1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archos - My MPG4 Translator is not working

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by alexmaron, Nov 21, 2004.

1. alexmaron

alexmaron Member

I have a question.

When I try to convert my videofiles from any format to the avi supported by Archos, it does all the work (call VirtualDub and start converting it), but when it get to the end of the conversion, it simply ends and no new file is created at the destination folder.

Can someone help me?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Dunno if this will help but,
    when it runs a two-pass conversion, the first pass generates only a log file, no AVI.
    Well I think it makes an AVI but it's a dummy and will not play...
    Anyway we cannot help you without much more info about your formats, your PC and your tools.
    With what method are you encoding AVIs?
    If this Archos is a portable, perhaps you could use AutoGK and select the proper DivX-certified profile for your device.
    AutoGK works, no doubt about that :)
    Regards

3. horrgakx

horrgakx Member

Hi - I've got a different problem along the same lines.

On SOME files, I set my source as an AVI file and the destination as somewhere different, choose the Target as the GMini but the "Start" button is still greyed out.

When I DO get a Start button I get the error "Cannot open file "Job.avs"; The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

Any ideas please?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  4. archosTek

archosTek Member

5. alexmaron

alexmaron Member

I had another idea.

Instead of trying to use MPG4 Translator, I found a tutorial about Virtual Dub in the Archos website FAQ. I tested converting a few files and saved the settings. Now, everything is perfect.

http://www.archos.com/support/faq/faq_AV400.html

I am posting a copy/paste of the tutorial:

How do I use the VirtualDub software?

A: VirtualDub is a very powerful tool for converting or editing any type of MPEG media file. Unfortunately, WMV, WMA, and ASF (Windows Media files) are patented and not supported by VirtualDub since version 1.3d. If you want to convert that file type, you will have to use a different software.

This tutorial is about converting any MPEG (MPG) file to an AVI that will play on the AV 300.

1. Open VirtualDub and open the MPEG your downloaded.

2. Go to the Video menu and select Filters. The Filters window will open and be empty. Click on the Add button to select the Resize filter.

3. Select the Resize filter and click OK to open the properties of the Resize filter.

4. The AV400 will only support 704 x 480 maximum. Any video you convert must be less than or equal to this. In our example we are already below the maximum. We could increase the size but without further filters the image quality would suffer. For our purposes, click Cancel to close this window and Cancel again to close the filters window.

5. Next, go to the Video menu and select Compression.

6. Select the DivX Codec, and click the Configure button.

7. Variable Bitrate mode MUST be set to 1-pass (simple profile). You may adjust the Encoding bitrate from 300 to 1200. Click OK to close codec properties and return to VirtualDub.

8. Click OK to close the Video Compression menu. Go to the Audio menu and turn on Full Processing mode. A bullet will appear next to Full Processing mode and you will now be able to enter the Audio Compression settings from the Audio menu.

9. Select Lamemp3 and choose the encode rate as desired. Better sound increases file size. If you get an error that the requested conversion is not possible, reopen the audio compression window and choose a lower rate. Try again. If you get the same error keep lowering the rate until the file converts. This error means that you're trying to encode at a higher audio rate than the source file is encoded at.

10. Select "Interleaving" from the Audio menu and set "Enable audio / video interleaving" and "Interleave every 1 frame".

11. Go to the File menu and select 'Save as AVI', name the file and click OK to begin the conversion process. VirtualDub will display the Status window during the encoding.

12. Copy the new file to your Jukebox AV 400 and play it.

6. horrgakx

horrgakx Member

Great stuff alexmaron!! I'll use that for other stuff too.

archosTek, that worked! The program ran straight away and didn't give any errors. Thankyou

Any chance you can tell us why this one works and the other doesn't? (curious).

Dave

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  7. archosTek

archosTek Member

The MPG4 Translator v3.0.8 software sends the incorrect command line arguments to VirtualDub.

example:

"/sC:\Documents and Settings\user.DOMAIN\My Documents\Job.avs" "/x"

should be:

/s "C:\Documents and Settings\user.DOMAIN\My Documents\Job.avs" /x

And I Hex Edited MP4SP.exe to make these changes.

Hex Location: 803AD - 803B8

8. horrgakx

horrgakx Member

Wow, so this is a big problem for Archos, I wonder how many (thousands?) of units have gone out with this software! :)

9. archosTek

archosTek Member

I think the version shipped with the units is older, but I did send them the patched version, for them to put up on their site.

