1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips on speeding up encoding?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ruprect, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

I have a laptop and was wondering if there is any way to speed up encoding a little. I usually leave it alone while encoding so do not need to run any other software, I was wondering if there was a program or some sort of boot disk I could load up on so XP was doing minimal work in the background, devouting all power to encoding. I recently had the core duo turned off in the bios to help flashing a dbox, it increased encoding time by almost 100%

System is Dell
    Base: Inspiron 6400 Duo T2400 1.83 GHz, 2 MB
    DVD Drive: 8X DVD+/-RW
    Hard Disk Drive: 100GB (7, 200 rpm) Hard Drive
    Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    Video: 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 graphics
    Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Other than upgrading to a better CPU I would say make sure all backround tasks are turned off before encoding.

To end background tasks:
    o Close all open documents and applications.
    o Press Ctrl+Alt+Del.
    o On Windows 95/98/2000/XP the Close Program dialog opens, listing all the programs currently running.
    o On Windows NT, click Task Manager in the dialog box that opens, and then click the Applications tab to display the list of currently active programs.
    o To exit a program, in the Close Program dialog box or Applications tab, select the program you want to exit, and then click End Task.
    Repeat step 3 for each program you want to exit,except Explorer and Systray (the Windows core tasks).

3. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Thanks, I have got rid of most using msconfig to stop them at startup, on XP, I get the "applications" tab in task manager. Then there is "processes", I see explorer, but not systray (though I have seen it on others). There are lots of processes in there with user name SYSTEM, are there any essential ones? Can I mess up the PC by closing any or should I try them all but explorer (and systray if it appears)

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can try them all at worst you will have to restart the system to get it back up and running again.