1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else having no success with sony DVD-R's?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kjmuscles, Jan 15, 2005.

1. kjmuscles

kjmuscles Member

I am a little new to all this, only having my dvd burner for about 2 months now. I have purchased 3 25 packs of sony dvd-r with media code SONY08D1. I don't get a chance to watch a lot of them after I burn them. It is usually a week or 2 in some cases before I watch some of them. Well, I have had a horrible time getting any of them to copy without any bad skips or pauses in the movie. Just recently I have decided to recopy my sony DVD-R movies onto some verbatim dvd-r and ridata dvd+r(which I heard were good by reading on this site). All my sony dvd-r disks get a crc error when trying to read them or encode them with dvdshrink or dvddecryptor(even with the settings that scuba pete mentioned). Most of them are in perfect condition too, but even then I still clean them before trying, and nothing.

I have copied 3 movies on ridata and 2 on my verbatim and all 5 of those movies are perfect with no read crc errors, according to dvdinfo.

I warn people who are wondering what meida to use, to stay away from sony. I have about a 1 in 6 or 7 success rate with them, in 3 different spindles. And even ones that will play alright on my home dvd player, will get crc errors if you try and recopy them onto a better quality disk, or for a friend or family member.

Anyone else have trouble with sony dvd-r's?

Oh yeah and I don't know if it matters or not, but I am useing a micro advantage dual layer dvd burner, and it wasn't cheap.

2. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

....I have had great luck with Sony. Alot of times its not the media but the DVD player that is finky. My sony DVD player hated everything but verbatim and my JVC plays TDK,Sony and verbatim....

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The sony +1-8x aren't too bad. I can get 16x out of them if I don't double check my burn settings.These are coded d11. These are made in Japan. I don't care for the sony's made in taiwan.

When i try to re-rip my backup copy, High quality media is a must along with a 4x burn. I haven't tried that on the sony +1-8x's yet.

4. kjmuscles

kjmuscles Member

My biggest problem is that using dvdinfo on them, pretty much all of them have a bunch of crc errors, so that has nothing to do with what player I am using, right? I don't know if they can have crc errors yet still play fine in a home dvd player? Like I said I am new to this.

And it is impossible to recopy them, because every time I try, I get a crc error, no matter how much I clean them. It sucks, cause now I have to basically start over, using ridata and verbatim disks. No problems with them yet and I have also tried to see if dvddecryptor and dvdshrink could recopy them and they were all a success. How can all my sony's be unreadable from 3 different spindles? Most of them are perfect and haven't even been watched yet.

This bugs the hell out of me. Almost all of the disks will get a crc error when I try to recopy them, and maybe half of them won't play in my dvd player without skipping or pausing. That sounds like it is not the player but the media right? Since they all have crc errors?

Now that I have dvdinfo and better media, I should have better results, but I just wondered if anyone else found it impossible to recopy from the sony's without getting crc errors?

5. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Are your discs Taiwan or Japan?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I bought a 50 pk. of Sony DVD-r's a couple weeks back and have been very pleased with them. There are no specks around the outer edge, which can lead to skipping and stuttering if you use the majority of the available disc space. I have noticed this with some of the fuji and even some Verbatim movie reel discs, which is a brand I usually like. The dye is consistant all the way to the edge with the Sony's I am using, which is hard to find these days.

7. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I bought a 50 pk. of Sony DVD-r's a couple weeks back and have been very pleased with them. There are no specks around the outer edge, which can lead to skipping and stuttering if you use the majority of the available disc space. I have noticed this with some of the fuji and even some Verbatim movie reel discs, which is a brand I usually like. The dye is consistant all the way to the edge with the Sony's I am using, which is hard to find these days.

8. kjmuscles

kjmuscles Member

Wouldn't the specs on the outer edge cause skips at the end of the movie?? I get them at the begginning of some and at the end of some, also in the middle of some. Or I get crc errors in dvdinfo, at the begginning of the movie, in the middle and at the end of some.

I don't know where they were made, I don't have the outer spindle cover with all the info. They have media code SONY08D1, if that says were they were made I don't know. All I know is that they suck and from 3 different spindles too. My ridata's are so much better. It sucks having to start over, it would be much easier if I could actually get something to read the sony dvd-r's so I could just recopy all of them to ridata or verbatim.

9. jay33

jay33 Regular member

SONY08D1 is the same code I have on my Sony -r's. Mine were made in japan, so perhaps you got some from taiwan. All I know is the surface of these dics is flawless an dI haven't had a bit of trouble with burning or playback. These are some of the best I've used in quite a while.

If you are getting skips and stuff at the beginning and end of the disc, then that sounds like uneven dye spread. It usually is more of a problem at the outer edge, but sometimes you do get it at the beginning, which sucks.

Try Maxell -r's. Office Depot has 15 pk. for 4.99. They are very good.