10. CoReX

CoReX Member

Hey, the normal version of VD never worked for me, it gave me some error like frames not found or something of the sort. I searched for a couple hours till I found something so that I could put videos on my Archos. For me, the way I worked around it was using Virtual Dub Mpeg2 1.5.10 instead of the normal one using hte exact same guide.

11. horrgakx

horrgakx Member

Hi - thanks for the replies.

Alexmaron - I tried your tutorial but I have the following issues;

1) You say select the DivX codec for the video. I have the following listed;
    "Divx ;-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion"
    "Divx ;-) MPEG-4 Low-Motion"
    "DivX Pro(tm) 5.1.1 Codec yv12"
    "DivX Pro(tm) 5.1.1 Codec divx"

- If I use either of the DivX ;-) I don't get an option to change the 1-pass option.

- If I use either of the DivX Pro ones I'm told that I have to have GAIN advertising and the program exits

2) The only MP3 codec I have is "MPEG layer 3" (but this doesn't seem to trip the program up).

Am a bit stuck :)

Thanks,
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  12. alexmaron

alexmaron Member

Errrr... The fact is that i got the DIVx that came with my Archos Av 420.

I`m out, on vacation in Rio de Janeiro, as soon as I get home I`ll see what version of DIVX I am using.

13. yohu123

yohu123 Member

hi alex,
    i read one of ur forums and noticed that u have good knowledge on how to use virtualdub/mod. anywayz, i have a avi file which is 692mb. the audio is very low and wanted to increase it. so in other words, the output avi movie is exactly the same, but with higher audio volume. i set the video to direct stream copy and audio to full processing mode. then i increased the audio volume to 115% from 100%. the output avi does have 115% volume but the problem here is that due to an increase of 15% in audio, the filesize of the output avi movie is 1.3gb!!! so the input avi movie was only 692mb but the output avi movie is 1.3gb. even if i increase the audio by 5%, the filesize goes to 1gb. im using virtualdubmod 1.5.4.1. can u plz tell me what im doing wrong??? thanx.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  14. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Your audio has gone from MP3 to WAV.
    Increasing the volume won't (shouldn't) affect filesize.
    You need to demux the MP3 audio, adjust its volume (in MP3 format) and then re-interleave the AVI.
    Use 'MP3 Gain' to increase the MP3 volume.
    @ horrgakx
    Grab the DivX 5.2.1 free codec - DivX will then offer to unlock the Pro version (which adds Adaptive Single Consecutive Bidirectional encoding) for free, for 6 months...
    L8R

15. alexmaron

alexmaron Member

Oh, boy.

This guy knows how to solve a problem :)

16. yohu123

yohu123 Member

thanx The_OGS. that did the trick. the output file didnt change a single mb and the volume did increase by the amount i wanted, using mp3 gain. thanx a lot once again.

17. yohu123

yohu123 Member

thanx The_OGS. that did the trick. the output file didnt change a single mb and the volume did increase by the amount i wanted, using mp3 gain. thanx a lot once again.

18. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

To everyone with AVI that is too quiet:
    Whoever made it did not take proper careful steps to make audio perfect!
    Anyone backing-up DVDs knows this can be a challenge because levels too low are commercially 'safer' ie. better too low than too high, right?
    Too low/too high, whatever: they should be perfect (reference -0dB).
    Here is a link to a tool that claims to adjust AVI volume automatically:
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/aviutl.html
    Grab the tool and keep it, if this problem happens you will be ready :)
    Regards

19. RBrumme

RBrumme Member

Hi, hope someone can help me. First: I’m from germany, sorry for my bad english!
    In next time I will buy an Archos AV480, therefore I have downloaded the manual for AV480 and all software (MPEG4-Mediator, VirtualDub) and all codecs.

My problem is the following: if I located (with MPEG-Mediator) the file I will convert (source-file is a VOB-file) I became an error-information in the moment the programm MPEG4-Mediator calling VirtualDub. I can see the window from VirtualDub with the information: „The object stream [0] has allready been created. You can’t call Setsource twince on it!“
    The the VirtualDub-window closed.

What it means? Which source?

I can open VirtualDub separately, but if MPEG-Mediator called VD I receive the error and I can’t convert the source-file!

Many thanks for the help!
    Best regards from Germany, Roland Brumme (brumme@t-online.de)