1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have a Pioneer DVR520 or similar?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Pattykmn, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Pattykmn

Pattykmn Member

I've decided on the Pioneer DVR520H and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on it. There's lots of info on the web but not many reviews.

Thanks

2. JHammer33

JHammer33 Member

If that is the same as the Pioneer DVR-510H I would highly recommend it. The machine can do almost anything. I just found out if you hook a DVD Player up to it you can make copies of encrypted DVD's by player them in the player and recording them with the recorder. No need for a computer and all that software jargan.

3. Pattykmn

Pattykmn Member

Way Cool!!!
    I can't remember the differences between the 510 and the 520 right now.... but I do remember as I read the manual about DVD backup -- it didn't explicitly say that it would not do copywrited material.
    In other words.... I was thinking that they were implying exactly what you said...!!
    I'll have to try it; thanks!

(p.s. alot of recorders won't copy a DVD to the harddrive and then to a disk, at all; that's one of the reasons I chose this model. Also, the DV input also works as a DV output -- that's something MANY others WON'T do!. Perhaps that is the difference between the 510 and the 520; the DV in/out?)

Again, thanks!

4. JHammer33

JHammer33 Member

The DVR-510H won't copy encrypted DVD's by itself. You need to use any regular DVD Player to play the movie with while you recorder with the seperate DVD recorder. I am sure that is how the DVR-520 will be also. Just take the outputs from the player to the inputs on the recorder and make sure you have the input on the recorder set right and your off.

5. Pattykmn

Pattykmn Member

still way cool :)