1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any sets that accept 1080p through component input?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ChiknLitl, Dec 23, 2006.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I wasn't talking about that but... A players ability to send a signal depends on its internal hardware. The people that create the player can make the player do whatever they want (within the limits of the technology). Its not that 1080p isn't possible over Component Video its that there has been no demand for it untill recently.

A set that can only display 1080i (i.e. old Rear Projection 3-CRTs that only have component video jacks) would not benefit from receiving a 1080p signal. On the other side sets that display 1080p would benefit from a 1080p signal. Since most of those newer 1080p sets have HDMI or DVI on them there is no need for its Component Video jacks to be capable of 1080p. Not untill recently has that change.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  2. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

I have no idea specifically on this topic, but I do have a lesson for you: most people at Best But/Circuit City are incompetent when it comes to computers and media centers. Joe Schmoe and Bubba off the street are working there.

I remember several weeks ago I was looking to buy a relative an upgrade to their computer and I wanted an external harddrive that I could encase their old drive in. I only could find ATA compatible ones. I asked one if they had any SATA ones, and he looked at me like I was stupid, saying the ATA would work.

3. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

I know GALLAGHER but I still can't get 1080P through component inputs.That guy got me very upset.When I saw him on the computer I asked him if he could go into Crutchfield to look up the Sammy and he said hold on and left somewhere and never returned.He knew I was right and he was dead wrong.

4. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Then I told him I wanted to stay in the 60" range and he kept on showing me smaller sets like the Sharp Aquos and plasma sets which I don't like.What a moron.

5. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Here is the spec sheet for the HL-S6188 from samsung.com:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/files/hls6188_final.pdf

According to the spec sheets on the site, the only 61" DLP HL-S series sets that accept 1080p via components are:6165, 6187, 6188

These 61" models, however do not:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/files/hls6167_final.pdf
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/files/hls6186_final.pdf

Let us not forget about 1080p movies, they most likely will be down scaled to (?)1080i over components because of the lack of HDCP.

Which model do you have, poolpro?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Movies arn't down converted to 1080i over component because of HDCP. HDCP causes resolutions to be cut in half not changed from progressive to interlaced.

Ced

7. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

one of my friends who is very well versed in hd technology told me that hd-dvd players and blu-ray players do not disply anything but 1080p through hdmi. there is no other option. im not sure if this is true or not because nor him or i actually own a hd or blu ray player, weve just been fusking around with his ps3. if this is true it just proves my point about the 1080p rollout being totally about planned obsolescents and has nothing to do with consumer demand.

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

He's pulling your leg. The Toshiba HD-A1 and 2nd gen HD-A2 can't even output 1080p thru HDMI. The current BluRay players can output 1080p thru HDMI but if your HDTV can't accept a 1080p signal then you have the option of choosing 720p or 1080i thru HDMI. It would be suicide for these CE companies if they came out with a player that didn't support lower resolution displays.

9. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Hey Chiknlitl I had the HLS-6187W but returned it because the picture was terrible.It looked nothing like the display in the store as fas as picture goes and all I ever use is Component and HDMI inputs.

10. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Hey Diabolos, which TV do you recommend that can do 1080P through both Component,HDMI, and VGA?

Also what settings are best in order to get the best possible picture?

11. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

I want something that can output 1080P for my Xbox 360 and my PS3.I've read that the 360 can only output 1080P through VGA and not component which I think is true because I tried it out on the 6187W Sammy and it didn't work on Component.I don't have a VGA cable for the 360 so I couldn't try it out.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

To my knowledge the 360 can output 1080p over Component Video with the latest firmware upgrade!

Wikipedia (1080p conformation):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Audio_and_video

As for best TV I will get back to you on that...

Ced

13. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Yeah my 360 is up to date as far as Firmware but I still couldn't get 1080P when I selected it on the 360 's Console settings.I am using Component cables made by Microsoft.Maybe since they are the components when the 360 came out they don't support that high a resolution?

14. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Well I just checked out the Component cables from Microsoft's site and they do support 1080P.Weird because it doesn't work for me.The highest resolution I get on the Sammy for the 360 is 1080i.

15. fargen

fargen Member

Okay, I recently acquired the Sharp XV-Z20000 1080p front projector. Pricey it may be, but after connecting my xbox 360 hd dvd drive to it via component i crossed my fingers and changed the hd dvd settings to 1080p. With the Optoma HD81, another 1080p projector which i returned because it has now lens shift, i got no picture and the hd dvd drive switched back to 1080i like it's supposed to. BUT, the Sharp gave me a picture. Does this mean I'm getting 1080p through the components with the Sharp? Because now my HD DVD movies, especially King Kong, look phenomenal - so clear that it is almost 3D. My screen is 120".

16. fargen

fargen Member

17. mjohnsns

mjohnsns Member

i have coxcommunications and there hd boxes only accept hdmi now in order to get hd tv on my hdtv is to go and buy one with hdmi sucks

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes. Why do you question it?

---[Off Topic]---

HDMI is good. HDMI doesn't suck. HDCP is bad. HDCP does suck.

There actually was and still is a lot of demand for a unified connection format that offers some sort of copy protection. HDMI feels that gap, well.

Digital Rights Management (DRM) can suck, but only with copy protection in place will content owners feel ok about more advanced delivery options like the internet (i.e. VOD) or satellite (Digital Cinema). With everything being digital, copy protection is the only way forward.

As a Best Buy associate it really hasn't been a large problem for my customers. The movie studios are being nice about the whole ICT thing and the Broadcast Flag was shoot down in congress so I don't think we need to worry about any large scale DRM mishaps.

I'm not saying its not all about money, its all about money, and politics. But isn't this stuff fun. Maybe you have to do some research before you buy a tv now a days but thats only because you can get exactly what you want, not just what everyone else has.

My tidbit of info for this post...

The Government mandate (for the US) is coming up for all tvs under 25" and any devices with analog tuners:

DTV.gov (DTV tuner mandates)
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-259245A1.pdf

---[/Off Topic}---

Thanks for reading my rant,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  19. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Hey Diabolos,I'm still waiting on your answer to the best TV on the market right now. LOL come on buddy you're lagging. Hehe

Just joking buddy.I am looking for something that has the most HD inputs and the best picture for HD.

Is LCOS the same as Sony's SXRD technology? What companies make LCOS sets?

20. markula

markula Member

I have the 61" SXRD TV and i've gota say i HATE IT. it's got a great picture but it doesn't accept 1080p through vga or component. I should've looked into more. The sales rep said it did. Not just a simple joe shmo sales rep but the Mongolia home theater rep. Anyway it only accepts 1080p through HDMI. so i'm going to try to call and get it replaced with a sammy once i confirm which model accepts 1080p through VGA. i don't care that it doesn't accept it through component that's why i got the VGA cable but i think vga is analog too right? i'm not sure but samsung's manual says the PC input resolution is 1920x1200 so that should work i guess. anything would be better than 1300x768 or whatever... stupid sony. I wanted to connect a PC to it too, you'd only get 1900 res through HDMI also!

So has anyone confirmed which TV model exactly has 1080p work on VGA for the 360? After i get Vista and stream my HD videos to my xbox i want the full quality...

I tried to ask the guys on DL.TV but they haven't responded to me yet. They had an episode displaying a samsung rear projection DLP tv connected to the xbox 360 with component working on 1080p. gota get that model...