1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone install a Magic V yet?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by brad1102, Sep 5, 2003.

1. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I'm still wondering how the V is for functionality, so if you have installed one - let me know what you think of it.

All feedback will be welcomed except for feedback from peeps that don't have a V and people just wanting to waste my time with opinions that don't mean crap anyway (like from Robert34<that's right robby-click back and fill in the next poster in with your BS>)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers!

2. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

anyone?

3. psx245

psx245 Regular member

go and check out ps2newz.net they have all the test result.

4. Halo_Rye

Halo_Rye Member

I just got one the other day, I installed it into my PS2 V5/V6 and have had no success with it. I get the system to boot up like it normaly would but it wont read backups or PS1 or PS2 and when I put in originals it just goes to a black screen, and the disc still spins. But when I hold the reset to turn the mod off all original discs run fine????

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I would have to say its your install.

6. Halo_Rye

Halo_Rye Member

I dunno man Ive reinstalled it 5 times now always the same problem. PS2 works fine with the chip removed and with the chip powered down. Ive even tried diffrent possitions nada no change...

7. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

where are you located? US? I'd like to help you out if I can.

8. Halo_Rye

Halo_Rye Member

Im in the U.S. yes, I've given up on the chip with the money I spent/time I should have bought a premod system. My wonder is I had sent my Ps2 in for repairs to Sony to fix my DRE problem and when I got it back they had updated my DVD drivers and I wonder if anything else was changed that might cause a bios conflict...oh well any help or tips would be helpful im sick of looking of guides that always say the samethings.

9. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Did you ever get that V going?

10. zedzed

zedzed Guest

I had a Magic V 50k installed (by a pro) into a 50001 series PS2 and everything worked fine. Could play all backups on CDR and DVDR. It worked great until ....

... we decided we wanted to watch a DVD movie and we put the chip into sleep mode and now we can't get it out of sleep mode to play backups. Backups are no longer recognized. We get the red/orange screen that says to put in a PS2 formatted disc

See the thread where I commented on this issue

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65080

Still no luck

Zed

11. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I've been thinking about this on and off for a while now - and I'm ready to help.

Firstly - where did you get this chip from, and who installed it?

Secondly, (very simply) tell me how you boot backups - are you trying to boot games that have previously worked - are you trying more than one?

12. zedzed

zedzed Guest

I bought the chip from goCyberShop.ca - it looks like a genuine chip.
    I had the chip installed by a guy who has done many boxes and has received good reviews from others.

The box worked perfectly for about 3 weeks with many games both CDR and DVDR based.

Recently we set the chip to sleep mode to watch DVDs and now we can't get it out of sleep mode.

We have put games (which worked previously) into the tray and put the PS2 into standby mode then turn it on with a tap of the reset button and nothing. We turned off the main switch in the back for 20 to 30 seconds then turned on and nothing. Back to standby mode and then turn on with reset button and nothing

On Sunday will try what you mentioned in your post
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/60668

Will let you know what happened

Zed

13. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

bleh.... i installed 2 of those.... on v6 and v8 quite a work... 3 hours per chip(no kidding).... they work.. apart from the one who was on v6... had to replace the chip to make it work again... seems like under some circumstances... the chip becomes broken like with that never wake up thing with this guy right here... im not the one to complain but im happy i dont have that chip...

14. teg9

teg9 Member

got one on my 50001 ps2 and it boots copied games or movies like a normal ps2 does. Passed DNAS auth. with orig. game disc while on sleep mode. No problems so far.

15. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

[bold]zedzed[/bold]<---I wanted to tell - this sound like maybe a timing problem - if you can tear down the machine - maybe check it out.

What I had to do on my v9 is lay down eletric tape below the routing of the 'R' timing wire and then overtop of it (and a little peice between the Q and R connection - on both end)

This could be a lack of sheilding that is causing you this grief - at least I hope so.

While you are in their, maybe check out your B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I connections, and also the grounding between the board and the bottom metal casing of the board for continuity.

Best of luck!

16. jsevold

jsevold Member

I have a magic V chip installed on my V7 ps2, it boots backups sometimes and other times it doesnt try (that means no going to the browser screen before loading the game, just black screen).

Do you think that it could be a timing problem maybe?

I also have it installed with the clip kit, and the bios connections are a bit shady. I have a large peice of foam ontop of this peice of the clip kit so that all of the connections are made. Maybe this might be the source of the problem too, not sure.

BTW my magic goes in and out of sleep mode perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  17. YoshMaste

YoshMaste Member

Hi!

I know this might sounds like a newbie question....but I am:p

I have bought a Magic V and I'm trying to install it myself...

What does the copper wired is for???

Is it for the ground?

Or should I simply use normal wires for all my connections?

Also... is it ok if I try to put the wires on the botom side? it seems easier to solder them there but I'm not sure if it's ok ?

Thank you!

18. Ncognito

Ncognito Member

The Magic V is a tedious chip to install with 23 solder points, but alas it is a decent chip with no problems as of yet. It can take a long time to install to do it right and I would suggest routing the R wire from the back of the board. Just use a multimeter or continuity tester to test for continuity between the points for the R wire. It is quite tedious but with the right tools and some time you can get it right the first time and not have to take it apart a bunch of times. <<< I know that from experience. lmao

Yoshmate - If you are talking about the braided copper wire that comes with the chip that is like 1/4 inch wide and flat, it is desolder wick. You use it to suck back up solder if you get too much on your point.