1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use VGA box? play PS2 on PC monitor ?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by 00BOLT, Feb 10, 2005.

1. 00BOLT

00BOLT Member

I have a 19" LCD monitor and was looking at how I can play my games on the computer monitor for a few reasons... one is so wife can watch tv, etc and I can play games...

another is I want the best graphics possible. I dont have HDtv, but do have a decent 36" sony wega.... but anyway.... does anyone use this option? if so, which box works the best?? i notice there are alot of different ones? i wanna make sure I get the best possible picture...

2. vidiotY2k

vidiotY2k Member

I was just about to put up a topic asking this very same question. Very scary.

00BOLT, I have to tell you I have been researching this for the past few months on my free time and my head is beginning to hurt, let me tell you what I know.

First and foremost: There are a lot of crappy VGA adapters, some don’t even work from what I’ve read.

The closest thing I have found for a solution is from here: http://www.vdigi.com/ These guys have supposedly created a frickn awesome adapter that works for all consoles. (Something that appeals to my situation.) Its able to output 480p and other progressive outputs on your monitor. Which is nice.

The problem is that most ps2 games are 480i, and this device doesn’t change that. The end result is that your monitor has to be 480i compatible in order to play. Which it seems most aren’t. It’s pretty annoying.

I don’t want to start a new thread now that you have started one. If someone could help it would be much appreciated

3. 00BOLT

00BOLT Member

so if my LCD monitor does not support 480 or 1080 or whatever.... (i dont know, how do I find out??)

lets say I get this, hook up my PS2 to my monitor with the best component cables.... will the picture be any better than say a regular TV hookup with the standard av cables??

4. vidiotY2k

vidiotY2k Member

“so if my LCD monitor does not support 480 or 1080 or whatever.... (i dont know, how do I find out??)”

I have no idea. I think that has been the most frustrating thing about researching this. If anyone else knows I really wish they could possibly put a reply here.

I am not sure how ps2 games that are 480i only would work. I would assume that it would look better on a monitor than on a regular set. Most Xbox games have HDTV support (480[bold]p[/bold], I know its confusing :p) and from what I can tell some people that use adapters like Vdigi’s swear by it and never go back. You have to understand most monitors have far better resolutions than TV sets. (Anything over 640x480)

I don’t understand why monitors cant support 480i if they can support resolutions that are higher than it perfectly fine. Nor do I understand how to test or see if your monitor can support 480i, I guess you would have to call up which ever company made your monitor. You can always try TVTuner cards, but I don’t think they can produce the type of visual quality a device like this one can. I really wish someone who knew more about this would reply here and help out, no?

5. chaseacej

chaseacej Member

When i do this im going to but and external tv tuner unit. This is due to the fact i have a laptop and its cheaper than the good vga boxes. I also have a secondary monitor for my laptop but the tv tuner box is usb 2.0 so i wont really lose any speed or have any video lag.

6. vidiotY2k

vidiotY2k Member

Tv tuner box 2.0? That’s the ATI USB Tv Tuner 2.0 right? What’s the quality like when playing games using that?

7. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

Alright people, i am stuck too, can anyone help me? which VGA box should i buy. LIKSANG has tons of VGA boxes but then again they say that VGA BOXES SUCK. Lol as far as i understand, buying a new Television set gurantees what we want lol. Good VGA BOXES are like 179USD, jeez lol.