1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any thoughts on the Kodak DX6490?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by lynamgirl, Dec 28, 2004.

1. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

I am ordering one, the 7590 is the newere model yet the only difference I can spot is the 7590 is 5mp and the 6490 is 4mp...
    I am an OLYMPUS girl, love Olympus, but the one I wanted was a bit pricey, so decided to try Kodak. I know they have been around for Years, so they gotta be ok, right? Just wondering if anyone owns one? Or heard anything...

2. buffohman

buffohman Guest

I just got one for Christmas. I have 2 other cameras. I love the size and feel of the camera and in good lighting conditions the pictures are fine. I am disappointed in the quality of the zoomed pics. Even in a well lighted arena, the zoomed pics were very dark and focus was not great. My sony works much better for zoom. I may try some manual settings to see if it will perform better. But my 1st impressions is the camera is not very good in low light conditions. If it was not a gift, I would not buy this.

3. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

Hmmm, that is one thing I was scared of. I take alot of band pics in nightclubs, so that would be a problem. What is the sony that you have? My Olympus had a setting where you could adjust the flash power, I knew I was gonna miss that...

4. buffohman

buffohman Guest

I have an old Kodac dc-200 and the Sony MVC-FD92. I use the kodac for everyday pics and the Sony for my sports pics. I took the Kodac to a BB game yesterday and was disappointed. I tried the sports action mode, low light mode and auto. Pics form distance were fine, the zoomed pics sucked. I was able to salvage a few pics with foto canvas software. I will make some adjustments manually and see if that helps.
    Check out
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
    Bands at night clubs are a hard shot. Lights in the background can fool the camera. I found that you need to get close and use a flash, he closer the better.

5. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

http://www.lovinglynam.com/gallery is a link to my band shots that were taken with the Olympus I had. I am nowhere near a proffessional photographer, but enjoy taking pics of my band...

The 6490 has a better optical zoom than the kodak dc-200 so that may make a difference. If my pics can come out as good as the ones on the above site, thats great...do you think I can accomplish that?
    On my pic page you will need to count down 3-4 albums, since my camera broke after the 'Harveys show'

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  6. buffohman

buffohman Guest

Those are great pics. I will be going to a night club Thurs night. I will take the kodac and see how it does. Hey I like the sound, perhaps you could get a gig at Bogarts here in Cincinnati :). I will let you know about the pics I take Thurs.

7. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

So you are going to take pics with the 6490? That would be awesome...
    Be sure to let me know...you can post them on a page somewhere or email them to me.

8. buffohman

buffohman Guest

Alright bro, sounds like a plan.

9. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

I am not a bro...lol I am a sista... Lynam is my boyz... I am just the fan, promoter, stalker...whatever you prefer...lol

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  10. buffohman

buffohman Guest

Duh, I thought you were a male band member. I get brain gas sometimes. :) You from Alabama??

11. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

Yeah kinda figured you thought that, but my screen name is Lynamgirl...lol Yeah I am from Alabama... So, what are the good clubs in Cincinnatti that I could get a promo pack out to for the band?

12. buffohman

buffohman Guest

The best place for bands in cincy is Bogart's.

http://www.bogarts.com/

It is near the university and is always hopping.

13. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

well I will see what they think!

14. buffohman

buffohman Guest

Hello Lynamgirl,

The pics I took Thursday night were horrible. The 6490 is great in bright lighting, but horrible in low light. My old Kodak does a better job. I would not recommend the 6490 for what you need.

15. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

can you email them to me? a few? c_lisa28@hotmail.com

16. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

Hey buffohman, is there any way you can mail me a few of the pics you took that night, to the address in the previous post?

17. buffohman

buffohman Guest

I will try and mail them later this evening from home.

18. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

Thanks that would be much appreciated...ya never know, whats bad to you may be ok to me...lol After all I am not a professional, as you can tell from my shots...lol

19. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

Well I did go ahead and get the camera. I used it friday and Saturday night at clubs and it did pretty well. Problems I encountered...focusing seemed to be a bit difficult and redeye. I posted the pics www.lovinglynam.com/concertgallery2 they are unedited with the exception of size and one redeye correction.

20. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member