1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apocalypto Problem -- commentary, audio...etc.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by TomNY, May 25, 2007.

1. TomNY

TomNY Member

Love this site and have found some great advice. I have Apocalypto and want to back it up for protection. I ran it through rip-it-4-me, which then opened it up in DVD shrink. I used Nero recode to burn. Kept getting the director's commentary--no option to shut it off. I then used DVDFab (free version) and the same thing happened. They i used DVDFab and tried to turn off the commentary file...after doing that I got no audio.

The very same thing happened to me for Pans labrynth. I know this has to be simple, or at least requires more steps then I know about. anyone have ideas for me?

Thanks in advance!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi TomNY
    For Apocalypto leave the 'unspecified' audio checked only - uncheck the rest. The only English audio on this one is the director's commentary.
    Shrink will leave all audios checked so just keep the one.
    You can use Burning Rom or Express to burn. No need to run thru Recode.

For Pan's Labyrinth same deal sorta - just leave the Spanish audio checked only. Recode will by default uncheck any 'non' english audios.
    Leave the English subtitles checked too :)

3. TomNY

TomNY Member

Thanks for the quick help/reply.

Here's the deal -- I use recode becuase it's the only way I know to rebuild the DVD. When I go to "back up" via Shrink, it never fails that the disc won't burn. Keep getting an error message.

When you say uncheck..do you mean before I'm dipping the DVD or at the Shrink phase?

4. binkie7

In the Shrink phase you can uncheck the audios.

What's the error that you get in Shrink when trying to burn? (uses nero burn engine)

Since Recode and Shrink basically do the same thing you could just burn the files from Shrink opening burning rom or express. No need to encode again with Recode.
    Use Express - friendlier interface. Pick the DVD-Video option then add the folder that Shrink saved the movie in.
    But with the error message we may be able sort out the problem for you.
    What version of Nero are you using?

5. TomNY

TomNY Member

Binkie... can't thank you enough. worked great through shrink and used express to burn. Just put the DVD in my player and it's perfect.

as for the error message--I think it was driver related. I updated the firmware on my burner via DELL's support site.

Thanks for all of your help.

6. binkie7

You're welcome TomNY
    If you need anymore help just post back.

Happy Burning!

7. chayne04

chayne04 Regular member

same thing is happening to me. i cannot seem to get rid of mel gibson's voice. i have unchecked everything just like you told the last guy to do, but he is still there. cannot seem to get rid of him. i have burned this movie now 4 times, each time i have unchecked the audio of the directors comments. still there he is.

8. binkie7

Hey chayne04
    Which software and methods have you tried?

I didn't have problems with either movie - Pan's or Apocalypto but almost did - caught the audio bit at the last minute :)

9. chayne04

chayne04 Regular member

i am using ripit4me, and burning with recode. i have shrink, and tried with that one, but came up with the same thing, mel gibson, mel gibson, god he is getting on my nerves.

10. TomNY

TomNY Member

I did just was Binkie said -- Used shrink and turned off the commentary audio. Just had to click it. The burner crashed going through shrink--but the image file was saved. I used Neroexpress and it worked fine.

I'm going to try to burn through shrink again as I have since updated the firmware. Either way, Binkie's recommendations worked.

11. binkie7

@ chayne04 lol - even though I think he looks good :) the commentary would get on my nerves.
    Recode is probably unchecking the unspecified audio by default and leaving the only English which is the commentary but Shrink leaves all audios checked.
    Dumb question but have you tried the audio on the remote to see if you can switch the audio?

@TomNY
    If the firmware doesn't do the trick post back a Nero log and we'll try and sort this out for you.
    You should be able to autoburn w/ Shrink and Nero - the only version of Nero that throws a TRF error and won't is 6.6.1.4.

12. chayne04

chayne04 Regular member

yes, i have tried with the remote to turn off audio and it will not turn it off. i go to the screen where it say on and off and i enter off and it immediately take me to the movie, where mel's voice is still there. i have tried everything everybody has said and it still does not work for me. cannot even enjoy the movie. i guess this is one movie i will not have a back up for.

13. binkie7

The only other thing I can think of is to try CloneDVD - clone also unchecked the unspecified audio. I used AnyDVD and CloneDVD too on this one.

Sorry - another dumb question - try playing it in the pc or another player? Happens there too?

I'm at a loss on this one.

14. chayne04

chayne04 Regular member

it does it on the pc and the stand alone player.

i am going to keep trying on my sorry discs, i am tired of screwing up my verbs, that is five wasted discs.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  15. binkie7

Here's one more suggestion - rip with DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    Do movie only and uncheck all but the unspecified audio.
    Check the movie from the hard drive. Ok then use Shrink or Recode.

I'm still puzzled on this one so please keep us posted!

16. chayne04

chayne04 Regular member

my next question would be i am doing movie only, so the discs i have already made would they work, or do i need to go and pull the original?

17. binkie7

Just for the heck of it I'd try one the copies and rip it before you pull the original back out.
    I'd be curious on what audios dvdfab shows.

18. chayne04

chayne04 Regular member

thanks, i will let you know in a bit

gonna have to get out the original, would not work. found out the problem though, the only audio selection i had on all the other ones was the one with directors commentary. so now whenever i make my next copy i will leave all and make sure i get rid of directors. thanks for your help.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  19. XxRUINSxX

XxRUINSxX Regular member

This movie was the first mistake I've had in a long time, had to redo it like the rest of you.

20. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I rip using Ripit4me (movie + menus) only. Then, in Shrink, KEEP all unspecified and all English audio. Uncheck the boxes next to the foreign languages and directors commentary. Backup to the hard drive, then afterwards and before burning it to disc, spot check it while watching portions of the movie here and there to make sure it backed up properly and try the menus to make sure they backed up fine. If everything seems to be fine, then you can proceed with the burn. This will lower the risk of a bad burn. You will be able to find a problem while spot checking before you waste your discs.