1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody own a Datel MAX DRIVE?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by VJbob, Feb 23, 2005.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I was interested since it allows downloads of gamesaves from sites like gamefaqs.com. Plus it would be easy to swap with friends. Also, it contains 16MB so the equivalent of two sony memory cards. Does anybody own this and can tell about their reliability? Would you keep your precious RPG saves kept on the max drive? Also are there any problems with transfering data to computer and back? Also, is it easy to corrupt data or mistakenly erase data by pushing a button etc? Thanks.

2. jepsilon

jepsilon Guest

It is as easy as it can get. I bought the damn thing only to find out that it's the same as any old usb pen drive, with the exception that it's formatted in fat32. I would suggest getting action replay 3.4 (or the newest version, evo or somethign) and buying a usb pen drive that has more than 16mb on it. Yes it works fine, but the maxdrive seems to compress everything you save on the pen drive, which means you're going to have to uncompress everything you want to transfer back to your memory card.

3. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

i have a 256mb usb flash drive already. Are you saying I can just plug it in and copy, save and transfer memory card files from my ps2 and pc without any software? I thought I remembered somebody saying that the max drive using a ".max" extension or something.

All this compression talk sounds kind of confusing? I was just hoping I could create a folder in 'my documents' and save all the files in there, then when I want them back on my ps2 I transfer them directly via max drive no problem.

4. jepsilon

jepsilon Guest

Transferring files is relatively simple. Yes you need software, which is why I said "get an action replay max evo - the latest version", since this cheat device comes with the max drive software. It's made by the same company. The reason I suggest this is for you to save money if you already have this software, or you can just get this I think it's cheaper.

So ultimately, it's not confusing. The transfer of files from the usb drive to the pc is as easy as 123. The compression I was talking about is with the ps2 software.

5. RedRum21

RedRum21 Guest

i own a max drive and i use it all the time. gamefaqs is a kickass website. the max drive doesn't compress everything but if you want to compress the game saves you can and even fit alot more onto it.
    it comes with software that you have to use in order to access the max drive (1 for the pc and 1 for the ps2) i think that it is the best way of transfering game saves, there is also a x-port or sharkport but they are rarely used anymore.

buying a max drive :
    you can find them on ebay for about 35 to 38 bucks
    there is a place that i bought mine from www.chumbo.com for about 27 including s&h

now eb games sell the maxdrive and actionreplay all in one package for only about 35 this would be the best way to go, (i wish i had know about it sooner)

hope this helps

6. nunzv.1

nunzv.1 Member

does the max drive work with the new slim PS2