1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are all HDMI cables the same?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by yodaddi, Apr 26, 2007.

1. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

okay, i just bought my ps3. i had purchased these HDMI cables via amazon.com originally for my HD-direct tv. but i connected the cables to my ps3. when i press "input" on the remote, it recogznizes the HDMI. but i don't get a picture. the screen is just blue. i get a picture using the basic a/v cables that came w/ the console. is there a specific HDMI cables for the ps3? i have the Mitsubishi 57732 tv model. any ideas?

2. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

you have to switch the ps3's options to output in HDMI, as it is currently outputting in a/v.
    the way I do it when i switch from an hdtv to a reg. one is by 1)connecting the ps3 using both cables 2)using the a/v input, go to display settings on the XMB and change output to HDMI. 3) when you get to the point where it tells you that it will switch back to a/v in 30 sec (or something) if it doesnt work and then you say ok, the screen will go blank. 4) switch your tv input to hdmi. and there ya go.
    theres probably a better way to do it but that's what I do.

3. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

when you say "XMB", are you referring to the display settings via System settings in the ps3? what i did, after i upgraded the firmware to 1.7, is i went to theses settings thru my compenent cables which are working and i selected "Hdmi". when i was ready to press the enter button i then selected my HDMI input on my tv. and nothing happened. so, i went back to my component input on my tv and it says that if nothing happens in 30 seconds, power off your ps3 and turn it on again. well, i tried that on my HDMI tv input and still, nothing.

am i missing something? might it just be the HDMI cables i'm using? should i get those ps3-endorsed cables like psyclone or monster?

4. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

Yes the XMB, or cross media bar, is the main menu of the ps3.

when you say that, do you mean that you switched to the hdmi imput on your tv Before or After you hit enter? as in you need to switch imputs when your screen has gone blank. just clarifying.
    and I highly doubt that it is your hdmi cable. Since it is a digital signal, the real only difference between cables is the amount of insulating, which shouldn't matter.

5. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

yes, i switched to HDMI before i press the "X" button. so i wait about 30 seconds and nothing will happen. so i switch back to my component input and i see the next screen saying something like if nothing happens in 30 seconds power off your ps3 and then turn it back on.

6. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

you have to hit X first, then switch

7. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

so, what you're saying is, at the component-input tv screen i press the "X" button then switch over to the hdmi-input tv screen? let me try this tomorrow again because it's getting late for me. i appreciate your help and i hope you are around tomorrow so i can keep you updated. thx.

8. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Also I think if you turn the console off within 30 sec of turning it on, then back on again it will do a autoscan. not sure the exact times and procedures, but that's what I did. and it worked. as never unwraped the std cable.

also all HDMI cables are the same as they are digital, unless you are going more than 15 foot, then any cable will do. same as your dsl conection, do you ever see ppl selling HQ DSL leads. or USB leads.

unless the leads are very poor Q with dry solder joints then there will be no differance.

9. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

yes all HDMI cable are the same... Got mine on Ebay 20 bucks....... "other" stores carry them for 80-150 bucks..working in the Installation business for a long azz time.. I laugh to myself when I go to a home and someone is like " I bought this HDMI cable for 120 bucks".... then I disgust then and tell them what I paid.... The stores get these monster thick cables, saying its better because of the shielding of interference..HAHAHA whatever.. Anyway... They all work the same... Provide a digital quality pic.....

10. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

i'm hoping they are just bad cables. i wouldn't want it to be my tv or the ps3 because they are more expensive. i got those cables from amazon for 25 dollars. i'm thinking of purchasing some ps3-hdmi cables (psyclones) and hoping they will work. but for now, i'm trying to find some more info on how i can get it to work before i spend some cash.

11. klystron

klystron Member

I agree with Jlhfit. I picked up a 3 pack of cables on ebay for $10 +shipping and they work great. Paying big bucks for supposed "premium" brands doesn't make much sense to me.....

12. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Have tried changing through formats ont he tv.. Depending on the tv.. It might require you to go in a manually match the format output of the ps3 or vise versa....... that could be why you see a pic on A/V cables but not HDMI....also if you have a directv HD reciever, try the cable on it and see if it works, if is doesnt then bad cable

13. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

what do you mean by changing formats? i'll check my tv manual again to see if there's something different i can do. i get it to work w/ my component cables.

14. escalante

escalante Regular member

All I did when first connecting my PS3 to an HDTV was that I held the power button for 5 seconds I think and the PS3 went into a resolution setup. It detected an HD output and after a couple of "yes"s i was in 1080p :) Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  15. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

did you attempt this when you put your tv input mode into HDMI?

16. escalante

escalante Regular member

Yes, I put my TV settings to HDMI input and switched on the PS3 holding down the power button fro 5 seconds until it beeped again.

17. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

this is what i did:

1. Put your PS3 in standby mode
    2. Turn Tv on..put it on the HDMI Input
    3. Press and hold power button on PS3 for 5 seconds (until you hear the second beep)
    4. Follow the instructions on screen to set up HDMI Video settings and audio
    5. Game on.

i did exactly as instructed. so what happens is originally my screen is blue. after completing step #3, my screen becomes pitch black. i have no other a/v connections in my ps3 while doing this procedure.

is it safe to repeat this step again? what could be the problem? hdmi cables, ps3, or tv?

i have another hdmi port (2). maybe i should try that one. i'm just hoping its the cables since that would be the least expensive thing to replace.

18. escalante

escalante Regular member

Hmm. That's odd. It worked the first time for me. I don't think anything bad can happen if you try again. If it still doesn't work switch the HDMI port. If it still doesn't work...well, I wish you good luck in finding out how to do it. I'm not an expert when it comes to these things. Sorry I can't help you out further.

19. yodaddi

yodaddi Member

okay, i found out what the problem is/was. luckily, i took noticed of one end of the cables and saw that 2-3 of those golden pins were out of place. so what i did, unfortunately, was purchased another set of cables . those new cables are working! so i appreciate y'alls help.

20. escalante

escalante Regular member

No problem. Congratulations on getting it to work.

escalante