1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnyDVD how to start??

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by cuminstd, Aug 31, 2004.

1. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

How many years past a four year college degree do you need to use AnyDVD. I guess four years wasn't enough for me because I can't seem to use it. I downloaded AnyDVD ver 3.9.2.1 which has a 21 day trial on it to try it. I wanted to try it because it boasts a on the fly copy with no hard drive backup. However, after I install it the icon is there and it appears I have everything set properly but it sits there and does nothing. Under DVD it is set properly, and it is on enable DVD and autostart. I have a Toshiba DVD drive which I have a movie in and a Liteon DVD burner. It finds the movie disk but nothing at all happens.I have video DVD under fast and noisy and it correctly identifies both of my dvd drives. Under CSS keys it shows the movie correctly in the drive.Under program I have enable any dvd, autostart, and autocheck for new anydvd version. I have a blank dvd in the burner, but I assume after anydvd rips it doesn't compress, so you have to use something else like shrink to compress?? If so I don't see how you can get an "on the fly" dvd as it wouldn't fit on a 4.7gig blank. I guess I need a better help file to explain exactly how this anydvd works, I couldn't find one at slysoft where I downloaded it.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi cuminstd, welcome to aD -

Relax my friend, you've been worrying too much.

Your AnyDVD has been working all along. When they say "Copy on the fly" they are talking about a DVD-5 DVD. If your DVD is small enough you'll not have the need to compress it at all. You will however need another proggy to process it and burn it as AnyDVD prepares a DVD it doesn't encode it. Whatever you use it must have a burner. Nero's recode2, CloneDVD2 or DVD2One are all good choices. AnyDVD has removed the encryption and set it's region to region free (that's what it does and that's all it does).

The reason you don't see anything is because it's working in the background, all the time.

If you're dealing with a DVD-9 (Most DVD's today are DVD-9s), you'll need CloneDVD2 or DVD2One even DVD XCopy RF to compress it to the proper size to fit on a single disc.

I like it because you don't ever touch it :)

My favorite combo's are AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD and DVD2One - If you were going to pick just one, go with CloneDVD2 -

Cheers,

Pete

Editing needed thanks to callous's keen eye and ScubaPete's multi-tasking having exceeded his capabilities – (I was wondering how the burning was taking place :p)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  3. callous

callous Member

AnyDVD is not a transcoder/encoder.

It is used to remove the protection on a DVD so that it can be copied with another program like Recode (included with Nero). Think of it as DVDDecrypter only in the form of a driver instead of a program.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Also, besides Pete's excellent choices, there is the new Shrink 3.2 which is very good and free. It does need a burner which Decrypter or Nero will do. in fact with shrink you don't have to buy AnyDvd and decrypter is free also..

As callous said AnyDVD works well with Nero's recode and you would only have to open and use recode as far as operational purposes.

5. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

Thanks for the replies, yes, my favorite method is to use DVDDecrypter for decoding the movie and then use DVDShrink to compress. I then either use Nero ot just burn it with DVDDecrypter with the newer version of DVDShrink. Actually, a few versions back of DVDShrink which I believe was 3.0b beta or something like that was my best because of the speed. I could do a deep analysis in about 1 1/2 hrs, then backup in about 1 1/2 hrs and burn in 14 minutes through Nero. I just always used DVDDecrypter because some movies Shrink couldn't decode DVDDecrypter usually always will. I like the newer version 3.2 of Shrink but it really seems very slow compared to earlier versions and I always use deep analysis because of the every frame analysis instead of the only 1 frame in 100 without it. The quality of the newer Shrink I believe is better but the older version is pretty darn good also. Just like to try different things, mainly for reduction of the time consuming process. I've had mixed problems without using deep analysis but don't believe I ever had a problem with a nice backup and replay when using deep analysis.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

The new shrink is slower with deep analysis and the AEC settings, but the quality is far superior to the old. The way I look at it is what's a hour when you'll be watching the movie for years?

Also, on the AEC settings, I have found that max smoothness is usually the best setting. I was a beta tester for 3.2 and I also noted deep analysis is not needed until after about 10%, so that could speed up your burn times.

7. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

Bigorange

Until after about 10% of what? You mean if you need less than 10% compression it is not needed. I prefer the newest Shrink version also for quality. I am running a Pentium lll 1ghz now and I am sure when I upgrade to my Pentium lV 3 ghz 800 FSB it will make quite a differnce in the analysis. I already have fast 7200 rpm ATA133 hard drives.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Yes, 10% compression. The P4 will make a difference, I have the P4 2.8, but you're still looking at 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a backup.

