1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ps2 padding guides out there??

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by flanker22, Jun 17, 2007.

1. flanker22

flanker22 Member

I'd like to know if there is anyway to pad games to the rim of the disc to boost loading speeds. Any links to guides would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. flanker22

flanker22 Member

3. steimy

steimy Active member

you can insert dummy files. But why would you want to do that? Your PS2 should read any game or back up disc you make correctly.

4. flanker22

flanker22 Member

i just told you why i would want to do this. and i dont think its quite as simple as add a dummy file.

5. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

Do you really think you can decrease load times that way? You don't think game developers would do that if it really did or had no drawbacks (if there are any)...

6. flanker22

flanker22 Member

yes it does improve load times and game developers do, DO THIS if their games do not fill the disc.

when a disc spins the outer rim covers more area than the inner rim. say the radius of the disc is 5cm and the inner ring is 1cm. In one revolution of the disc, a track of 10pi cm is being read while the inner ring 2pi cms are being read.

Game developers probably have absolute control over how their data is sequenced on a disc which also boosts load speeds.

Not sure if we can control the sequence but i would think its possible to pad discs to push the data closer to the rim. I hear xboxers do this very thing. Please dont tell me ps2 modders are the most ignorant of the bunch...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  7. hursty

hursty Active member

you can use a dummy file maker to increase the size,just call it dummy.bin,and make it whatever size you need
    not got a link sorry,but alucard has it,made by gherudos
    And yes,you are correct in what you are saying,but the effects may not be that noticable and you may not achieve the results you are looking for.

This process is mainly used when users convert cd images to dvd format,and they want to add a dummy data,aka false TOC,so pls dont call me ignorant :0

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  8. flanker22

flanker22 Member

ah finally some intelligence. thanks now i know what to search for.