1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnyDVD - Worth the $'s?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GenPatton, Jan 15, 2005.

1. GenPatton

GenPatton Member

I've been using DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and Nero to backup my dvds. I've heard alot about AnyDVD on this forum (which is superb!) and am thinking about buying it. My question is as follows:

1. What does AnyDVD provide that the other freeware/software that I mentioned above does not?

Any and all responses are MUCH APRRECIATED! THANKS!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

AnyDVD works slightly different than the programs you listed. It runs in the background so you don't even know its there except for the icon in your tray. With it running, any dvd you play or try to rip looks like it has no encryption and no region code. It will work with just about any program or software player.It is also one of the few decrypters that is updated to remove the new dvd encryption now being used. Its not a burning program, just a decrypter that runs behind everything. Yes I think its worth the money. It was designed to work with CloneDVD. The 2 working together will do just about any dvd out there including the rip to your HD, compressing to fit a blank disc, lets you edit while still keeping the menu working and burns back automatically. Both have free trial downloads for 15 or 20 days to try out. Both are worth the money.

Jerry

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

or try dvd43 v3.04 (its free). While it wont do the newer structure protection, the new v. of dvd decrypter will and therefore you dont pay a single $$
    DVD43 sits in your tray and makes the dvd appear region/encryption free. it works well with nve and shrink

4. GenPatton

GenPatton Member

Hey Jerry - Thanks for the info. Based on your description, I'm assuming that I don't need CloneDVD in order for AnyDVD to be effective.

Thanks Man!

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

clone dvd/nero vision express/any other encoding program unable to encode encrypted dvds needs dvd43 or anydvd. They are designed to back up css free movies (home movies). DVD43/Anydvd/Dvdidle Pro etc adds the ability to back up encrypted movies using these programs

6. GenPatton

GenPatton Member

DeadCat -

Based upon your description AnyDVD ELIMINATES the need for any other type of Decryption softare. As such, I could use Nero to rip and burn without having to use DVDDecrypter to crack the code.

Thanks Cat!

7. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

basically yes. So does dvd43/dvdidle/and others. Its just that some do it better than others,some cost more than others, some dont work with all encoding programs.
    Essentialy it allows the burning program to view the movie as a home movie

8. GenPatton

GenPatton Member

Cat -

Got the same burner as you. Kicks_ass!

Thanks for all your knowledge!

9. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

the AO8?? sure does. the other 2 are rubbish compared to it. And i can recommend the firmware hack avail from www.rpc1.org that allows unlocked rip/burn speeds for all media and region free. However if you want good backups still only burn at 4x or less using good media. Save the speed stuff for data. I burn all my discs at 50% rated speed and havent had a prob yet

10. GenPatton

GenPatton Member

You got it bro - A08 - Da Best!

BTW - I'm backing up Starsky & Hutch at write speed 16x verbatim. Can't tell backup from original!

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its good that 16x burns are working for you but with different brands of media it may not. Just keep in mind that the faster you burn past 4x the more chance of burn errors.
    Dvd43 is a good free program similar to AnyDVD but it isn't as good at decrypting and as stated before AnyDVD is updated for the new encryption. I have both but only use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 for my backups.

Jerry

12. icetom

icetom Member

copy any dvd with anydvd, have over 100 sofar, what would that be worth to you?? copy no hassels.