1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aopen error reading dvdrw :(

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by skullo, Jan 31, 2007.

1. skullo

skullo Member

Hi,need help here.

Recently my Aopen DUW1616/arr burner has problem reading/writing dvdrw discs but has no problem reading/ writing DVDR,dvds,cds etc.Only once did i manage to erase my DVD+RW that also after i tried many times :(
    The weird thing is it only happened recently..
    I tried updating the firmware but the problem still exist.

FYI, bought this burner 2 years ago,the media im trying to read is Imation DVD+RW?
    Is this problem repairable or should i just get a new burner?
    Any suggestion would be appreciated :)

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi skullo
    It may just be the discs the burner has a problem w/ esp since you only have this problem w/ RW media.
    Imation uses different manufacturers and some are not good.

Did you do a full erase instead of a quick erase? If not do a full erase on the disc.

Another burner may not be a bad idea either - new burners are alot cheaper than they were 2 years ago.

3. skullo

skullo Member

Hi, thanks for replying binkie. :)

I dont think its the disc problem coz the disc was burned by my friend.i told him bout this and he took back and tried the disc, and it works perfectly on his burner (able to read data n burn).I did ask him to erase the disc n transfer some files into the disc but i still cant read it.Weird thing is i tried on my dad's laptop and the disc couldnt be read also, but it works on my friends bro laptop. LOL! :D
    Maybe the disc has some bone to pick with my family :p

Anyway, like u said, new burners are a lot cheaper now and im planning to get 1.Thanks again for ur reply.

PS: English isnt my 1st language so bear with me ya.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem skullo - your english is just fine.

Yeah it's looks like this disc may have a problem w/ your families stuff probably no offense though :0)

Not all media is compatible w/ all drives - so that might just be it.
    Firmware can usually resolve this but since yours is update looks like it didn't.

If you need help picking a drive just let us know.