1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. timo721

timo721 Member

I got it at Christmas...guess I could return it...I'll see if it keeps up...

2. jaywvu1

jaywvu1 Guest

yes jill i bought it an i am having trouble recording on it, the only dvd's i found that work are nextech dvd's. jay

3. dweb99

dweb99 Member

The only dvd that I have found that I can record on is:

"Bulkpaq 4X DVD-R General Purpose". I only wish I could remember where I got my pack of 50. I'm contacting manufacturer in Scotland to see if I can get more.

Other than the waste of many brands of blank dvd's that have failed to burn, I do like the recorder once I put the Bulkpaq disks in it.

4. Anilyb

Anilyb Member

I got the final word from Funai - the unit is SUPPOSED to record all the way up to 16x. Yeah, right. If not, I'm told to take it in for service/repair. I think I'll just stick to 2x and 4x and screw the repair charges. I hope my Emerson (DVR hard drive unit)does better than this - set up conming soon!

5. GregRod

GregRod Regular member

What is supposed to record up to 16x? The EWR10d4, EWR10d5, EWR20d4...What model?

I do not think there is a dvd recorder on the market that will ever record at 16x. They may make them to accept 16x discs but they will never burn at 16x. Only a dvd burner will burn at 16x.

6. ssinger

ssinger Member

Hello friendly people:

I have a EWR20V4 and we lost the remote. Most of the finalize functionality seems to be with the remote and not on the base unit. So, is the unit basically useless for dubbing and finalizing without a remote? It will be great if you can recommend a way to finalize the DVD without using the remote.

If remote is mandatory, how can we get another remote? Can we use a universal remote? Any experience on which one works OK with this unit?

Thanks very much.

7. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

Hi,

I have a universal remote that I use with the Emerson and I can finalize with it. I am at the office so after I go home I will find out the brand of the remote and get back with you.

Jesse

8. ssinger

ssinger Member

Jesse, thanks. Please let me know the model when you get the chance.

9. motorcycl

motorcycl Member

Has anyone tried the Emerson with the 80 gig hard drive that Walmart is selling? I saw one at a super center in Savannah TN a few weeks ago. The only person there to talk to was a teenage girl. She didn't know anything about them and didn't think they had sold any. There were several on the shelf.
    The writing on the box said it would record form VHS to DVD and from Hard Drive to DVD, but it didn't say any thing about recording from DVD to Hard Drive. This is a very handy option. I probably would have tried one if it said anything about recording from DVD to HD or VHS to HD.

10. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

ssinger,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner... and I still haven't looked at what I have at home but I am pretty sure it is an RCA. It is a universal that will do several different components. It will even do my Directv with Tivo. I payed around 18 bucks for it at Wally world. I will get the actual model number later today for ya.

Jesse

11. ROLL_TIDE

ROLL_TIDE Member

motorcycl..
    I got one and you can record from dvd to dvr, if the dvd isn't copywrite protected....
    had mine about a week and still playing around with it...
    but , it does do a decent job
    also using the wally world cheap imation brand dvd-r,
    it records good...
    glad I waited on getting a vcr-dvd recorder combo, because
    with the dvr added , it fits what I need a lot more...

12. motorcycl

motorcycl Member

Hi ROLL_TIDE,
    Thanks for responding. Apparently you are the only person out there to try one of these. Will it do a quick copy from DVD to Hard Drive, or is it in real time?
    Be sure to keep us posted on what kind of results you are having with it.

Thanks again….motorcycl

13. ssinger

ssinger Member

Jesse, I bought an RCA 4 unit universal remote, RCR412S. I found a code that turns the Emerson DVD Recorder/VCR on and off and change channels but not the Menu. I need that to work to finalize the DVD right? Could you please let me know what code you used? ( even if the RCA remote you have is a different model ). Thanks Jesse.

14. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

ssinger,

I am out of town but I will as soon as I get back (Wed.). Mine does more units so that may be the difference. It has a setup button on it that worked right off.

Jesse

15. Tekkie

Tekkie Member

Walmart has the EWH100F for $328.00. They guarentee by exchange or refund for 90 days. That will give you plenty of time to buy and try.
    I also have a EWR10D5 recorder in the bedroom hooked to a second satellite reciever. I use mostly maxell 2x and 4x dvd rw's. As someone in an earlier post hadn't figured out yet, you can't record to a -R disk and edit and you don't have to finalize a DVD-R disk either. I have just bought the EWH100F DVR w/80gig hd. I haven't hooked it up yet. I'am in the process of reading the manual. All 135 english pages. Explanations and pics are the best I have seen to date. It has live pause up to 6 hrs. Has programable commercial skip up to 5 mins and a very nicely layed out remote. Not like the ugly remote they had before with the buttons being small. The one thing that I don't like is the size of the unit. It has a honkin big fan on the outside of the case which extends the depth of the unit to 15". Won't fit into my corner unit which supports my Panny 42" plasma tv. It will take some major reworking on the cabinet to fit this thing. If anyones interested I will post info on what I think about the unit after I have had a chance to play with it.

16. ssinger

ssinger Member

Jesse: Did you find out the model of the remote... Also, when you do, please look up the code for your emerson EWR20V4 and post it even if your remote is different the model I bought...Thanks..

17. sjohnson1

sjohnson1 Member

Hi everyone,

I actually have the new emerson model #ewr100f 80gb from walmart. The one I found to work on this machine is the dvd-r up to 16x by Maxell. Actually office depot has a 25pk dvd-r up to 16x by Maxell on sale for 6.99. Just fyi, you must purchase the dvd-r and not dvd+r. The positive r will not work. You will get a cannot dubbing error.

18. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

ssinger,

Sorry I haven't been more helpful. The remote I have simply says RCA Universal Learning on it and will control 8 different things. I don't see a model number. It was a rather expensive remote (about 18.00-20.00 at W/M). I can't find the paperwork that came with it for the code. I will look some more for it this evening.

Jesse

19. ssinger

ssinger Member

Thanks Jesse. If you find any more info please share but don't sweat it. With the information you provided, I should be able to look that up at W/M. I have also contacted Funai/Emerson and they said they will consider sending me the original remote ( they did not quite promise they will do that so keeping my fingers crossed ).

20. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

Well... I found the book but no codes. I think I had my hands on it the other day and didn't know it. It was just codes with no other id. I tell you I can't be more pleased with the remote I bought. The learning feature is nice. I was able to transfer all the different features of the Emerson to it. Even then the set up feature you need worked without doing that. I have everything in my entertainment center on one remote ... TV, VCR/DVD, DVD recorder, VCR, Stereo, SatTV/Tivo.

When I go home I will get the code for you.

Jesse