1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are dvd's being released with 'junk' files to reduce compression quality ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jetsetter, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jetsetter

jetsetter Member

i was trying to backup a dvd ('control room') using DVD Shrink/Nero combination. After I was done compressing, Shrink told me that the <i>compressed</i>
    disc was too large for the dvd-r. not only that but i was unable to increase the compression using the slider bar in order to make it fit. so i looked around for sections to delete but the extras i felt were necessary to keep. so i of course eliminated the unnecessary audio tracks, about 4 or 5 maybe. but still too big. then i came across four more audio tracks.. i believe they were the 'main' audio tracks and they were all the exact same name and size. i figured why do i need 4 of the same audio track. so since they were the same size, i got rid of 1 or 2 and finally the disc was able to fit and the sound on the disc seems fine to me.
    has anyone encountered this? why was dvd shrink unable to just compress the movie til it fit? did i only need one of those 4 identical audio files? and if so, is it possible that some dvd's are being released with unnecessary 'filler' files in order to make compressing and burning more difficult?
    any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

2. firewire

firewire Member

Try DVD one2one. You can strip out all the extras so all you end up with is the main movie. This will improve quality of movie.

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

firewire, shrink will let you strip out the extras by re-author, still image, or raising compression on the ones you keep. I believe jetsetter wants to keep the extras.

jetsetter, If you have several English audio tracks, they usually have to do with audio on extras, director's commentary, etc., besides the main movie audio.

If it's too large for shrink and you want to keep all extras, you have a couple of options. You can run shrink to your hard drive(ignore the size warning). and then take those files and run them thru shrink again and burn to disc.

Or, you can make two discs, one with extras and one with the main movie. Click on the one you're not going to put on one disc, use the still image option on the entire files, in order to keep menu function and burn to disc. Then do it again on the other files using the same method. You will end up with one disc having all extras and one disc having the main movie and the menu will work on both.

I would do this over re-compressing because of quality concerns :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]is it possible that some dvd's are being released with unnecessary 'filler' files in order to make compressing and burning more difficult?[/bold]

Anything is possible but I doubt it IMHO. They concentrate on CSS protection and hard copy read errors to make DVD backup more difficult.

[bold]has anyone encountered this?[/bold]

Yes, there have been files that are too large for shrink to handle on the first pass :>)

5. steve7059

steve7059 Member

Is it possible that the extra audio files were there to support surround sound?

6. jetsetter

jetsetter Member

thanks for your responses :)
    hmm yea i too had initially thought that the extra English audio tracks were for extras but if my memory serves me correctly, i do recall seeing several more audio tracks, in addition to the four identical English audio tracks, which i had assumed to be for the extras. so i of course deleted some of those. but the four audio tracks in question all had the same name and were all 121 MB in size. so it seemed kinda fishy. but i will check to see if the extras have all their audio qualities and if they dont then i can assume that those tracks were for the extras. what is the usual size for an audio track for a full length movie?