1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Wireless USB Adapter?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by McPot, Feb 3, 2007.

1. McPot

McPot Member

Will the Xbox 360 work with any wireless USB adapter or only ones from Microsoft?

I know that my old Xbox adapter works, but it is ethernet and not USB like the new Xbox 360 adapter.

Reason I ask is because Microsoft is selling their wireless adapter for $99.99 when just an ordinary USB wireless adapter is around $30 or sometimes even less.

Please let me know if someone knows if any wireless usb adapter will work on the Xbox.

Thanks

2. caliph

caliph Guest

I am pretty sure you cant just use any wireless USB adapter. I tried it with mines and it didnt work.

However, you have two other options. Besides microsof's offical networking adapter(which is ofcourse $100), you can buy "Zoom Game Point! 4420"(im not sure 100% sure if its compatible with the xbox 360 though) or the "Linksys WGA11B Wireless-B Game Adapter"(im certain this one works with the 360).

I wouldnt shell out $100 for microsofts "offical" network adapter when i could just buy the linksys WGA11b for about $50. I havent tried out any yet, but im going to try and see if the linksys wga11b is in stores and if so, ill buy it and tell you how it works on my xbox 360.

3. McPot

McPot Member

I wonder why it wouldn't work. What would cause a standard usb adapter to fail?

Thanks

4. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

encryption, they are encrypted to keep people from just stealing other peoples bandwith

5. McPot

McPot Member

That is not true. The wireless adapter does not hold an encryption. The wireless router holds the encryption so that way people can't steal bandwidth.

I really don't think there is anything stopping a generic usb adapter from working. Maybe the adapter you had was just crap.

I think I may try it for myself.

6. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

ok, go waste your money, mine doesnt work either, the most common linksys wireless receiver doesnt work...so go ahead, waste money

7. caliph

caliph Guest

okay i did some more research and i decided to order the Logitech Play Link. Basically its like a wireless ethernet bridge (theres two transceivers; one that you connect to the 360 and the other to the modem/router). It should arrive by the end of the week so ill tell you how it works out.

8. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

I was skeptical about getting the microsoft wireless adapter too cuz of the price, then I found it for 70 brand new free shipping on ebay. So try checking around there I say, being the linksys gaming adapter is 80 I think.

9. caliph

caliph Guest

okay i tested it. Its been superb. Im happy i didnt shell out $100 for microsfot's network adapter WHAT A RIP-OFF. The setup was pain-free and i just had to connect the transrecivers to the 360 and to the router(no cd setup/installing software). I did however experience a little lag in halo 2(although that happenned when i connected before on xbox live using an ethernet cable so im not too sure) and i havent tried it in GOW yet :D . The transrecievers are quite small (i thought they were huge but thyre about the size of rubik;s cube). So i recommend you buy it (since its not avaible in the stroe, you could buy from like ebay). Hope you buy it lol!v