1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here actually do there own Magic 3 MOD?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by freakyg, Dec 20, 2002.

1. freakyg

freakyg Member

My friend and I destroyed his PS2 today trying to install the Magic 3 with the chip clip. We suck! Now we are on a mission to accomplish this mod. We purchased another chip and a PS2 and are trying again on Monday.

We definately need some real advice from people who did their own mods. Any good sites with quality instruction.

Thanks._X_X_X_X_X_[small].[/small]

2. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Hi, I specialize in modchip sales and installations. As for sites with quality instructions, there's no such thing. There are no soldering tutorials for PS2s and the like, the only thing you will find is diagrams. The BEST advice I can give you is - GIVE UP. For the price of a clip chip and a little more you can buy a non-clip Magic 3 chip and have it installed by a pro and get a warranty on all parts and labor. Send me a Private Message if you'd like to take advantage of my services.

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

I've done 2 one for myself and one for my son. What did you mess up on? If you can be more specific I will try to help you?

It's all technique and tools.

Biggest help I found is to use a small pencil type soldering Iron. I used an 12W pencil cost about $30.00. I started with a 15W from Radio shack. Just a regular Iron with a low watt element. Doesn't tranfer heat well because the mass is too large for a 15W element. Difficult to use when you try to solder directly to the pins on the chip.

4. freakyg

freakyg Member

Thank you for the 12w tip. What we screwed up on is simple. I realize after going through these boards that we should have used flux, a better iron, and better diagrams.

Our main issue was soldering the BGA board. The solder points are very close and we probably have the wrong tools. Our next huge mistake was having the wrong diagrams.

So far, my friend wants to try it again. We call it a learning experience. We may end up needed a pro, but, we'll give it one more shot.

jr_ ... do you have a model number on the pencil?

thanks for the help

5. jr_

jr_ Guest

Weller WM120 $34.10 is what I paid.

6. freakyg

freakyg Member

Finally did it. Got a new PS2 and a Magic 3.5 chip.. Walllaaa, success!

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!!

7. egqps

egqps Member

hey jr, can you tell me where to find one of those?

8. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Check the Internet on Weller WM120 and there will be tons of information coming at you.
    Also where to buy them and at what prices...

Good luck on the screwdriving thing..