1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. jbarth

jbarth Member

I am looking at the emerson dvd recorders from Walmart and wanted to know if anyone had one and liked it and had no problems?

thanks,
    jill

2. jbarth

jbarth Member

here are the model numbers...

Emerson DVD Recorder EWR10D4
    and
    Emerson VCR/DVD Recorder Combo EWR20V4

3. mcsauer

mcsauer Member

Don't know what you decided, as it is 2 weeks later, but I purchased the Emerson DVD recorder last week, and it is a piece of junk. I bought Memorex DVD-R's at the same time, and when I inserted a blank disc into the machine, it showed a disc error. Called support, and after 45 minutes of holding, got a smart-alec tech who said that each machine is different in which brand the laser will read, and I just need to try some different brands until I find one that works. Pretty poor quality if you asked me. I'll be returning mine tomorrow.

4. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

I never have been much on Emerson products but I have never had any problems burning with my Panasonic DMR-E30 recorder. strone

5. dvdmate

dvdmate Member

The disc error is because the Emerson isn't compatible with DVD-R for General 2.0 discs (that is, discs faster than 2x). It only reads 1.0 discs 1x-2x.

Whether Emerson will address this in a firmware update is unknown - probably not.

Actually the picture quality is rather good at XP and SP mode, and it's not a bad player. It doesn't have DTS-out however, but anyone who seriously needs DTS probably won't be buying an Emerson anyway.

The only real complaints I've heard about it are that the recorder is lacking when it comes to editing, particularly in DVD-VR mode, which is not compatible with most DVD-ROM and set-top drives.

It also doesn't have a firewire iLink port for digital camcorders like many on the market, nor does it support +R/+RW discs, which are quickly becoming the standard due to support of dual-layered discs.

If you really want a quality recorder, look for a player with built-in Tivo, Chase Play, and support for both types of media (-RW and +RW). And expect to pay at least $300 and up.

Besides, what do you expect? It's the cheapest recorder on the market for a reason. I bought it because most of the so-called "quality" recorders are more than twice the cost, and it has much of the same components as the more expensive recorders but with less features. Sure it could be better, but you can't beat the price. This will hold me until I have the $$ for something better.

dvdmate

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  6. mcsauer

mcsauer Member

I agree on the price - which is the same reason I bought it. My attitude is, buy the cheap one now for an acceptable price, and when it breaks a year or so from now, prices on the good stuff will be reasonable. I received a response by way of email from Emerson (Funai), and they listed the Memorex brand of media, which has failed me, as being compatible. Waiting on a follow-up to my response. I am concerned about the -R media, as it appears that the +R media is more prevalent, less expensive, and seemingly more compatible with more equipment. I am planning on returning my recorder due to my gut feeling.

7. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Good decision.

8. gjennette

gjennette Guest

hi, i'm new and i have an emerison video/dvd recorder. i like it and have not had any problems with it once i found the right disk to use with it on recording movies that i've taped off tv. my problem is i have tons of vhs movies that i've bought over the years, i want to put to disk, but copy right protection comes up and it won't let me.is there anything out there which will help, without using my computer? all i have on it is a cd player.
    also is there a site i can find the user manuall on it, i've seem to misplaced mine.

9. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

The best and easiest way to go is a program called
    DVDXpress put out by ADS Tech. This program includes all the hardware and software you need to copy vhs to dvd. I've bought mine at Wal-Mart for about $78.00.
    You can also buy it off the internet for $138.00 I beleive. It's also simple to use. You copy your vhs to a video_ts file, I use neros video caption folder,
    then you burn that file to a dvd, and woola you dont have to worry about copyguard again. There is another route you can take to do this but I recommend this one first.

10. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Sorry I thought you had a computer steup.

11. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Route #2, record your copyguarded vhs in vcr1 to a blank vhs tape in vcr2. Make sure you have a video stabilizer connected to these vcrs. Take your newly recorded tape out and put it in your vcr to record onto dvd, and woola the copy protection is gone and you have a new dvd. I know this is a lot of work and hassle but it's the only way I know but it always worked for me.

12. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Anyone know where gjennette can find a manual for her recorder ?

13. mcsauer

mcsauer Member

Their website has downloadable manuals. www.funai-corp.com

14. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Thanks, mcsauer !!

15. gjennette

gjennette Guest

thanks for all the info

16. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    I did a search on this to late. I just bought this DVD Recorder and I bought a 5 pack of Memorex DVD-RW and a 30 pack of DVD-R and the DVD-R are 8x speed and they will not work. So, I have a 30 pack of blank DVD'S that won't work. The -RW write speed is 1x-2x and they work fine. Will a DVD-R that has up to 4x work? Or , does it have to say DVD-R 1x-2x like the -RW ?

Thanks,
    Budman28

17. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

4x works just fine for me either Ritek or Maxell.

18. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    After finding the right DVD-R's to use, this recorder works fine. You can't edit like the higher priced brands, but for the money it can't be beat. I have used BeAll, Maxell, TDK,and Sony dvd-r's and they all work great. Had 2 sony disc out of ten that would not work. I recommend TDK 2x disc, but all work, just nothing over 4x, but I stay with 1x-2x and 1xto4x disc. If you get a 4x disc make sure it is 1x-2x compatible. Thanks for everyone on here that helped me out with their info.

Budman28

19. mnbvcxz01

mnbvcxz01 Member

I have a problem with the Emerson VCR/DVD Recorder Combo EWR20V4. I am trying to dub from non copyrighted VHS tapes to DVD. The VHS plays fine, and the DVD seems to record..... something, but the DVD doesn't record anything but a black screen. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Also, how do I switch record speed before starting record?

Thanks,
    Tom

20. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi mnbvcxz01,
    I may not be able to help. But, I have just the recorder. My speed control is on the remote. If you have a blank dvd-r in the recorder you should be able to change the speed. Not sure how the combo works. I have a few diffrent line in's and you should have a vcr line in or something like that. Make sure it is on the correct line in. Maybe send a PM to someone who has the combo. Let me know if you get it fixed.

Budman28

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004