1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anydvd

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by jcfree, Jul 6, 2007.

1. jcfree

jcfree Member

I used to use dvd shrink and dvddecriptor. Now, I use anydvd to rip the dvd to my harddrive and then dvd shrink and dvdedriptor to burn the dvd. This is slow, long and kludgy. Is there a better way??? It was so good in the old days....
    Thanks
    Jay

2. JVC

JVC Active member

With AnyDVD running in the background, you should be able to rip with Shrink, then burn, just like the old days. Occasionally, when you find a movie that Shrink won't rip this way, then try the rip with AnyDVD, then run Shrink and burn software.

About 95% of my movies are done with DVD Shrink w/Nero, and AnyDVD running in the background.

3. jcfree

jcfree Member

hmmmmmm, maybe my copy of dvd shrink has gone bad because I get an error message on every attempt, hence the change I described above. Never could figure out how to set up Nero, never really tried too hard either as the other worked. BTW, how about using roxio DVD creator 9? I use that to make extra copies at times and it works PDQ.
    thank

4. JVC

JVC Active member

If Roxio works for you, use it.
    I, personally, don't like Roxio. Nero is so much better, especially with dvds. I liked Roxio ok for cds though.

In Shrink's preferences, there's a box to check, that says: "Enable burning with Nero". When Shrink finishes it's job, it automatically opens Nero, and it does it's thing.

A lot of people, including me, couldn't have Roxio and Nero on the computer at the same time. They don't play well together. It caused too many problems. When I removed Roxio, I had no more problems.
    Good luck!

BTW........
    If Shrink has a problem ripping a movie, use DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip. Since it doesn't compress, you can then use Shrink on the DVDFab files, and then burn normally. DVDFab does bypass the newer copy protections very well (will have to disable AnyDVD, when using DVDFab). Get DVDFab Decrypter here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

like how long is it taking? you might try do a clean reinstall of dvd shrink

you may want to try using clonedvd 2 with anydvd this is your best combo IMO, very simply

heres a guide that may help to

http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  6. jcfree

jcfree Member

Long would be
    Anydvd ripper ~ 20 min
    DVDShrink first pass ~ 20 min
    To make ISO and burn DVD up to 2 hours

The whole process used to take just under an hour and was automatic. Now, I rip and then open DVDShrink to handle the rest from the files AnyDVD made.

Every once in a while, I replace my video drivers and the speed returns but is only fleeting.
    Jay

7. jshinevar

jshinevar Member

I have recently purchased the whole slysoft collection... yes I know I had to spend some of that hard earned money... but it was worth it. CloneDVD 2 will copy a movie in about 45 min on my slow ass laptop... so take that for what it's worth.

8. JVC

JVC Active member

A slow ripping and burning process can be because the drive(s) have somehow gone into PIO mode. It needs to be in DMA mode. Try this:
    To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.
    Good luck!

9. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yes being a laptop thats about right for all the steps your using

and yes your way better off using clonedvd 2 + anydvd

but as said make sure your drive/burner in in DMA mode not PIO mode heres a guide that will help

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038

10. jcfree

jcfree Member

Thanks for the DMA info, I checked and DMA is turned on in Vista. Since I started all this, I installed Vista on my machine and I now have triple boot option, Vista, Win2K pro, and DOS. Can't seem to get shrink to work in vista, says it can't find the directory. Think I can solve this but any suggestions are always appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jay

11. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

go to www.dvdfab.com much quicker program

12. jcfree

jcfree Member

I already tried the dvdfab. It did a very good job but did not add any speed. As I said earlier, seems my video drivers get corrupted and when I renew them in the control panel hardware the machine speeds up for a while but eventually slows again. Beats me and it sure is a pain.