1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on the Sharp DV-HR300?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by dizzydz, Apr 21, 2004.

1. djwilso

djwilso Member

I have purchased a Sharp DV-HR300U and will get it sometime next week. Was wondering if anyone who already has it knows if it has the ability to pause live TV, and rewind live TV into the past like TiVo can. If so, how long is the "back up" buffer? We have TiVo now, and would really miss this feature.

Thanks for any info about this.
    Dennis

2. BayuTiger

BayuTiger Member

The unit has "timeshifting" but only in the respect that you can pause your viewing while continuing the recording. Don't confuse it for a TIVO replacement. You won't be happy. Just realize that the Sharp unit will allow you to use the "Send to VCR" function on your TIVO to best use. Since you can watch a DVD while recording to the HD. You can dub your TIVO stuff while watching a DVD. (Live TV is so passe anymore anymore :) )

3. avgeek21

avgeek21 Member

Can anyone confirm if the DV-HR300 has bidirectional firewire? Can it output a IEEE 1394 signal? I would like to output to another stand-alone DVD burner in order to duplicate DVDs that I have burned from my mini-DV tapes. Thanks.

4. BayuTiger

BayuTiger Member

I don't see how this could be accomplished. The Firewire is associated with Input 3 and doesn't have any effect on output. The camcorder transport controls do not include a record control. I don't think that there is any way to output the digital stream to another device. I think copying dvd's is something best done with a PC.

5. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

I believe bayoutiger is correct. Although the Firewire is typically bi-directional in most cases and still is here. The deck itself is not capable of sending it back to DV. There is no record function on the DV playback screen and none of the Dubbing features characterize this feature either. Maybe it will be included in a later model. But I do know that transfering the material via the firewire directly to the DVD recorder on this unit will be a clone of the original. And even recording it first to the HDD will produce the same results. Ive made several already that way and have been extremely satisfied. There is no visible loss in the digital realm.
    Ive been recording all of my HI8 and SVHS tapes to the hard-drive first. There I can resample the footage first avoiding any problem areas. Naturally the input thru the SVHS is a generation away from the master, but I wouldnt even say its a full generation loss, since if you would record the same thing to another analog recorder, you would definitely see the loss. Im a fanatic with quality and have been very happy with the results using this machine.

6. avgeek21

avgeek21 Member

Thanks for the help, but maybe I need to be clearer. My goal in asking about the firewire OUT, is that I want to set up a multiple DVD duplication rack, using a DVD recorder (or player) with firewire OUT, connected to a one input, 5 output firewire distribution amplifier (Laird makes it), this connected to FIVE individual stand-alone DVD recorders with firewire inputs so that I could make 5 DVD copies simultaneously. I have a JVC DVD burner (firewire in only), I just need a DVD player or recorder that OUTPUTS firewire. I know the Pioneer recorder do and that the Sharps use the same engine as the Pioneers, and that the earlier Sharp DVD recorder has the bi-directional capability. I guess I could go analog with the s-video output/inputs, but I was seeking an all digital solution that does not involve using a computer.

Thanks again!

7. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

So basically you need a player with firewire output. I wish this device would do that but I don't think it does. I would wait to acquire one, instead of losing a generation with SVHS. Unless the project is not worth the higher level of quality. With me if its digital I want it digital from start to finish. Thank god for this format too, since svhs and hi8 really suck and had me totally frustrated in all my years of filming with it. Drop outs, sound issues time base errors, I really hated the 2 formats and vhs, dont even go there. Mini DV was to me a total relief.
    Anyway if you do find and affordable deck with firewire output, please let us know.

8. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

One more thing, I too am cloning my dv and hi8 stuff, but as I said I dub it all to my HDD and then burn several copies from there. Its not the sophistication of multiple simultanious recordings but then again Im only after 4 or 5 copies of the masters.

9. zauer

zauer Guest

Please confirm that Sharp DV-HR300 recognize PAL coding system and also it has slow replay and pause modes.What is the quality of the paused picture , oscillations?
    Thanks

10. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

The paused picture is rock solid, the slow playback strobes slightly but is totally acceptable. Using a fast shutter speed when shooting the master recording would greatly reduce the strobing. The slower the motion the better the results Ive noticed. Ive created stills from my digital recordings and created a slide show on my PC then transferred it to my mini dv via a firewire, to record to disc using my firewire cable as well.. Burned the disc and had a perfect slide show with rock solid images. The only fault Ive found is the machine when connected to a DV source might say that the material cannot be recorded because its copyrighted. I opened the camera and slid the protective tab to the other setting and voila, its was fine then. Most unusual since the next tape I tried dubbing did the very same thing but was in the same setting that the previous one was moved to, so I moved it to the other position and it then worked fine. Most likely a minor glitch in the software but not enough to dissapoint me. Moving the protective tab just occured to me out of the blue. Ive messed with digital cameras for awhile now so I also know how finicky the digital tapes can be. No complaints from this digital freak though. I LOVE the format!!!
    I'll get back to you on the PAL issue. I would say yes but not without knowing for sure, since I dont ever use that setting.

11. JoeKixxon

JoeKixxon Member

OK - I'm hopeful this will turn out to be something very simple, but my first experience with the DV-HR300 was not at all a good one. After setting it up, using time slip, and being very pleased up to that point, I discovered that cannot make the unit record from TV channels.

