1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnyDVD + NeroRecode? Decent combination? Tips?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bengilz07, Apr 6, 2007.

1. bengilz07

bengilz07 Member

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, but you guys seems like a very knowledgeable community... so, I'm sure you'll be able to help, and hopefully, I'll be able to help some in the future. :)

Anyway, I've used DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink successfully in the past, but as I was researching ripping techniques for a particularly tricky movie, I found out that Nero Recode is the newer reincarnation of DVD Shrink.

Great! I thought, as I had just purchased Nero 7 UE. However, I know the folks at Nero are very touchy about copy protected material, and who can blame them... I had heard some nice things about a neat app called AnyDVD, and since it seemed exactly what I was looking for, went ahead and picked up a copy of it.

It was smooth sailing for a while, but I've run into some trouble with the new Rocky Balboa DVD. I've successfully ripped the film to my HD using both AnyDVD's ripper as well as Nero Recode, but for some reason, I can't seem to successfully compile/burn a DVD.

Anyway, any suggestions for tweaking AnyDVD/Nero Recode? Did I waste my money on AnyDVD? And while I hate to not use what I payed for, should I ditch Nero Recode?

Also, I realize there's a separate thread for Rocky Balboa, so I'll post there, but any tips would be much appreciated! (I'm about to try FixVTS on the files)

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I don't have any problem using AnyDVD and Recode. I don't think it's a great idea to use the AnyDVD ripper though.

Put your movie in the drive.

Verify that AnyDVD is active by the red, not grey, fox head in your system tray.

Open Nero Recode.

Select if you want the main movie title only or the entire DVD.

Browse for the drive your movie is in.

Once the movie is analysed you can leave everything in or remove audio streams, subtitles.

For the burn don't use the Burn at once feature.

For better quality you can use the Advanced analysis.

Make sure your blank is in the drive and spinning. Once it is, set your burn speed to 1/2 the rated speed of the media.

Start the process.

For this post I'm using Recode to burn Rocky to a folder. I burned it already with AnyDVD/CloneDVD last night so I'm just checking this for you.............. OK, Recode has finished, no problems, no errors.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I use that combo from time to time.Using anydvd in the background,it's like a 1 program process.Dvd shrink and autoburning with nero6 is my main process. Sometimes I have to enable anydvd in the background.

Only when dvd shrink and anydvd won't rip some of the newer flicks,then I'll use Recode2,main movie only:

People couldn't back up entire disc of SawIII,Grudge2,and stranger than fiction-when they hit the shelves,but no trouble with main movie only for them using Recode2 and Anydvd in the background.

Dvd decrypter: Great for non compressed 1:1 copies-ripping Dual layer or single layer dvd-5 flicks,but any compression-you still have to go through dvd shrink.It does have a couple settings to help get you rip damaged dvds-crc errors.

It's nice have several different ways to backup a dvd,especially with the newer/evolving encryptions.

My first option is always dvd shrink/autoburn with nero/shutting down anydvd. 3 programs,but nero and anydvd being in the background-it's still like a 1 program process.

Any problems,I'll enable anydvd. This method,I can keep track of what movies shrink can and can't handle.

Still problems with shrink/anydvd,then I'll keep anydvd enabled and use recode2. Usually no problem after that.

4. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

I have anydvd but since i like to work from the hard drive to avoid surprises, i use fabdecrypter or ripit4me most of the times.

fabdecrypter/recode2/imgburn are a sweet trio.

5. bengilz07

bengilz07 Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the informative responses and warm welcome.

I'll be sure to post my results soon!

6. dbmay75

dbmay75 Member

Plain and simple, this is how I copied Rocky Balboa:

1. Install and/or open RipIt4Me (make sure you have both DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter installed prior to this step - find all three via Google)
    2. Follow the prompts and you will eventually end up at DVD Shrink where you can choose what you want to burn or not (i.e. French language tracks, etc.)
    3. If you're using 4.7GB media like me and you don't need to see Stallone speak French, you'll end up at around 53% compression (the average viewer won't notice) and you will have lost about an hour of your life to save $16 at Target.

Enjoy!

7. bengilz07

bengilz07 Member

Thanks, but i already knew about those programs. I just wanted help with the ones I've previously purchased.

Oh, and here's the trick: I let the dvd's rip/burn whenever I'm not going to be on the computer and while I sleep. This way I save $16 and can work fewer shifts at Eddie Bauer... Mostly free movies (Netflix) and more time to watch them. Nice, eh?

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  8. XxRUINSxX

XxRUINSxX Regular member

I use AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter, and Nero Recode most of the time. For some of the new Sony movies I use Ripit4me, so far unbeatable progs.