1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone copy dvds with memorex?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by scurvy, Apr 26, 2003.

1. scurvy

scurvy Member

i've always used their cdrs, wondering if their dvd-rs are good for backup ps2 games.

2. knoxl

knoxl Guest

I use TDK DVD-R media and it works fine, but I think memorex is good some people say they are. Just buy a single dvd-r first then try that, if it works buy more. At least you know you won't be wasting money if you do it that way.

3. AftarDawn

AftarDawn Member

Dude TDK workes great for ps2, just stay away from the brand "K-Hypermedia" ive made coasters with that crap, not good for ps2 backup.

4. scurvy

scurvy Member

i dont think most stores like best buy sell single dvd discs do they? if they do they are really expensive like 7 bucks, and then a 20 pack is like 30$

5. toolband

toolband Guest

Do not use the memorex, i have made about 20 coasters with the memorex dvd's, only one game has worked successfully. I would steer clear of them.

6. ps2bot

ps2bot Guest

Memorex? you better stay away from this brand, I mean if you wanna back up ps2 games.
    What I have tested DVD-R brands for ps2 games are, (in best to worst order, with Sony DRU-500AX)
    1, Sony (rarely heard prople used this brand, but it did perfect job! no or very little noise, but the price...@_@)
    2, Verbatim (excellent, a little noise while loading, price? somewhat high)
    3, Ritek (good working copies and important... cheap)
    4, TDK (seemed no difference with Ritek, price might be higher than Ritek)
    5, Mitsumi (no big difference either, price is the highest compared with Ritek and TDK)
    6, Fuji (so so, backup working but found noise)
    7, Pioneer (too expensive, game sometimes frozen)
    8, Memorex (1 working, 1 coaster, too noise)
    9, Princo (2 coasters, gave up)
    This is my experience, so now I would only stick with the top 3, Sony, Verbatim, Ritek. Maybe your story will be different. Try and find what you need. good luck.
    "Get what you pay" semms always right. :)

7. ghostmyst

ghostmyst Member

Memorex are good...I have a v4 PS2 burned with a Sony DRX-500UL...I have burned 32 dvd-memorex discs with it.....NO PROBLEM

8. FlyBy

FlyBy Guest

The circuit city near my house sells single DVD+rs. I use memorex and Verbatim, have had no problems with eiter. To me they both seem the same.

9. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

I use TDK...they are great !!! I bought single DVD-R from CompUSA, they run about $4.00. Stay away from Memorex.

sirmugen

10. daclown81

daclown81 Member

I've used about 35 memorex dvd-r's with my Sony DRX_500UL Drive now and haven't had any problems at all. So I verify that they work fine.

11. carranza

carranza Member

57 copies with Memorex, NONE have failed. The brand is a minor problem. One good adjusted laser reads almost all brands.

12. c7015

c7015 Regular member

Ive used memorex and had mixed results if I were you I would go for a different brand. I fyou dont mind paying the price verbatim are the best and if you want a cheap disc that is gaurenteed to work go with ritek(best disc for the money)

13. Super106

Super106 Member

Can I just ask?

What software do you used with the Memorex disc?

Because I've got Sony DRX_500UL and use Ritek disc, with many software e.g. Nero, Alcohol 120, RecordNow Max, Primo DVD. None seems to work for me. It burn successfully (according to the software), but when I came to try it on my PS2 console (with Messiah 2 chip fitted), it don't boot up.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  14. carranza

carranza Member

Super106: I use Alcohol 120% and works every time with Memorex, Maybe your laser azimuth needs to be adjusted.

15. Super106

Super106 Member

Thanks carranza for you reply.

Just wondering, do I need to adjust the laser azimuth even though my PS2 console is brand new (approximately 2 weeks old).

If so, how do I go about adjusting the laser? or can you direct me to the page with useful information about doing this.

Many thanks

16. carranza

carranza Member

Yes, it could happen on Brand New Consoles, this is because Sony adjust the default for reading DVD-ROM (Original) Games not DVD-R Games that have weaker readings.

Follow the comments on this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/30614 , it has a guide for Laser Azimuth adjustment, I have fixed 3 Consoles with this guide. One of then refuses to load TDK discs and I know the copy was ok (because I could play it on another console), I follow this guide until TDK disks works, it is not as hard as it seems, once adjusted try the other media, sure it works.

17. ps2bot

ps2bot Guest

try to use the latest Nero, 5.5.10.20, I believe. Ritek should work fine.
    BTW, How come can you use Primo DVD to burn backups? it doesnt work with SONY 500, the newer replacement app RecordNow does.

18. Super106

Super106 Member

Sorry mate I was wrong.

You were right the Primo DVD doesn't support Sony500 drive.

Even though, I have already tried using the latest Nero Buring Software, RecordNow Max, and Alcohol. The B*****d disc just won't boot up.

I guessed I do need to adjust my laser according to carranza, as this is the only method I can try.

But thanks anyway ;)

19. carranza

carranza Member

Keep me posted for your results, sure it works. Regards

20. Super106

Super106 Member

Have not done the laser adjustment yet

But just to let you know, my PS2 with Messiah 2 chip fitted is capable of playing other backup games (e.g. the ones I brought back from other countries) except the ones which I burn myself.

Also from previous message you sent me the link for laser adjustment. But that message is only for Neo or Magic chip, will it still work for my Messiah2 chip?

Cheers