I use the simple programming grid and select a time and channel, but after selecting a point on the grid and setting the length of the show, the channel ALWAYS goes back to "--". Then I go to the manual settings and change the channel back to the number I want and confirm that setting. Again the channel goes back to "--".

This is incredibly frustrating. I can't record TV. I can watch TV through the unit and change channels that way, but I can't set the timer to record. I read and re-read through the ridiculously confusing manual. I finally went to bed very disapointed and woke up to find that the Sharp had only recorded snow from channel "--" despite the fact that I set the unit to channel 60 over and over and over again.

Please Help!

12. don2blues

don2blues Guest

Joe, relax first of all. I use this unit to record various channels off of tv many times. Use the timer recording feature instead of the on you mentioned. There towards the right you will be asked what channel to record, or what input. Then just hit enter on the remote to accept your choice. Works like a charm. The manual hit me as being a bit confusing at first, now it just collects dust and I found my way on my own and with help from this forum. You have a nice machine, have faith.

13. JoeKixxon

JoeKixxon Member

Thanks don2blues - however I tried exactly what you described. Exactly. The channel changes to what I want on that screen, but as soon as I hit "enter" the channel always defaults back to "--" on the list of programs to be recorded.

And yeah... I'm calm... It's just frustrating that I can't make something work that seems so simple and basic.

14. don2blues

don2blues Guest

Wish I had my machine here at work to help. Maybe there's a settings thing that you overlooked? How is your cable/tv connected to the Sharp? Also, I know this sounds ?, but try turning it off then unplugging it. That will reset it somewhat but "not" lose anyting you've already recorded. That tip works on everything from vcr's to cable boxes to computers.

15. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

I would totally agree with Don2blues, there must be something youre missing. The connection is the most important thing, if just one of the cables is not connected right, it wont work. But if there is something amiss with your particular unit then unplugging it should reset it. I personally use channel four on the recorder and use the cable box to change channels. So I simply leave the channel that I want to record off of, on. Set the program time and whatnot and then turn it off and turn of the tv set. Naturally I leave the cable box always on. This works best for me since I really dont have multiple shows on different channels that I want to record. I may have one any given night. But using it that way I havent missed any recordings yet. But as was said earlier, turning it off will usually reset the unit and you will not lose any already recorded material. If you do it for just a couple seconds, you shouldnt need to reset the clock either.

16. JoeKixxon

JoeKixxon Member

Thanks Manny and Don. I'll try the unplug and reset when I get home. The thing I dont get is that it changes channels perfectly when I watch TV through the unit. I'm pretty sure it's hooked up correctly because I can watch TV and do the time slip function. Also, I did check the cables again last night before I gave up. The other thing I really really don't get is that the unit accepts my changes to the channel number for timed recordings and then immediately defaults back to "--" for the channel. An error message or something would be nice if there is a problem.

17. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

Make sure youre choosing the correct settings in your setup as well.....broadcast or cable VHF 2-13, UHF 14-69, CATV 1-125

For instance if the channel is in the higher band channels, then you must choose the CATV 1-125. Im suspecting that you might have it set to broadcast and its making the unit default to zero since it may only recognize according to the band youve chosen. Just an idea. I am interested in seeing the outcome of this scenario, since I havent noted any major problems using this unit. The only thing I did notice as I pointed out in an earlier post was the copyright issue in regards to miniDV tapes. I had moved the protective tab to the other setting from what it was in, and noticed it then recorded. But since then Ive simply waited for the tape to play a couple seconds after I get the warning and the "CANNOT RECORD Copyrighted Material" prompt and pushed the record button and the unit then records. Im thinking that the copyright feature was really stressed in the designing phase of this product and is quite sensitive to any tapes that have either the built in copyright code or in this case the chip that miniDV tapes have. What ever the case it really hasnt caused any problems. Since I now know this and just wait for the tape to play a few seconds before iniciating the record button. Hey electronics, you gotta lovem:)

18. JoeKixxon

JoeKixxon Member

Update: I reset the unit, reset the channels, reset the record timer. I found out it's not totally unable to record TV. It's just anyone's guess what channels will record. Example:

Select CH2: Get CH2
    Select CH60: Get "--" (that would be the fly races)
    Select CH64: Get CH64
    Select CH59: Get EXT 01
    and so on...

And... The unit tunes in all channels perfectly when watching TV. The problems only exist with timed recording.

I really hate this piece of junk. Sharp you listening? This unit is headed your way. Next time send me something that actually works.

19. mannycam

mannycam Regular member

Joe, Im really sorry to hear that, your unit may have some malfunction. My experience has been favorable. Ive recorded about 30 DVDS, edited playlists, recorded from tv cloned about 20 miniDVS to DVD...havent had any issues come up. Again Im sorry to hear about yours. But the general concensus on the net is mostly favorable. I would give it a chance, get an exchange, it could be just that unit. Anyway, nice chatting with you. Good luck.

20. JoeKixxon

JoeKixxon Member

Thanks Manny. I was pretty steamed last night when I posted, and I am sending it back to Amazon for replacement.

Too add insult to injury, Sharp wants me to pay for shipping their defective unit back to them. After I found out Sharp's policy, I clicked up Amazon... return... replacement... etc etc... took me all of two minutes. No muss, no fuss. They pay for shipping and even printed a UPS shipping label for me and gave me directions to the nearest dropoff. Amazon really does do a good job, and this defect was certainly not their fault.

I wouldn't recommend Sharp to anyone, but at least Amazon may be able to correct this situation.