing. Very very happy with my new sharp. This was to replace the lemon I bought from Philips, the 958, which stop recording dvd+r after only one year, as predicted by online buyers. Avoid it all costs. But this sharp is incredible. I do have a question however, does anyone know whether the FINE recording speed is a variable encoding or is it a constant recording rate. This machine does use Variable bit rate compression, which means it will change to suite the subject matter. I dont want this to happen if Im burning a dvd from the IEEE firewire link. I am a fanatic when it comes to quality and only archive my mini dv tapes in the best possible rate. So does anyone know if the compression is constant or variable in the FINE and the mnn32 modes?

15. don2blues

don2blues Guest

I'm just guessing here, but from my experience so far is that the compression is constant in both the "fine" mode as well as any of the mnn32 modes. The variable recording takes place when you select that feature where the recording is matched to the available time left on a disc. Unless I use hi-speed, I usually always recording manually with the mnn32 feature. FYI: In the mnn32 mode you definetly gain time available when recording to disc. i.e. When selecting the 140' mode in mnn32, you gain approx 3-4'. Double that if you use the 181' mode. May not mean much, but you're trying to squeeze something in order to use a faster recording speed/better quality... i.e. If you have something 175' in length, use the mnn32 feature and select the 171' mode. You will definetly fit your 175' onto your disc, as well as in the 171' quality. One thing I wish I could do is divide and separate a recorded program where it was actually multiple programs into actual separate programs rather than one. Confusing I know, but if you have ever used minidiscs and their awesome editing features you'd know.

16. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

Hey Thanks for the quick response. I do believe youre correct. I thought it might be that way, but I needed someone elses input on the subject. But I gotta tell ya after having the Philips 985, this Sharp is a godsend. I love this thing, really Im amazed at the technology theyve crammed into this slim package. It really works for my needs.
    But about separating programs, Im not quite sure what you mean...are you saying like in a timer recording of 2 separate shows that record as one???

17. don2blues

don2blues Guest

Yes. I was away for the weekend, recorded 10+ hours of shows. One spot was 5 shows, recorded one right after the other, so I set the recording for 5 hours in the right time frame, hence 1 recorded program, 5 hours long. Ideally I'd like to divide them into 5 separate programs. They were concerts on CMT this past weekend. What I could do is record them onto while watching them or at least paying attention to the time and create separate programs on respective discs, usually 2-3 per disc. I can live with that. The show is crossroads and does a nice job at putting together a country & rock singer together on one stage singing each other's music. Removing the commercials with the edit feature is great, never a problem. Any feedback from anyone you know regarding DVD-RAM? In a nutshell I see it as DVD-RW's with the expected limitations when giving a disc out, whether it will play on another's machine or not.

18. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

Ahhh yes, I can really appreciate that. That I think is the only thing this unit cant do, that I know of. Is divide a title. I know it can divide chapters but not titles. At least I havent found the capability yet. Ive only had mine for a couple of weeks. I will continue to test its capabilities. The Philips 985 did do this very well. In the RW+ format. But with what ve seen this machine does do just about everything else and does it well. If I find a way of dividing titles I will certainly let you know.

19. BayuTiger

BayuTiger Member

You can divide up a title using a playlist. This keeps the original intact. You can do all of your manipulation on the playlist, dub it to dvd and delete the original. Using the playlist allows you to do your edits with markers rather than the origianl witout using alot of HD space. Takes a bit of getting used to though.

20. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

Thank you, BayuTiger
    Awesome, I'll give that a shot..So is there any pauses when you edit that way like taking out commercials? Or is the transition smooth without any interuption...