1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone can recommend good program(s) for editing VobSub subtitles?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by 3island18, Nov 19, 2013.

1. 3island18

3island18 Member

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows any good program to do the following tasks with VobSub (.sub + .idx). It doesn't have to be only one program, a couple of programs with each of its function to do each task, used in conjunction, are totally okay too.

====================

Here's my situation.

So I've obtained certain VobSub subtitles, they're Chinese. It's for that anime, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which has 110 eps of main OVA, 52 eps of Gaiden, and 3 movies (total 165 eps). These particular VobSub, instead of 1 subs file for 1 eps, 1 subs file contain 3 consecutive subs for 3 eps, ie. joined. Actually these VobSub came from certain encodes which combined 3 eps per MKV file. They're DVD rips, and I guess, the encoder just encoded whole one DVD disc into a MKV, instead of splitting each eps into separate MKVs.

Now, what I want to do is, to use these VobSub for the obviously far better quality BD rips, which are, as usual, 1 eps per 1 mkv. So I need to do the following tasks with these VobSub files:

1. Splitting and joining
    I need to split each VobSub into 3 new VobSub, ie. 1 subs file = 1 eps. I may also need to join a few subs, since I saw this: for example, for some weird reason, several subs which are supposed to be in eps 1-4 subs file, particularly towards the end part, are somehow NOT included in the aforementioned subs file, but appear on eps 5-7 subs, particularly on the beginning part of the episode (ep 5). it looks like the encoder cut the subs at the wrong part?

2. Re-shifting time and retiming each subs individually as needed
    After splitting the VobSub into new 3 files, the next step would be to reshift/retime the subtitle timing, particularly the subs for the episodes which were in the middle/latter part. And I may need the ability to edit the subtitle timing on several individual subs manually, as I see some subs are too fast or just appear at undesireable timing. It would be great if there's a wave form graphic or something to look at for accuracy, like when I use AegiSub or VisualSubSync. Too bad these programs don't support VobSub format.

That's it I think? Thanks.

2. 3island18

3island18 Member

For you reference, these were the programs I've tried to use, but didn't produce a satisfying result.

====================

Subtitle Edit can open VobSub, but they're asking for OCRing it into text based subs, not actually able to edit the VobSub. Besides, is there any program which can handle OCRing Chinese? I'm not sure, but..., anyway, I don't want and don't need to OCR the subs into a text based one. I want to keep it as it is. It already looks beautiful on
    its own.

There are also several programs that looks like can work (eg. DVDSubEdit), but turn out only supporting DVD (VOB, IFO, SUP format).

I've also tried SubtitleCreator. It can open and edit VobSub, though it lacks efficiency. to split the VobSub, I delete manually the unnecessary subs. Then I found that for some weird reason, there are a lot of subs which background are turning white, not transparent the way it should be. I tested the subs with MPC + DirectVobSub (KL Codec Pack), they're transparent. but somehow SubtitleCreator show them as white, and if I save it as a new VobSub files, the white background then would show up if I play the newly created file on MPC. So then I manually change the background transparent (choosing the white box no 00), and there's no other way than clicking the problematic subs one by one and click-choose the white box no 00 on the upper right. no keyboard
    shortcut, no "do this on selected subs", I even can't select more than one sub sctually. So after I done editing around a hundred problematic subs, I save it, then play it. To my horror, several Chinese characters looks mangled (the ones which I changed its BG transparency), some stroke lines are gone/erased, make it inelligible. failed...

So I hope someone could enlightened me in this image based subs debacle.

3. attar

attar Senior member