1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever heard of Cendyne combo interface DVD+/-RW drive?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by heyclem, Feb 5, 2004.

1. heyclem

heyclem Member

Hi, I just got an external DVD+/-RW drive by Cendyne. It was in a good price range, but I've never heard of the brand before. And no one on this forum seemed to have mentioned it before. So I would like to know if anyone knows is it a good brand and such.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Newer internal Cendynes were Pioneers that actually performed a bit better. The company is no longer in business.

3. heyclem

heyclem Member

Thanks for replying to my message. Actually i've gotten the drive in the mail yesterday. After hooking it up to my laptop. My computer identified it as a "NEC ND-1300A", instead of a Pioneer. I would like to know is it really a NEC or a Pioneer? and if it is really a NEC, is it good? 'cause I'm totally new to this DVD-burning thing. I just want to know which brandname is better. I heard from everyone else on this forum that Pioneer is the best. Personally I think I would like a Sony DRU-510UL, but I heard that alot of people have been having problem with it. So I don't know should I just keep my NEC or should I get the Sony one.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

As I had said the internals, like the Cendyne DVR 105 where Pioneers. The NEC 1300A is a very good drive. There's nothing special about Sony. Now just do some seaching around this forum to help you choose media and you will probably need a firnware update.

5. Palmyra

Palmyra Member

Nippon Electronic Company or NEC is one of the true heavyweights in the world of industrial electronics. Think of a cross between GE, IBM, and Intel and you have NEC.

With so much outsourcing going on today I can’t really speak about your burner. What I can say is that around 15-years ago, NEC pulled out of the consumer TV, VCR, Stereo market because it refused to compete with the Sonys and Panasonics of the world on price. NEC refused to cut quality. The company concentrated on computer parts and monitors for its consumer business. Today in conjunction with its partner Mitsubishi they make some of the best CRT and LCD monitors to be had. So much better than the crap one gets from the Dells, Gateways, and HPs of the world that it is not funny.