1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know of a DVD player that plays internet formats?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by peakle, Oct 2, 2009.

1. peakle

peakle Member

I would like to burn files (Win XP) of type .mov, .wmv, .mp4 and .mpg to DVD and then play them from a component DVD player, but can't find a component DVD Player advertised as supporting all these file types. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

my dvd player plays avi,divx,.i think it plays wmv and mp4 im not 100% on that.mine is a phillips dvp 3252

3. peakle

peakle Member

I have a Philips dvp-642 and it will play .mpg (as well as divx, .mp3 and some other types), but it will not play .mov, .wmv, or .mp4. I believe these types it won't play are recognized by QuickTime and Windows Media Player.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Buy a cheap, old XBOX on ebay, take 15-20 minutes to install XBMC on it and it will play about everything, mov, mp4, divx, rmvb....

5. abbuy

abbuy Guest

really? I'll give a try to install XBMC on my Xbox.

6. shaomiao

shaomiao Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
  7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I think you might have lost thread friend, your answer is a bit displaced in this thread...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  8. barns744

barns744 Member

to play wmv convert with program like ultra video joiner. is also good for videos that come out jerky or to scale up or down video quality. will convert mkv with mkv codec installed on computer. select 'all files'under 'supported formats'. it will not show mkv but will convert them if codec is installed.

9. JVC

JVC Active member

You need software that converts those formats to the dvd format.
    My stepfather had the same problem. He found software online that had a free trial period. He tried it, it worked, so he bought it. I don't know the name of it. These forums have a page of software to download and use/try. See if something is on their page.
    Good luck!

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Downloading and converting to DVD is a waste of time, IMO.
    By the time you buy the discs, spend the time to convert, get a coaster here and there, and lose quality on top of it,you're better off buying a versatile media player:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/19893.cfm

That and a little USB stick is all you need.

11. barns744

barns744 Member

to play most internet formats i have found the newest model of the phillips players to be the best and can be updated by way of the phillips support site. we have a dvp3982, actually a few. the new samsung will play avi but is terrible on subtitles. the cheap toshiba doesn't have a long life and the more expensive toshiba(some) don't always recognize different types of dvds.(+-). maybe this helped