1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are all/most modchips compatible with dvd+rs?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by sparrrk, Dec 28, 2003.

1. sparrrk

sparrrk Member

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I am new to this kind of stuff. I am interesting in buying a ps2 modchip and was wondering if most of them, like the magic 5 and magic 3.1, are compatible with dvd+r disks. The reason I am asking this is that most websites that I go to say that the chips work with any import or backup ps2 game and then it puts (cd-r, dvd-r) in parenthesis without any mention of dvd+r. I just want to make sure that I don't end up buying one that doesn't support dvd+r disks, as I only have a dvd+r drive. If it makes any difference, I have a V4 ps2 that plays dvd+r backups of movies so I'm assuming I should have no problems with ps2 backups. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] it is not the mod chip that is compatible with dvd+r, its the ps2 version. v1-v4 only support dvd-r, but i heard some v4 support both dvd-r and dvd+r. v5-v10 support both dvd-r and dvd+r.

3. shockter6

shockter6 Member

hey, i'm also a newb to all this stuff... i got a dvd burner the other day and have nero 6 on my computer. i have a v4 ps2 and want to know if anyone has any advice on what kind of modchip i should buy or if i should get the slide card with swap magic 3. i have no clue what to do about a mod chip. all i want to know how to do is be able to burn my ps2 games and be able to play the burnt ones on my ps2. if anyone can help i would appriciate it

4. Dany22

Dany22 Member

Shockter,

To answer your question...if u wanna mod your ps2..use a swap magic cd, slide card..anything but not a solder modchip...V4 ps2 has a very weak laser..and if u gonna use a lot of DVDs (games or movies) its gonna kill them...V4 lasers have many problems with DVD-Rs..i know..i had a V4 for 5 months after laser was killed..not able to boot any DVDs..so i bought a V7..better laser, no freezing or booting problem.

Peace,

Dany22

5. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

actauly the faulty is in the ps2 itself.... sony fixed the problem in the scph-30004R... and it's not a mod chip fault :p... as for playing dvd with chip on v4 ps2 tell that to my ps2 that worked for over 2 years :p.... 1-4 support dvd-r... 5-8 supports dvd-+r... 9-10 supports dvd-+r and dvd-+rw for the v10... thats is all you need to know dudes... hope we learn something today {^_^}

6. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

***The following has not been personally tested***
    At doom9 I read a news post about a program available only for liteon burners that allows someone to change the booktype for there dvd+r's(not dvd+rw's) to dvd-rom. The reason for this was to resolve some problems people have had getting there (older) standalones to play dvd+r. By changing the booktype to dvd-rom this alleviated the problem. Now, rereading my post I realize I haven't defined booktype: As I understand it there is a bit of data on all blank dvd±r's that gives specific information about the media. part of this information is the booktype, which literally tells the dvd drive whether this media is a dvd-rom, or dvd+r.(I exclude dvd-r, because the booktype cannot be changed on dvd-r so you cannot do anything to them) Moving on, some older standalones(and I hypothesize ps2's) seem to check for dvd-roms, and exclude dvd+r's. The program I found allows a liteon burner to make a dvd+r look like a dvd-rom. This may allow users of older ps2's to boot dvd+r. Note that I have not tried this, and it may very well not work. Now this program...I found it off a link from doom9's sight, however the link is gone. Since the program is small, anyone wishing to have the program can private message me with an email address, and I will send them the program in a zipfile along with instructions. Such a badly written post, if I was too vague(quite likely) on any part, don't hesated to reply, though on the general forum, dont private messenge me asking to clarify, I'll post any clarifications on the open forum for all to see.

7. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member