1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know what these error messages mean?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nlm1976, Feb 27, 2007.

1. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I am using the new Shrink with ImgBurn. I just did a backup of a tv series disc and got a strange message. It said...

DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME)Failed!-Reason: Access is denied
    DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_DISMOUNT_VOLUME)Failed!-Reason: Access is denied

I didn't know what this meant so I just hit the "continue" button and it burned as normal and I got a perfect copy. Anyone know what this means? Often I'll put in a DVD to backup overnight and I won't be awake to hit the "continue" button so want to fix whatever might be the problem so that I won't have to worry about it. It happened after it was done encoding before it started burning.
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Those error messages mean that your burning program is looking for exclusive access to your drives and can't obtain it...another program is tied in to your drive. Hitting continue and going on with the burn is fine, but a restart will usually clear the message. You might also go through your task manager and see if any programs are running which might be trying to share access to your drives.

3. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

Could the AnyDVD program be causing it? I'm on a 30 day trial and will probably buy the program after the trial period. I really like it. It's the only program I can think of that might be causing a conflict.

4. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Anydvd wouldn't cause the problem, restart your PC as suggested by LOCOENG and you should be ok.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Are there any virtual drives that haven't been dismounted and is there any batch writing software on the PC (something similar to Roxio's Drag to Disk or Nero's InCD? Though not your problem, AnyDVD has been acting up with DVD Shrink on some titles. I don't see paying the price of AnyDVD when RipIt4Me is free. AnyDVD is a bit faster, but is it worth the price when freeware does as well and in some instances better?

6. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "any virtual drives that haven't been dismounted and is there any batch writing software on the PC (something similar to Roxio's Drag to Disk or Nero's InCD?" I have no idea. But in response to purchasing AnyDVD, normally I don't buy software but AnyDVD seems reasonably priced and I seem to have constant trouble with Ripit4me. Maybe I'm not doing something right, I don't know but it's always acting up and I'm constantly having trouble with it. So I see buying AnyDVD as a positive thing since it'll hopefully eliminate some headaches that I've been dealing with when I use Ri4m.

7. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I have restarted but haven't needed to do a backup so don't know if it's working yet. Will check back if I'm still having trouble. Thanks.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Strange, I don't see what could go wrong with RipIt4Me. Well, some people have had path problems and skipping needed steps with the wizard. I installed it and use it for all my decryption needs now. I have AnyDVD, but it hasn't been doing so well and I've needed to use FixVTS with it on a few occasions. It's simple and easy though when all it going right and the program is up to date. RipIt4Me incorporates FixVTS and runs it automatically. I find it hard to see how you went wrong if you used the 1-click mode. What kind of problems were you having? I have Ripit4Me, AnyDVD, and DVDFab Decrypter and that's about the order in which I consider their abilities for now.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  9. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I often have to use the FixVTS even after Ri4m is finished and often time it doesn't work. I haven't used it in a long time b/c of all the headaches it was giving me.
    I did another burn today using Shrink and ImgBurn and I got the same error message and had to push "contine" I'm not sure what's interfearing with it. I had restarted my computer too so whatever it is, it's running from start up.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

FixVTS is a part of RipIt4Me. Had you used the 1-click mode, you wouldn't have needed to use it a second time. Once is enough. That leads me to believe you should have read the manual on the software. It may not have been available earlier on. I've only paid attention to the guide on the RI4M site over the past month or so since people started asking so much about it. http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html
    With the latest version of RipIt4me the software uses the FixVTS code, but doesn't have the separate FixVTS program in the program folder. If there was a problem with the program, it sure hasn't shown in the latest versions. It's the best ripper decryption program currently available and rivals the retail programs as the best overall.

11. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

That's pretty presumptuous of you...yes, I have read the manual, and yes I have done everything through the 1-click mode (although I've tried both ways) and still the FixVTS did not work...I tried doing it again with no success. It took me well over a week just to get the FixVTS to update...I had to uninstall all the components and then reinstall, it wouldn't just update my exisisting application. I was finally able to figure that out by asking in one of their forums. I may not understand how everything works but I do know how to follow directions.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Yes, it was presumptuous of me. However the vast majority of people who use RipIt4Me have no problems installing it or using it. Plus it's been performing as well or better than both Slysoft and DVDIdle recently. That leaves us wondering what happened to you or your PC.

13. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I have no idea but my system has been running slowly lately too so it makes me wonder if there's maybe some kind of bug or something...or maybe it just needs a "tune up." If the greedy pigs who are so worried about losing a couple bucks to piraters wouldn't put all this encryption onto the discs I wouldn't have to worry about it. It annoys me to no end that I am put through a big hassle just to back up my own stuff.
    Anyway, this is way off track....so thanks for trying to help me. I still don't know what's blocking it but until I figure it out, I'll just have to push the continue button to get it to burn. Fortunately, the burning part doesn't take too long so it doesn't tie me up a really long time...it's the analyzing and encoding that takes forever and it can at least still do that much while I'm sleeping. What's wierd is the very first time I used it...was last week...I didn't get any error messages. It went right on through and started burning immediately. I'm pretty sure I haven't installed anything since then either.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Did you try using Restore?

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You may want to download and use the CloneDVD 2 trial to see if there is a conflict with Shrink. Do the backup using AnyDVD and CloneDVD 2 and don't open DVD Shrink. If you still get an error, you may have developed a driver problem. Let us know how that turns out.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007