1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Funaisup1

Funaisup1 Guest

tanooki I work for funai and get calls all day from people like you
    THE WRONG FIRMWARE WILL FRY YOUR UNIT and it is only good if you have a 2004 model if you do the cm skip 123 and pull up the factory settings page and dont see FE: NRS or FE: R10
    you will in fact fry r DOWNGRADE your unit + these upgades are only good for up to 8x disc no higher

2. Biometric

Biometric Member

Ok, I've got the EWR10D4 which has been used perhaps 10 hrs total since purchased 2 years ago. It was my Dad's and he never used it since they got a DVR right after this unit. ANYHOW, I upgraded the firmware.

My question: Should I now be able to use 4X DVD-RW discs?? Because it still will not load one (only tried the Office Depot brand). I get a DISK ERROR, playback mode may not be available (or something to that effect) and my only option is to eject the disc.

(note: The unit works great with 2X -RW before/after upgrade.)

This error is the same thing that it did before upgrade and the same thing it did when I tried a 16X -R disc. I didn't know about a maximum speed at that time.

Tech Support Guy (Funai/Emerson) says "Oh, well there is something wrong with your lens then, because is should use 4X -RW"

Since write once and rewritables are different animals, I thought perhaps the upgrade only applies to write once disc speed compatiblity.

Your help is appreciated. (I am amazed that this thread is so huge and still being posted to after all this time)

3. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

It was my understanding that the upgrade would not effect the R-W discs. I still use the x2 ones (but that is because I keep reusing the ones I have had all this time).

Jesse

4. peeaytee

peeaytee Member

I hope someone can help me. I have a refurbished Symphonic clone of the Emerson combo unit and after six months am still trying to figure out the best connection set up - still have some functions on the remote that don't seem to work (DVD record speed for one). Could connection be the problem? My TV has the picture-in-a-picture feature, so have a signal splitter involved, as well as the digital cable box, to hook the VCR/DVD recorder to. Can anyone here suggest a connection of all this that should work? Thanks!

5. Jmark

Jmark Regular member

FYI to this group regarding free upgrade for Emerson DVD recorder--I got this from the manufacturer from Funai:

Thank you for your inquiry,

Please be aware that a free software upgrade is now available to customers. This upgrade will enable your unit to recognize the (DVD-R 8x) discs. To obtain a copy, we will need to know which version to send you.

In order to receive the upgrade we need to know what firmware version your unit requires. First you need to access the DVD recorders service mode. Turn on the DVD Recorder and the Television, make sure the unit is on the DVD side. You may access the service mode by pressing the CMSKIP button on the remote control. Once you press CMSKIP you must press the numbers 1,2,3. You must do this quickly so it may take a couple tries. The model name will appear on the screen followed by Firmware Version. I need to know the serial number next to FE:

Press the RETURN button to exit screen.

Do not forget to email your information. Your name, phone number and address.

John Lee
    Customer Support
    Email Department

Funai Corporation
    19900 Van Ness Avenue
    Torrance, CA 90501
    1-800-242-7158 Customer Support

6. TheDJisin

TheDJisin Member

I was hoping someone out there can answer this. I always use my Emerson DVD Recorder as a TV tuner because of the way my setup is.With this new Digital TV thing they are starting next year, I wasn't sure if the recorder is capable of handling the digital signal or if I'll have to get one of those converter boxes in order to still watch/record TV. Anyone have the answer?

7. bsr2002

bsr2002 Member

You will need a converter box. I already have one :)

8. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

Howdy,

Concerning the digital tv thing... what if you have Directv?

Jesse

9. TheDJisin

TheDJisin Member

Thanks for the help..... Wish it wasn't needed. This goes regardless of what type of TV you have, right? Even if I'm usin Comcast?

10. GregRod

GregRod Regular member

If you have Direct Tv..you can plug the recorder right into the box.

Look behind the Direct TV box. There are output jacks. Next plug the cord coming from the output on the box into L1 or L2 on the recorder.

You will not be able to program different channels through the recorder. You must set the DTV box to the channel and then set the recorder to record L1 or L2. Remember "Leave the DTV box ON!!"

I use mine all the time this way and it works fine.

11. lost316

lost316 Member

12. lost316

lost316 Member

Could you Tell Me Where I Could Get The Firmware?? I Am Having Problems With Errors Around 60% While finalizing too.
    Thank You
    Email to songman316@hotmail.com
    Thanks Again

13. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

Call Emerson and they will send you the disc. It's very easy to do.

Jesse

14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I have a Magnavox ZC352MW8 DVD recorder made by Funai which records + or -R on the +VR mode and have had zero problems with it since it was bought at Walmart around 6 months ago. Anything I burn it in plays back fine although 16x Verbatim & some 16x Ritek F-1 (one batch but not another one I have) doesn't test good with DVD Infopro after being recorded on it.

Good luck finding 4x media. Meritline has some full size 4x Ritek silver shiny left but I don't know how long that will last. I was burning 4x Verbatim white inkjet printable until I couldn't find any more. Tayio Yuden & Verbatim 8x media (the Ritek 8x I suppose) works great with it. Look on Meritline or Supermediastore. Avoid Playo as it's junk media that will go bad on you after awhile. Some 16x media (as I've tested it) seems to work well such as Sony & Tayio Yuden. Others might too however I haven't tried them yet.

15. bratcher

bratcher Active member

So maybe I should leave my Magnavox alone since it records very well with 16x TY media as well as 8x Verb & TY media plus Sony 16x too? Tried some 16x Verb & it plays ok in the unit but tested awful with DVD Infopro after being burned at 1x.

16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

This company still has 4x media available (avoid Princo) but boy is it expensive!! I'll stick with 8x Verbatim & Tayio Tuden as well as 16x TY from Meritline....

17. bratcher

bratcher Active member

That plus CM skip 654 (firmware upgrade) works for my Magavox DVD recorder too!!

18. drifter67

drifter67 Member

I still have this Emerson recorder, since i cant find 4x or 8 media anymore in stores, except Imation DVD's which do not work in mine i only buy Maxell DVD-RW which i might add is only 2x speed no faster,funny thing is my older disks i recorded video on seem to be a bit better quality wise in the 4 hour mode then when i record now with a direct tv in the same 4 hour mode with S-cable as a video input,so now i record in 2 hour mode.

19. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I record almost everything from my cable DVR in 2 hour mode. A few in 2.5 hour plus one ot two in 3 hour mode. The longer the recording the lower the quality gets in my Magnavox recorder. 4 hours looks awful & 6 hour is terrible.

20. drifter67

drifter67 Member

the thing is, my emerson, doesnt record in 3 hour mode ( my fathers does though its like the magnavox but its not a name brand) it records in 1 hour 2 hour 4 hour 6 hour and i think 10 hour which is horrible but 4 hour isnt to bad atleast it wasnt before, but i recored from the DV-R also and then play through a dvd player with progresive scan hook up or s-connector, i dont record below 4 hours its pretty crappy,