10. forkndave

forkndave Member

You haven't been putting labels on these, have you? I used to do that and had problems just like you describe. Removing the labels cured the problem. I have since switched to printable DVDs and no more problems of that sort. As far as Sony goes I didn't have any more problems with them than anything else. Last year Walmart had some Sony -R DVDs on sale that were made in Austria. They seemed to work fine. Those were the only Austian DVDs I've ever seen. I don't know what the code on them was. I remember that Sony was in the code, though.

11. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

...what brand is your dvd player?.........

12. driso

driso Member

I have had great luck with sony brand -r, every pack that I have bought identified as made by sony.

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey forkndave, I got a pack of the sony -4x 5pack with jewel cases that had different colors. They were made in austria. The code on them was sony o4D1. That is the same code as my 25 spindle of dvd-r 4x sony-made in taiwan.The austrian discs are sold by walmart.Somebody gave them to me because they couldn't burn -. They were ok but I burned them very slow.I didn't use them on my important backups.I don't want to waste my time trying to re-rip them.

That sucks having the same code on discs made in 2 different countries.

14. forkndave

forkndave Member

I only bought them because they were a little cheaper and the ones that I bought came 6 in a package instead of the usual 5. They seemed to work OK for me. I'm not sure I have any of them now. Those were back in the days when I used labels and they could have been tossed. I order all my DVDs from the internet now, so I haven't used any Sony discs for quite a while.

15. kjmuscles

kjmuscles Member

Bingo we have a winner! I did start putting labels on them and was about to ask if that could have caused all the problems. I just gave dodgeball to my sister to watch over the weekend and she gave it back and said it didn't work. I had watched it 2 times on 2 different DVD players and it worked fine. Since then I had gotten the label maker for christmas and had put labels on all my disks. This made me wonder if that was the problem. How in the heck can the labels cause read errors? Oh well, at least I figured out what was wrong. Hope it isn't hard to get these damn labels off. I was just about to throw these sony's out too. Thanks guys for all your help!

16. hackwolf

hackwolf Member

I've had good luck so far with all the dvdr's I've bought. I've used the compusa brand up to sony. I buy whatever is on sale and rarely get a bad burn. I'd say avoid the labels and dont touch the computer while it's burning your final disc. Thats what I've learned. Trial and error kind of thing. Hope this helps.

17. kjmuscles

kjmuscles Member

Dude, what is the easiest way to get these damn labels off?

18. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

.......from what I have seen is that labels cause DVD's to heat up quick in DVD players that already don't like Burnt DVD's....

19. hackwolf

hackwolf Member

maybe try rubbing alcohol to get the labels off? never had to get them off before.

20. sakmd

sakmd Member

kjmuscles...

sorry to hear about you probs w/ the sony dvd-r's. before i switched over to taiyo yunden printables, i had burned about 160 sony. that includes both 4x (made in taiwan) and 8x (made in japan).

i did have a few problems w/ my inital burns. something like two or three in the first 8 i burned. i had also been placing labels on them, and burned at 4x. at the time, not knowing much about any of this stuff. even after reading here that labels can be bad, i continued to label them anyway. but i slowed my write speed down to 2.4x. since then, even w/ labels on, i never had problem. i've lent a number of these to friends and no problems have been reported as yet. however, i've yet to see if there will be any long term effects of the labels. so, while initally, the labels don't seem to be a problem for me, perhaps a yr from now i'll have to try a few out to see if there are any long term effects. if you continue to have problems after ceasing to label the discs, then try lowering your write speed. in general, i believe, that sony is up there with the more reliable media.

as i mentioned above, i just made the switch to taiyo yuden inkjet printables since i just purchased an epson r200 soley for the purpose of labeling dvds. that's another option for you (the epson r200 and inkjet printable media) should you still want to label your dvds and not chance it anymore with adhesive labels. the printer is fairly inexpensive and does a bang up job!

as far as removing the labels....i wouldn't recommend it, and generally, trying to do so could further damage the dvd. the labels i used were the memorex ones. and they stick on pretty darn well! one of the coasters i had, i actually tried removing the label just to see, and it wouldn't come off. a lot of the adhesive part was still stuck on to the surface. granted, the only method i used was just trying to peel it off by hand. i tried this with a dvd i knew i wasn't trying to salvage. so if you are trying to save a dvd do not try just peeling it off. i haven't heard, or read, of any tried and true methods of successfully removing labels. perhaps someone else here may be able to share a method that works. if i were you, i'd just get a copy of the movie again and redo it. and as i mentioned above, try to lower your write speed. if you wrote at 4x try lowering to 2.4x. if you were writing at max, then lower it to 4x. from what i read on the forums here, most seem to agree that burning at a max of 4x will cut down on a lot of errors.

oh and as far as how the lablels cause problems....here's what i've read...one, as bbthumper mentioned, dvds tend to get hot, therefore causing the label to heat up, which can apparently be a prob. also, in general, regardless of heat, labels can sometimes cause misbalancing of the dvd itself, causing some players to have a problem handling them.

hope some of this is of some help...and best of luck w/ your future burns!

sakmd