1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. lycanangl

lycanangl Member

Does anyone have the firmware upgrade? Funai now charges for this upgrade. My firmware code is
    FE: NRS0115 MST040326

2. hnybny123

hnybny123 Member

I have used this and many other Emerson products and I can answer most of your questions about the Emerson EWR10D4 DVD Recorder. This is a recorder that came out a few years ago when you had to be very specific about what speed of DVD-R or DVD-RW disc that you used. It only uses the 1X to 2X DVD-RW and can use 1X, 2X or 4X DVD-R discs. No Faster! My machine plays the 4X beautifully, but I did not get the firmware upgrade. It was a mistake for those of you who did a firmware upgrade to the 8X because it is no easier to find those discs in bulk than the 1X, 2X, or 4X discs. Those who upgraded the firmware can only use the specifically 8X discs now. The new 1-16X Discs in any brand (and I have tried many) are not compatible for either original factory disc compatibility on the recorder or the 8X firmware upgrade. GOOD NEWS-BAD NEWS...BAD NEWS FIRST...As of Nov. 29, 2008 the company didn't have a firmware upgrade of 16X available and apparently has no plans at ths time! GOOD NEWS....You can purchase the 4X and the 8X DVD-R Discs in bulk at reasonable prices with free shipping at www.shop4tech.com With every purchase over $40 they throw in a free fift (also with free shipping). My gift was a Universal Digital Camera Compact Starter Kit by Targus which sold on their site for $19.99. My Emerson EWR10D4 DVD Recorder has an excellent picture and sound on the recorded DVD's (I have a 47 inch HDTV so I should know) and the ease of use makes me want to keep this one as long as I can because there isnt much difference between this DVD recorder and the newer ones on the market except that they play the 16X discs, usually in both the plus and minus formats. Unless you have lots of money to burn, and let's face it, most of us don't, your best bet is just to purchase your media in bulk from shop4tech.com and give your head a rest from the stress. I hope this has been helpful to all who read this, and don't give up on Emerson products, most of the earlier model DVD Recorders are having the same problem, including the Pioneer! Word to the wise....read the specs on the disc type and speed compatibility on the recorders before you buy as there are still some older models being sold, and just because you buy it today, doesn't mean you might not have the same problems as with the one you bought a few years ago.

3. hnybny123

hnybny123 Member

I got the Princo 4X DVD-R Discs for 29 cents each in a 300 pack (you can buy less if you like for only 30 cents each) and all of their product are with free shipping and a free gift with every purchase over $40 at www.shop4tech.com

4. hnybny123

hnybny123 Member

By The way, There is nothing wrong with Princo DVD's. As for picture quality on the Emerson Recorded DVD's.....you loose resolution every time you route though an additional piece of hardware. Either play the DVD on the Recorder and do a direct hook up to your tv, or play in whatever dvd player you like, but make the hookup direct from the source to your TV. If the Recorded DVD will not play in another DVD player after the disc has been finalized, then the player is a plus format player and not a minus format player. You will hve to play the DVD then in the Recorder. I have solved this problem by making sure that all of my DVD players and my 2 laptop computers are in the DVD-R / DVD-RW format, then everything is interchangeable.

5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Try Meritline for Tayio Yuden, Ritek, Prodisc plus 4x +R generic white inkjet printable. Stay away from 8x Ritek. The 16x is fine for both Prodisc & Tayio Yuden as well as the 8x. The 8x Playo does ok in my Magnavox DVD recorder bit it doesn't record the Playo 16x very well nor the 8x + or - R generic.

www.meritline.com.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  6. bratcher

bratcher Active member

My year old Magnavox records some 16x media well but not all of them. However it will play any 16x media recorded on it back without any problems. I'm using the 4x media I found at Meritline in it for now while it lasts then I'll go back to 8x media. Oh & it still has it's original firmware.

7. RWC

RWC Newbie

I found the emerson ewr20v5 for 20 bucks at my local goodwill. Is there a way to copy vhs to dvds without the remote? I tried and failed. I then called a service rep and he told me that the player was unable to rec without the remote ( he didnt really seem to know for sure himself and was going off the manual).

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me out. I'd like to buy it quick if there is a way to copy vhs to dvd without the remote

8. attar

attar Senior member

Ask them if they know what it's code would be using a universal remote.