If it's gonna take any longer than that and if compression reaches 40% or more I prefer DVDRebuilder/CCE which takes 3 to 4 hours but delivers quality indistinguishable from the original at 50% and more compression. (yes I said at 50% or more) :)

9. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

bigorange

Isn't CCE expensive, I believe I looked into that at one time.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not really when you consider it has the same engine as CCE SP at 2,000.00(that may be what you're thinking of).

CCE basic is 58.00, the bad part is the trial is worthless, so in order to really check it out one must buy.:(

On a bright note DVDRebuilder and decrypter, the other 2 apps we use wth it are free. :)

11. searcher1

searcher1 Member

bigorange,

First let me say hello to everyone.

I also have DVDRebuilder/CCE, It's the best!
    I noticed you were a beta tester for Shrink 3.2
    I would like to know what you think of the quality of the AEC feature in 3.2. I think it is remarkable, It adds a whole new level of quality over previous versions of Shrink. I have had great results with shrink with compression of 35%, have you tried this and if so what do you think?

Also, I have never tried deep analysis and I have never had a problem. QUESTION, does deep analysis improve the quality of the backup? or is it for another purpose? Like I said I never used deep analysis, I always compare my backups too the originals and the quality is great, Am I missing something?

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

searcher, most definitely! I tested shrink up to 50% in various stages and I recommend using deep analysis for anything over at least 15%. It will add an hour to your time, but what's an hour compared to a movie you'll watch for years down the road?

The deep analysis adds another pass to the encoding. Since you use RB/CCE you realize it's superior quality comes from CCE Basic making 2 passes instead of one. In fact, CCE SP, it's 2,000.00 older brother has the exact same engine as CCE basic, the difference is it will do multiple passes of 4, 5, or whatever.

With this in mind you can see that the number of passes is extremely important. This played a factor in Mr. Shrink's development of the new 3.2 as RB/CCE was brought into the fray later for testing along with DVD2One, DVDCopy 2, and Instantcopy 8.

One other thing, altho AEC settings vary from movie to movie. For example, when testing I used LOTR-ROTK and the sharp default setting seemed to be the best. DDLooping suggested I try max smoothness after testing was over and even tho for LOTR-ROTK the default sharp setting was the best it turns out the overall best setting seems to be Max smoothness for most movies.

Again, it does change for some movies, but as a rule of thumb I suggest using max smoothness if you don't have time to test.

Hope this helps, btw, after all the different compressions(5 compressions from 90 to 50% for each app) that were used to test with those 4 apps I never want to see LOTR-ROTK again for at least 20 years. LOL

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi seacher1,

Actually the testing is still on going -

Data is being gathered to ascertain the best setting for different types of movies.

Certain movies with fog, mist, smoke or flame seems to become "blocky" under maximum compression and there maximum smoothness seems to reduce dramatically or even eliminate that "block ness" all together. Other "fast", "action" types seem better in the default or maximum sharpness settings.

Several B&W movies seem to show little to no difference between the original (being a 1:1 copy) and a copy done at 60% OR even 50% compression using the DVD Shrink's Deep Analysis and all 4 Quality Enhancement settings.

More samples need to be analyzed and the results posted for any and all to see. The end results should prove interesting.

Cheers,

Pete

14. searcher1

searcher1 Member

bigorange,

I've only watched LOTR-ROTK ONCE so I'll be doing some testing of my own.

Thanks for the timley response too my questions. your answers were so complete you left me with nothing else too ask.

I would also like to thank you and scubapete and all the others that I can't remember by name for the time and effort you guys put into helping those of us that are just starting out, without your knowledge and experience I would still be on first base!

THANKS AGAIN AND HAPPY TRAILS.
    P.S. If you are Roy Rogers fan you know what I mean.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Unfortunately I am old enuff to know Roy Rogers and Trigger, it was reruns and I was just a wee lad, but nevertheless....

Anyway, you're quite welcome :)

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok, Ok, I'll let the guy from Tennessee have the horse, me, I'll take Dale Evans :)

Cheers,

Pete

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Pete, Dale wouldn't go home with me, the horse would.;)

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(I wonder if that was a demonstration of "Horse sense" ?)