1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anydvd and clonedvd2 starting to get unreliable

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gogina, Apr 25, 2005.

1. gogina

gogina Member

Up till a month ago I had no problems with either piece of software, always getting top quality backups, no matter what I recorded.

I kept to a few simple rules, making sure the quality of both the sound and movie were at least 65% of the original, and removed the menus, extras, etc if there were any problems (rare).

Now, with the latest updates, I can backup my movies just fine, but tv show disks are much more unreliable.

I tried to copy to DVD9s, got two coasters, the third only worked because I copied a duplicate of the files to the HD and used nero to make an almost complete dvd (everything except extra languages). Even then, it will only play in my HDUpconversion player (much more reliable with copied discs, if it won't work on this it won't work on anything), but not my Panasonic F65 5 disc player.

Dual layer discs seem to be real bad, but even when I tried to copy the shows to two DVD5s I often get a disc that starts ok, but stops about half way through (same sympton as the dvd9 media).

I used to be able to copy tv shows into two parts, keeping the menus and picking out the episodes for each disc. Even then, if I tried to put more than two episodes on a disc, it would gradually foul up during the third and fourth episodes, until eventually it would hang the disc.

Now even if I put episodes 3 and 4 on a second disc, it still stops playing part way into each episode, whether menus are included or not.

Anyone have any ideas with this one, or whether previous versions of anydvd and clonedvd2 work better for real?

Until this started happening, I was so confident of my backups that I put aside DVDXCopy Express (starting to not recognise more modern encryptions) because I had never produced a coaster.

I use vertibram media, 8x through 16x. Tried various speeds to see if copying at a lower speed would help.

My recorders are a Sony 700A (latest firmware revision) 16x DL recorder and a Plextor 4x recorder (about two years old, I forget the model number, but it also has the latest firmware).

Maybe it's my media, but from what I read nearly all media seems to be dodgy these days. I used to use Dyson and 3M media, real cheapy 4x stuff, and for a while my 16x vertibram stuff was 100% error free. The 8X and DL media seems well dodgy if it is the media. Not sure, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Sounds to me more like a media or media/burn speed problem more than a software one since the software works for movies. Suggest trial of different media. Just my thoughts....

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

gogina, I don't know which versions of Clonedvd or Anydvd you are using but I would check for the most recent update. The last few updates were defective and needed revamped. I'm not even sure if all the bugs are completely out to this day. I reinstalled the last versions before Clonedvd 2800 and Anydvd 5000. They were working great but they rewrote the programs to work with 64 bit systems and ended up with many problems. I decided to wait a month or so until it is bug free. You may have one of the bad versions.

Jerry

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I have AnyDVD 4.6.3.1 install file. If anyone wants it PM me with your email address and I can send it to you.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005