1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else having probs w/ memorex 4x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvd_tim, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

I have been using memorex 4x disks for some time without any problems at all, but i just bought 200 disks of them from amazon.com and they are total junk. i have always bought the printables, but these 200 are a little different , they are now printable all the way to the hub, they never use to be. anyways they are mcc 's (which is supposable good) and although they are packaged as 4x, they all read as 8x. i am burning coasters 3 out of 4 disks. I am PISSED, memorex has lost my business. I am curious if i got a bad batch or has anyone else had this problem ?

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Thats the thing about memorex, its only a matter of time before you get a bad batch. I stopped using memorex a long time ago, so I can't offer any personal experience with these disks, but I have heard that amazon.com has really great customer service, and that they have even refunded peoples money when notified about bad media. I'd suggest getting in touch with them and seeing if you can get your money back.

3. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I never understand why some people just want to save a few pennys. I have heard nothing good about memorex ever, I never bothered with their DVD-R's because I had enough trouble with their CD-R's

I can save a whole 3 cents per disc by buying memorex discs in the 100 spindle over my regular brands, So when it comes down to choices, I can either save the $3.00 and have problems with my burns or spend an extra $3.00 and have no problems with making my backups, I certainly will pay the $3.00, but some people will do just about anything to save such a little amount of money. I work in retail and have seen it all, I could write a book on what some people will do to save a nickel.

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

I had a terrible time with Memorex 4x DVD-R. I will never use them again. As many people here have already pointed out, you never quite know what you're going to get, so it's just not worth the risk. Are you sure they id'd as MCC and not CMC ? I must admit I find that a bit odd.

5. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

Yes they ID as mcc, thats what is odd, thats supposed to be reliable, i'm contacting amazon , hopfully they'll give me some money back.

6. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

i bought a 25-pack of 8x dvd+r and got 2 out of 20 so far. it could be my burner or it could be the memorex. i have used memorex cd-r and cd-rw for the longest i can remember and never had any problems. wish i can say the same about their dvd+r discs. uy something else and cheap out. i bought the memorex dvd+r's to test my new burner and i dont know if its my burner or the memorex but i think its memorex.

7. 222333444

222333444 Member

The memorex I have used seem to mysteriously get scratched and then fail no matter how delicately handled or who the manufacturer I.D. They work good on my Sony player and then let me down on other players at the worst of times. I ordered a life supply of ty's. So far they work fine but I haven't tested them on all players yet.

8. akirasan

akirasan Member

dvd-tim i think i had the exact same experience as you... i bought a 100 pack of memorex white hub printable 4x from compusa...first 10 or so worked great, then since then coaster after coaster! i id'd them as mcc-003, and they also could go up to 8x! anyways, i learned my lesson, went to rima.com and bought some taiyo yuden dvd-r's, work great

9. ricster

ricster Regular member

10. na_tra

na_tra Member

Wonder why you guys have bad Memorex 4x DVD-R. I've been using same brand w/same speed but DVD+R and have no problem at all. Same with my brother in law. He's uing them for business. Did you try to get your money back cuz they r defective item?

11. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

Yes these were mcc-003 disks, and although they were packaged as 4x they id as 8x and burn at 8x, makes me wonder if memorex isn't selling 8x as 4x, I have seen alot of threads about bad memorex 8x disks. I have had a 98% FAIL rate with the last batch of 200 i bought. i bought TY's they will be here today . I'll post my opinion of them. Memorex has lost my business. Also look atthe recent feedback on these disks o bought from amazon.com... i am not alone http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...0403?_encoding=UTF8&me=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS&s=photo

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dvd_tim, you said those memorex were coded as mccoo3. That is the same code on my verbatim datalife plus +8x's. Those verbs were made in japan.I can get 12x out of them and no coasters.

Can you look on that label of those memorex and see what country they were manufactured in. I haven't heard on that mcoo3 code on any memorex's. Usually prodisc and c-magnetics. I have also been hearing the + memorex's are better in quality than the -.

13. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

The reason i was having problems with memorex was my dvd burner.

Switched burners and now memorex burns at 12X (8X labeled) with no problems.

Zero coasters with memorex dvd+r 8X since i returned the defective burner.

I am also getting good results with TDK 8X. No problems so far.

14. mrman

mrman Regular member

iv used memorex a bunch of times without any problems. I used about 50 of their 4x -r which were cmc but all worked fine on my lg 4040B. I had some 8x -r but they were only burnable at 2x because of my firmware and i think lg discontinued the drive i have. I had 2 30pack of -r one was ritekg05 and the other was prodisc f01. +r were also g05 and my burner burend those at 4x

15. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

I can find no country labeled on these crappy disks, i just run them through DVD Identifer and it says they are MCC 003 . Amazon.com won't admit they sold a defective product, therefore no refund on open package, even though the reviews on this product ( about 4 threads up ) clearly show this isn't an isolated incident. I am so pissed, but i guess i shouldn't be. I should just start buying my disks in smaller quantities. I just got my TY's and have burned a couple w/o any problems. out of three TY burns i have had only one sector on one disk that was difficult to read, I also bought some office depot brand printable disks they ID as RITEKG04 , I have had no problems with them either. But come to think of it, i have never ever had any problems with any disks untell i bought the batch of 200 memorex's. LOL i use to read threads about people with bad media and not really believe it. I guess it was my turn.