1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently an idiot here...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Roswell23, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Roswell23

Roswell23 Member

Okay, this is my first DVD burner...it's a NEC DVD±RW ND-3520A. I replaced my Yamaha CD burner with it so I still have my stock DVD-ROM. I've successfully (but maybe not...don't know what the prob is) copied a DVD movie to my hard drive. Burning is the problem...It stops at the beginning. I get some sort of error saying it failed just as it starts...it burns just enough to ruin the disc. I've tried DVD decrypter, DVD Shrink, and 1Click DVD Copy, and tried burning using Nero. I have only had DVD43Free (or whatever it's called) running in the background for copyright override. I've used (and verified with DVD Identifier) ProDisc and Taiyo Yuden media. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a firmware update or what?

2. colw

colw Active member

Right - you have got the first part done - copying to your hard drive (assume you used Decrypter or Shrink).

With the burning part - DVD Shrink does not burn - it uses a third party program such as Nero to burn.

DVD Decrypter will burn but in ISO mode only.

If you burner came with an OEM version of Nero, it is likely that some DVD burning functions will be disabled.

If this is the case you will need to download a fully functioning trail version of Nero (31 days) from their website.

Not familiar with 1Click DVD Copy so cannot comment re this program.

If you are attempting to burn a commercial movie and it is over 4464Mb in size, you will need to run it through DVD Shrink in order to fit it on a standard 4.7 GB DVD.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Roswell23
    Do you have the system resources to use a dvd burner? What are the specs on the machine; CPU and speed, hard drive and free space, operating system, and amount of RAM?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2005
  4. Roswell23

Roswell23 Member

HP Pavilion 750n
    Windows XP
    1.6GHz Intel Pentium 4
    512MB RAM
    80GB HD (plenty of free space available)
    nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card w/ 32MB SDRAM

Minimum Requirements listed for my burner are:
    800MHz Intel Pentium 3
    256MB RAM

and Recommended Requirements is:
    1.0GHz Intel Pentium 4
    512MB RAM

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

What is plenty?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How fast are you trying to burn?

Your pc specs are quite satifactory. I have a backup pc burning now with only 256 mb ram and celeron 598 mhz. The ty's are the best and prodisc are pretty good. If you are burning slow and it still errors out,it may need a firmware update.

Also check your ide settings and make sure they are on dma if available on the primary and secondary ide channels. You don't want them on pio.

You have both a dvd rom and a dvd burner.How are they set on your IDE settings?I just have nero 6.0.0.22 oem version and no problems. I am set up same way,dvdrom is set as secondary master and dvdrw drive set as secondary slave. I use dvd shrink,set enable burn with nero in the edit/preferences/io tab.After dvd shrink gets through encoding,nero automatically picks it up to burn-4x.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

As saugmon stated the PC has ample capacity. I'd still like to know how much free space you have on the hard drive though, plenty is a judgment call on your part. The DMA - PIO setting would affect speed. In PIO it would write, but slowly. In this case it isn't writing. With the media, the Yuden is the better of the 2. Some people like Prodisc, others don't. Prodisc has yet to make a good market impact, so my judgment is out on it and since I don't get free samples, I'm not going to spend my money trying it.

One quick thing to do that will possibly save a lot of time diagnosing, disable the drives and reinstall the programs. Delete the recording programs, Nero, Shrink, Decrypter, and DVD43. Then clean the system with ad-aware, and spybot. I go one farther and clean with spysweeper as well. Then run a registry cleaner. Disable the drive in Device Manager. When the PC reboots, windows should pick up the drive and take care of the DMA setting at the same time. Reboot twice and then install the Nero and reboot. Make sure you have the latest version of Decrypter and Shrink should be 3.2. Instead of DVD43, download and install the trial version of AnyDVD (3 weeks), http://www.slysoft.com . Once you have these apps loaded, reboot and then try a recording.

If it doesn't work following this, you may have hardware problems. Run the drive test module from SiSoftware's analysis program, Sandra (free). http://www.sisoftware.net

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  8. Roswell23

Roswell23 Member

Well, I'm not near my computer at the moment, but I believe I have about 45-50GB free on my HD. I seem to recall my used space is somewhere around 35%. As soon as I get a chance to try out these recommendations, I will let you know how it goes. My burner is set as master and rom is slave. And I did check about the DMA previously and both primary and secondary are indeed set to "DMA if available."

9. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Don't load the IN CD portion of Nero. Like roxio's drag and drop it is constantly talking to your burner and is known to cause problems. I use roxio for my cd's and I uninstall it before I do a dvd. It affects decrypter on my system.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Roswell23
    Using Device manager and disabling a drive can still help the PC pick up the drive again and in some instances start the drive to functioning properly again. Not a sure fix, but it only takes minutes to try.

Someone mentioned the InCD in Nero. They were right, InCD and most other packet writing software is a problem for DVD movie recording programs.

11. Roswell23

Roswell23 Member

What exactly do you mean by "InCD?" Is that a certain way that Nero loads, like the "wizard" or "smartstart?"

12. brobear

brobear Guest

InCD is one of the Programs in the Nero Suite. I'm not sure if it's in the Nero trial, but it is in the Nero Ultra. It's a packet writing software program. Packet writers are notorious for interfering with movie recording apps. Roxio Drag to Disc is another of this type. The InCD program can be removed in Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel if it's there. Don't load it if you ever see it present as a separate download as in the Nero Ultra update pack.

13. Roswell23

Roswell23 Member

Ok, thanks for the tip.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome.

15. Roswell23

Roswell23 Member

Just an update...

So this is what I did:
    1. Put the movie (Garden State) in my E:(ROM) - oh, and had AnyDVD running in BG
    2. Decoded with DVD Decrypter (it wouldn't work in Shrink - kept getting error)
    3. Used IFOEdit to create new IFO file names (Shrink wouldn't recognized the ones created by Decrypter)
    4. Used Shrink to encode and set it to burn@4X with Nero on D:(burner) using Ritek media

It burned successfully and I'm now about 20 minutes into watching the movie with no problems so far. I plan on sending it to my Mom and just hope her DVD player will play it.

THANKS again for all the help!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  16. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad you got it going. A bit strange though. Normally if DVD Decrypter successfully rips, then DVD Shrink will analyze and encode the move files to be burned.

If you ever get tired of Shrink, try out DVDCopy3. http://www.intervideo.com This program takes your ripped files (File Mode) and encodes and burns. They have a good trial period to try it out. One nice thing about a lot of the good software programs, they have trials so a person can see if they like them or not.