1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. prek564

prek564 Member

I just got a message, power calibration area is full so my DVD Recorder will not record, what is that and how do I put more space on it?

2. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    You will have to contact Emerson and see what they say. I have never heard of that. Let me know what they say, Very strange.

Budman28

3. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    You will have to contact Emerson and see what they say. I have never heard of that. Let me know what they say, Very strange.

Budman28

4. javykorg

javykorg Guest

I have this recorder EWR10D4. Emerson customer support says that a firmware upgrade for this model is already being developed, but they don't know when this firmware will be available.

5. prek564

prek564 Member

I contacted Emerson, they told me to unplug the unit for 30 minutes, to reset it. I did for over 30. But it still did not work. I got another new unit at Wal-mart and it worked fine. I guess I just flat out wore my other unit. Thanks for the support.
    PreK

6. MagiPink

MagiPink Member

I was wondering if anyone has this problem.

I recorded some old videos tapes I had with this recorder. I then put the DVD into my computer to rip it and clean it up some. But when I load it into my pc and play it back, the quality is far worse than what it shows playing back on a television screen.

Would there be any cause for this or perhaps a solution?

7. rickmills

rickmills Guest

Hi. Thanks to all for the helpful comments. I
    have a Emerson VCR/DVD Recorder
    Combo EWR20V4. I have been very pleased
    with it.

I can confirm that all the 4x I have tried work
    fine (Memorex, Staples, and Target e-Gear)
    and the 8x definitely do NOT work (Tried
    Staples and TDK).

So I guess this recorder is fussy about what
    DVDs work in it. Other than that, the unit has
    been fine.

The unit also does a very nice job of playing
    CDs with mp3 content.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  8. Dian

Dian Member

I have just bought the Emerson EWR20V4 to record my family tapes to. It records fine, but will not play back in any other DVD player. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? It plays back fine in the Emerson recorder.

9. mnbvcxz01

mnbvcxz01 Member

<I have just bought the Emerson EWR20V4 to record my family tapes to. It records fine, but will not play back in any other DVD player. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? It plays back fine in the Emerson recorder.>

You need to finalize the disks before they will play elsewhere.

10. rickmills

rickmills Guest

You need to finalize the DVD before you can play it in any other machine. Instructions are on p. 41 of the manual. If you do not have the manual, just do this:
    1. Insert DVD, let it load.
    2. Press DVD on remote.
    3. Press SETUP on remote. 2 icons should appear on your TV screen.
    4. Select the DISC icon (by pressing right arrow, then enter on remote) The DISC menu will appear.
    5. Select FINALIZE (use down arrow, then enter on remote).
    6. Let it finalize. Progress bar will appear on screen.

11. thaipppr

thaipppr Member

Emerson / funai-corp has a upgrade that you can use to make it possible to burn 8x disks. You will have to call their customer support and they can send you a disk to do this upgrade with their assistance. IT takes about 10 days to get the disk. THe Funai people stated that the owners manuals didn't specify that only 4x disks can be used, and that is why you may have problems using 8x. I love my machine and for the price I can't say anything bad. I can edit the commercials out as I watch the programs, or tape the programs to vhs and then do my editing. I used to use my computer to do my movie making , but that took FOREVER, this is the answer to my prayers.

12. elbertf2

elbertf2 Member

I also have an Emerson EWR20V4 and have been having the same problems with buying 8X dvds. I did have some TDK 4x discs and they worked good. I just found out about the firmware upgrade and called tech support about it. I was told to turn on my t.v. and recorder, and click the "CM Skip" button, then 1-2-3 quickly, and there should appear a letter/number sequence on the screen:
    FE _ _ _ _ _ _ . I was supposed to jot this number down and call tech support back with it, and based on this number, he would send me a disc with the correct firmware upgrade on it, for MY recorder.
    Well, try as I might, I could not get any number to appear on the t.v. I called tech support back, and with the techie coaching me, still no number. His suggestion was to take my recorder to an authorized service shop about 40 miles from here and have them check it out. I would probably have to leave it and make a second trip, etc. My machine is 4 months old, so beyond the Free Labor warranty. :- (
    Has anyone here had any similar experience? I would like the upgrade if it will let me use 8X discs.

13. bill02840

bill02840 Guest

just got off the phone with them
    I was told to click the "CM Skip" button, then 1-2-3 VERY quickly, and there should appear a Box/window.
    In the box they need the first 3 letters after
    FE _ _ _ _ _ _ .
    You'll also need the serial number from the bottom of your unit.

take the numbers down and call tech support back with it, they'll send a disc with the new upgrade on it.

Then when you get the disk call tech to get a walk through.

14. elbertf2

elbertf2 Member

Sooo, tell us - - - did it work for you? I bought my unit in December, so it's beyond the 90 day warranty for labor. I called three of the authorized repair shops, and one said they would charge $25 to look at it, one said $75, and the third said "It is a piece of junk; buy a Sony or Panasonic." None of them could say they were familiar with my problem, or that they knew if they could fix it. My unit seems to work OK in dubbing, recording and playback, though it is fussy about what brands I use. It seems to like TDK 4X. Has anyone out there used the upgrade and does it work?

15. bill02840

bill02840 Guest

I will let you know what happens when the disk arrives.
    I actually have 2 of the EWR20V4 recorders
    both will use the same disk
    I'll try one and report, then do the other.

16. MagiPink

MagiPink Member

I was wondering if anyone has this problem.

I recorded some old videos tapes I had with this recorder. I then put the DVD into my computer to rip it and clean it up some. But when I load it into my pc and play it back, the quality is far worse than what it shows playing back on a television screen.

Would there be any cause for this or perhaps a solution?

17. elbertf2

elbertf2 Member

Thanks. We will be looking forward to hearing from you about the upgrade.

18. garyclay

garyclay Guest

I use Ridata 4xDVD-R from www.newegg.com 100 disc for $38.00. I have used about 40 without any problem.

19. rickmills

rickmills Guest

Perhaps if someone gets the firmware upgrade successfully installed - you could post the instructions here and save us all the phone fun with Tech Support. In the meantime I am going to stock up on 4x DVDs at Target in case I am stuck with that speed forever. The Target blue "e-Gear" DVDs work fine.

20. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    I will wait to see how the upgrade works. I used TDK 2x DVD-R's for a long time, but they quit making them. I bought a 25 pack of TDK 4x DVD-R's and when I put it in the recorder it says; Error: Playback may not work on this disc. It say's 4x and not 1x to 4x compatible, So does this mean it only records at 4x for this disc and that is why they won't work?

Budman28