1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone on this site running an amd 64?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ppiper, Nov 9, 2004.

1. ppiper

ppiper Member

gonna build off socket 939 amd64 3500 anyone got any good experience with any good motherboards all opinions will help me

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Me. Running the A8V Deluxe. Also played with the AV8 for a bit. If you want OCing, wait for the nF4U boards to hit the streets :) If you cant wait, u can get some nice OCs on the A8V and AV8 (2.2 --> 2.65 --> 2.91 ... im having some trouble past 2.87 but i think replacing my memory might fix that)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  3. ppiper

ppiper Member

i was looking at the neo 2 plat and the asus revision board do u know if the inforce4 boards with pci express r gonna have agp slots i just bought a all-in-wonder 9600xt and i want to use it on my new system thanks for the input bro i cant get anything out of the nforce sites thanks praetor

4. ppiper

ppiper Member

do u know of any of the new 64 boards with pci express that will have agp options for a agp graffix card?

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i dont' think a decent (or, for that matter, real) board will ever be created with both agp and pci express capabilities. i'm preparing myself for a 64-bit build and have been searching for such a thing. as i have the 9600XT A-I-W and don't feel like letting a goodie like that go to waste, i'll settle for an agp-only board for a few more years.

6. ppiper

ppiper Member

lol this thread came back from the dead. thanks for replying, i went with an amd 64 3500 socket 939,neo 2 platinum and am using my aiw 9600xt and it works good. games play awesome and if i overclock it to 2.5ghtz it games like and amd and encodes/decodes like intel. i agree i dont think there will be an agp/pci express board woth buying and i just got the neo 2 with my aiw and its all good. go 64 and u wont be unhappy but if u overclock and u get a winchester be aware that some of them will not oc too well some of the memory controllers just arent able to keep up but the new amd chips coming out right around the corner should be AWESOME. i bought my winchester in december-jan and it tops out at 2.6 unstable and 2.5 stable. i think if i would have went with a newcastle i would have been at 2.6 rock solid. the venice and sandiego cores r up next to bat and there supposed to be very good.

7. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Seeing as the thread has been resuscitated, figured I'd throw in my 2c. Put together a system about a year ago now with the 64bit, built it on a Shuttle SN85G4 barebones (looks goregeous, and makes transporting to LANs a piece of cake with the LCD I got to go with it) and threw an ATI 9800XT in there (!). Boy does that sucka go, its a true pocket rocket... Little did I know that ATI wasn't planning on releasing any 64bit drivers for a long time... So no chance of running anything decent on the Windows64 beta when I got it, and was an even longer wait till they released drivers for Linux... (grumble, its a nice card, but their customer service re driver release makes me doubt I'd ever get another ATI...) I don't really see the point in overclocking these days though, the small percentage gains and stability issues don't really make sense to me... You've still got an essentially obsolete piece of technology in about the same timeframe...

8. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I am running one, see my sig for my PCs Spects.

9. ppiper

ppiper Member

nice 2 see all these 64s heres mine:

AMD 64 3500 winchester
    K8N neo2 platinum
    Gskill LE pc4400 2x512
    xp-90
    1 tornado, 5 blue led fans
    SONY DVD burner dru710a dual layer
    AOPEN cdrw/dvdrom
    SONY floppy [for pops]
    AIW 9600xt
    160gb seagate sata
    80gb seagate ide
    ANTEC 1000AMG server case
    PC POWER & COOLING psu 510 deluxe

upgraded from a 1.2ghtz t-bird in jan. and both still running strong ive had my t bird for years so i guess there goes the theory of amds not lasting long, next ill build an intel MONSTER but i do have to admit i am an amd fanboy....