1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anydvd broke my drives

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bill17SM, Apr 16, 2005.

1. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

I just un-installed AnyDvd (already have shrink and decrypter, just wanted to try it for oceans 12), and suddenly neither of my drives will play a dvd. Checked device manager, said both were fine.

Drive 1- dvd-rom- just doesn't recognize the disc, asks to insert one.

drive 2- dvd burner - insert a disc in that and get the blue screen of death. actually says a memory prob, but I have plenty installed

checked the bios, drivers are not shut off.

just tried a CD, worked fine. Any ideas?

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

When you say "memory problem", do you mean, & I mean specifically, virtual memory?

If so follow these instructions;

click on start, right click my computer, click properties, click advanced, click on the settings button, next to performance (top one!), click on advanced, click on "virtual memory" change button. change virtual memory size to just below max-setting. click on set then OK. that should just about do it!

If it is not "virtual memory", then ignore the above instructions!!!! LOL

Hope this was of some help!

Pulsar

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  3. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

Thanks for your help. I tried it, no luck. I don't think it is memory, I have a lot installed. I've run defrag, I was fine there but did it anyway. No viruses detected either.

Does Anydvd change your drive settings? Looked like i was still set to the correct region, but ever since i've downloaded, then deleted- neither can even detect i've put a dvd in (I think the drives think they are blank discs).

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  5. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

I reset it back to march, didn't help either. So strange.

6. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

read that article and ran hijack this. don't see the file.

7. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

just went into device manager and deleted both my drives, then let windows re-install on reboot. Rebooted again. still no luck.

i'm hating anydvd right now. had a system that worked great, got my hand caught in the cookie jar trying to do one movie.

8. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

downloaded anydvd again, and deleted it again (to make sure it didn't screw up the first time), still doesn;t work.

Did disk cleanup, just in case. Any other suggestions before I head out to by new drives?

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

What happens when you re-install AnyDVD? Do your drives start working? I don't think your drives are actually broken and I'm afraid if you put in another drive the same problem will occur.

You should put a call in to Slysoft and let them know.

Here is a sort of similar thread I found at CDfreaks:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=132813

10. elby

elby Member

I assume you use Windows 2000 or XP.
    Start RegEdit.
    Go there:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Delete the value LowerFilters, if it contains values like this:
    ElbyDelay (from CloneDVD)
    ElbyCDFL (from CloneCD)
    AnyDVD (from AnyDVD)

Or just delete the value "AnyDVD". The uninstaller should have done this for you, heaven knows, why it didn't.
    Now Reboot your computer. Good luck!

Note: If the value AnyDVD is NOT there, it is not AnyDVD's fault. Without this value, the AnyDVD driver will not be loaded.

11. little155

little155 Regular member

If you do a restart after installing, that could help. I've had problems with anydvd when I didn't do a restart after downloading an update.

12. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I'm having the same problem with ANYDVD. Installing it kills both of my optical drives but when I uninstall it via its own uninstaller, voila, the drives are resurrected. RAID 1 configuration here. I sure think that AnyDvd can kill drives. Just my 2 bytes worth!

cheezzzz

13. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

If AnyDVD "killed" your drives, you would not be able to "resurrect" them again. Probably a conflict with another driver running in the background.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

15. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

I got the trial version from this website. not sure what version it was.

What options should I be looking at?

Just tried to download it for a 4th time (kept trying to download to try to delete it different ways), get a command box that says no enough memory for program.

I have 512 installed, nothing else running.

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but there's some pretty cool stuff in there to check out, also some important stuff. So have a look around, play a little bit, can't make it any worse right?

If you click on the About tab in the options it will tell you which version you have.

If you click on the Drive tab you can disable AnyDVD from any of your drives. Have you just tried to do this? Other than that, I don't know.

[Edit]Also, when AnyDVD installs it sets a restore point. Have you tried to restore to a previous point?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  17. Trom

Trom Regular member

Have you any other software installed that might have conflicted with AnyDVD. I had a similar problem with my Plextor 708A due to installing AnyDVD + Alchol120%. When I eventually fixed it I came to the conclusion that the cause was the fact that one of both of these apps created virtual drives and added drivers to the Plextor. Uninstalling the apps, then physically removing and reinstalling the drive fixed it for me. I might add that I use IDE Nvidia drivers that may have contributed to the problem.

18. bill17SM

bill17SM Member

Only other programs I have are shrink, decrypter, and dvdxcopy platinum. I;ve deleted shrink and decrypter, still no luck. Just bought a new dvd-rom, I'll try installing that when it arrives. My Ben-Q burner is only a month old. If that doesn't work, I'm deleting everything and starting over.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, keep em coming if you think of anything or had similar probs.

19. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I agree ... conflict w/ another driver.

Nephilim uses both AnyDVD & Alcohol 120, and I don't think she's ever mentioned a problem.

Which AnyDVD are you using? Mine doesn't install any virtual drives. You can download Virtual CloneDrive, but that is free and isn't part of the AnyDVD install (at least to my knowledge).

That's what I usually do :) ... just finished doing one.

Are you able to put your drives in another pc to test the drives?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  20. squizzle

squizzle Active member

OH NO!! NOT X COPY!! Just kidding. But seriously there is a huge list of software that conflicts with X Copy. To add to what flip said, I also use AnyDVD and Alcohol120% without any conflicts and I only have 1 virtual drive installed, from A120.

Before you completely start over, try just getting rid of X Copy.