1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are my drives junk?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by clasyclas, Feb 6, 2007.

1. clasyclas

clasyclas Member

I have tried to find information regarding my question, but I still need some help.
    I have a HP computer about 1 1/2 old. I used to use the DVD-ROM to get movies onto the computer, but then the DVD-ROM stopped being recognized, I would have to go into the tower unplug the ROM drive, plug it back in then it would go a few more rounds. I finally got sick of doing that and just used my DVD writer to get the movie on the computer and burn it. Now the DVD writer will not burn any more DVDs, I last bought a 50 pack of Verbatim, and had about 30 successful burns, that was it, I now have thrown away the last 20 disks because the DVD writer tries to start burning, but it will not do anything. Are both of my drives junk? Should I replace them? With what? Is there some guide on replacing them? Both drives are recognized in device manager and say they are working properly. The drives are
    HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA 4166B
    IDE-DVD DROM6216
    NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 SCSI CDROM DEVICE (not sure what this is)
    Thank you

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

The DVD-Rom; you can try uninstalling and reinstalling it in hardware manager. Also, check the connections are fine and not damaged etc.
    If not, it's probably dead.

As for your writer, try cleaning the laser with a laser disk cleaner or lint free cloth.

If not, then that is dead too. LG drives aren't known for their quality of lasers.