1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple V2 mod chips, PS2 V7, and newer 2003 game discs?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dbminter, Dec 8, 2003.

1. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I have a Version 7 PS2 with an Apple V2 mod chip installed. It's just a little over a year old. I've noticed some weird behavior over the last few months with new releases, and, I wanted to see if there was any concrete info or opinions even :> on the issue.

All of what I'm experiencing applies to the original discs as well as copies made of them.

Starting with Mega Man X 7, I've had my PS2 returning format errors on newer discs. At some point, the PS2 asks to insert a PS or PS2 format disc, even though they may be disc originals.

Mega Man X 7 does this on any attempt to load the Title screen after it has loaded the first time. So, any in game cancel return to Title screen, or at the end of the game when it wants to reload the Title screen, the PS2 asks me to insert a properly formatted disc.

Final Fantasy X-2: This disc didn't want to load a few times at all, just kept asking to insert a properly formatted disc.

Midway Arcade Treasures: This disc only loads the attract screen. When I try to load the Main menu, it fails, asking for the properly formatted disc.

So, I tried the most recent trouble maker, Midway Arcade Treasures, on my old Version 1 PSX. It loaded the game where the Version 7 modded system failed to.

This leads me to wonder a few possible situations:
    1.) the PS2 needs repairs for reasons beyond the mod chip
    2.) the Apple V2 chip has died early, i.e. it may be junk
    3.) are they making more recent PS2 discs in a different way to defeat older chips, like my Apple 2

So, especially with #3 in mind, I thought I'd see if there was any concrete information on the Apple 2 not booting newer game originals.

Any info/opinion anyone may have?

Thanks!

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

sounds like your laser is starting to go. Look for the post about fixing DRE errors.

3. dbminter

dbminter Regular member