1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever backed up 'The Sopranos' or 'The West Wing'

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sorr, Aug 27, 2002.

1. sorr

sorr Guest

Just wondered if anyone has ever backed up discs like these which have 3 or 4 episodes each.
    A walkthrough would be nice, but any help much appreciated.

2. kannabis

kannabis Member

Here is a thread I found and saved. Haven't tried it yet because I'm still having issues splitting a regular movie into 2 DVD-Rs even though I've read every goddam gide available to no avail....I'm just about ready to post a redundant question and get my ass flamed

snidely

How do I split a DVD with four one hour episodes?
    Ok, I would like to take the Star Trek: The Next Generation series of DVDs, which contain 4 one hour episodes per DVD 9 and split them to 2 DVD-Rs. It is easy enough to split the DVD using IfoEdit, but then the menu on the second DVD uses the same buttons as on the first side to launch the episodes, presumably because the PGCs have been renumbered (just like the chapters are renumbered on a split movie). Is there a place in IfoEdit where I can reassign a menu button to point at a different PGC, or, as an alternative, is there another way to split the DVD as to not change the PGC numbering?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

21st July 2002 19:17

snidely

Thanks, Derrow, but the R1 version does not look the same as yours. Here is the format:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_0.VOB - Contains main menu for all 4 episodes
    VTS_02_1.VOB - All four episodes are in these 8 Vobs
    VTS_02_2.VOB
    VTS_02_3.VOB
    VTS_02_4.VOB
    VTS_02_5.VOB
    VTS_02_6.VOB
    VTS_02_7.VOB
    VTS_02_8.VOB

I can split the Vobs so that 2 episodes are on each disc, but the problem comes in when trying to use the menu to launch the episodes. For example, if episodes 1 and 3 are on one disc, and 2 and 4 are on the other disc, the menu always uses the buttons for 1 and 3 on both discs. I would like to use the correct buttons to launch the correct episodes on both discs, if that is possible. The problem seems to be that there are 4 PGCs, one for each chapter, and the menu buttons each point to a different PGC. When the orignal disc is split, the second disc starts with PGC 1 and PGC 2 all over again, rather then labeling them PGC 3 and PGC 4, like they were on the original.

A similar problem occurs when splitting a movie onto 2 discs. If the movie has 30 chapters, for example, and there are 12 chapters on disc one and 18 chapters on disc 2, then the chapters on disc 2 are labeled 1 through 18, rather than the correct numbers of 19 through 30. Is there a way to renumber the chapters on the second disc to 19 through 30? Or any other way around this?

31st July 2002 09:46

Derrow

Ah, I see.
    Okay R1 seems to be a bit difficult.

Have you tried a simple Vob-ID stripping with IfoEdit ?

I guess each episode has its own VobID, so if you just strip the VobIDs of episode 1 & 2 out, then it should work properly for episode 3 and 4.

31st July 2002 12:55

snidely

Yes, I see the light

Here's the breakdown of Vob IDs:

Episode 1: 1 - 8
    Episode 2: 9 - 16
    Episode 3: 17 - 25
    Episode 4: 26 - 34

So if I strip out Vob IDs 1 - 16, then disc 2 will now have Vob Ids 17 - 34, and then the menu will now work correctly, right? I'm going to try it out right now.

Thanks, Derrow....you rock!

31st July 2002 13:33

Derrow

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by snidely

So if I strip out Vob IDs 1 - 16, then disc 2 will now have Vob Ids 17 - 34, and then the menu will now work correctly, right? I'm going to try it out right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, and the IFO gets adjusted aswell, so it should play properly (I hope )

31st July 2002 14:30

snidely

Nope, it didn't work. When I stripped out Vob IDs 1 - 16, IfoEdit renumbered Vob IDs 17 - 34 to 1 - 18, rather than leaving them at their "old" numbers, leaving me with two discs like this:

Disc one:

PGC 1: VOB IDs 1 - 8 (these are correct and work fine)
    PGC 2: VOB IDs 9 - 16
    PGC 3: No VOB IDs
    PGC 4: No VOB IDs

Disc two:

PGC 1: No VOB IDs
    PGC 2: No VOB IDs
    PGC 3: VOB IDs 1 - 9 (these PGCs are launched by the wrong menu buttons)
    PGC 4: VOB IDs 10 - 18

The original disc was like this:

PGC 1: VOB IDs 1 - 8
    PGC 2: VOB IDs 9 - 16
    PGC 3: VOB IDs 17 - 25
    PGC 4: VOB IDs 26 - 34

Does IfoEdit have the capacity to relabel the VOB IDs on disc two back to their original numbers? Or is there any way to make the menu buttons point to the new VOB IDs?

If IfoEdit were able to split a disc in two and keep all of the information from being relabeled (like chapters, VOB IDs, etc.), then the episode buttons in the main menu and chapter buttons in the chapter menu would probably all work just fine, don't you think? I'm not a programmer, so my logic could certainly be flawed

Last edited by snidely on 31st July 2002 at 17:25

31st July 2002 17:00

Derrow

quote:
    Nope, it didn't work. When I stripped out Vob IDs 1 - 16, IfoEdit renumbered Vob IDs 17 - 34 to 1 - 18, rather than leaving them at their "old" numbers.

Right, they get renumberd in the VOB files and in the IFO aswell.
    So it shouldn't matter, since the menu-buttons jump to PGC's, not to VOB-IDs.

quote:
    Does IfoEdit have the capacity to relabel the VOB IDs on disc two back to their original numbers? Or is there any way to make the menu buttons point to the new VOB IDs?

No, they can't be renamed back.
    I guess the problem now are, 2 empty PGC's. I need a look at the IFO files. Can you send me all original IFO files of one TNG disc?

1st August 2002 04:52

Derrow

I've got an idea.
    Don't strip all VOB-IDs of one PGC. Keep at least one VOB-ID, to avoid empty PGCs.

So in that case strip the VOB-IDs for
    Disc1: 2-8 and 10-16
    Disc2: 18-25 and 27-34

Lets see if this does the trick.

1st August 2002 12:51

snidely

Derrow, it worked like a charm! I did exactly as you said, and the menu now functions just fine. I am going to experiment further to see if I must retain the first Vob ID from the missing episodes, or if I can just keep any Vob ID. The first Vob ID is not necessarily the smallest, so it would be nice to just pick the smallest one, if that will work just as well.

Derrow comes through again!!