1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are DVDs Dead?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Pariah, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

This is partly a media question, but ties in with the larger topic of recording with DVDs. I was a late starter in the recordable DVD world (thanks to my spouse whining that I should not buy a DVD burner for a few years). Anyway, as I've now started recording with my cheapo 2x burning +R NEC drive, I've been observing some "spooky" news and trends that I think may be a sign that DVDs are going to vanish in the near future (say within 5 to 10 years). First, there is the Blue Ray and HDVD coming to the market, which will be higher storage/better images than DVDs. Next, many video rental groups are abandoning physical media in favor of download media rentals. Even Netflix, the largest DVD by mail company, announced that their objective is to eliminate mailing DVDs in the next two years and transition to downloading movies. I'm thinking that there may shortly be a world where you can only download movies, and there will be no DVDs (except what we collected prior to their extinction). Anybody else sense this extinction? Anybody have any hope for their survival?

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

DVDs as we know them will probably go the way of 8" floppies in the future. However, that said, I don't think it will be gone for quite some time. No need to worry about it.