1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are newer PS2's better than older model consoles?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by karatone, May 2, 2004.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

I'd like to get opinions on which PS2 consoles are more stable, which chips are most reliable and I'm looking for a site that has high quality high definition pictures of a mod chip install with the most complete install instructions. What are the changes between old and new consoles? I'm planning to pick up a console so I'm trying to get advice and info. before I buy. My buddy has an older console for sale already chipped with a Magic chip but the console is an older type Mdl.# SCPH39001 could someone tell me more about this mdl. and chip ? If buying a brand new Mdl. would be better I'll opt for the latest revision. any advice and info. would be helpful,thanks

2. Badkarma

Badkarma Regular member

the new ones will read dvd+rs and not just -rs like the old ones do.other than that not much difference.

3. billz

billz Active member

there's huge difference in the two ps2

old one
    i beleive is a v4 which means it might or might not play DVD+R's

New ps2
    has progressive scan,built in protection making some games more diffcult to play
    The new ps2 also has ditched the eject ribbon in favor of remote signal to open the tray.There has been alot of thing revamped to save money on the newer ones as well such as less screws and detachable parts ex momeroy card ports aren't removable

The main thing here is the price ,and in the long run the laser, on the older ps2.
    To check for laser wear see if when you load up the ps2 (with a game already in....)Can you choose browser before the game starts? If you can there's been a good bit of wear on the laser not saying that it's not fine but it is worn and you may have to replace the laser in the future.

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

In the long run though, I think you would save a lot of money if you didn't buy a PS2 right now and waited for PS3. I mean, PS3 is supposed to come out in 2006.... but if Sony delays it, and by the time they announce it, it's probably too late to get a PS2.

So therefore I conclude my report that the Wishy World Club has the better deal for Alex

5. pdug

pdug Member

I think the next gen consoles are still a fair bit away, get a PS2 now.

If your an average person you wont be buying one until 12 months or so after release anyway - due to the heafty price tag.

6. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

If you have a 39001 then you have a V7 - stick with it - that is a good version and it is not that old - oh - just re-read that is your buddies - never buy second hand PS2's.

Magic chips are ok if a MagicV is installed - anything lower and I would not touch it.

If buying new then you have little choice all stations are now V9/V10's (5000x's)

Some corrections - the V9/10 still has the eject ribbon cabel - it is just shorter and attached directly to the drive instead of to the lid as it was previously.

The Controller ports are still seperate and can be removed.

The major difference between the older stations and the new ones is the use of the LA instead of BA chip to drive the laser. The LA has resulted in much faster boot times, but has also made the station susceptible to self destructing - do a search on the V9 syndrome if you want to know what I mean.

Chips available for the new stations:
    BlueX-5
    DMS3 V9/10
    MagicV 50K / 5K6
    Matrix Infinity
    Matrix MXL2
    Messiah2 V1.33B / V2.0

For install pictures at high res see:

http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/wired.htm

7. karatone

karatone Regular member

Thanks for the info people! Shadow, I went ahead and bought my buddies 39001 console it hasn't been used much at all so I decided to get it,otherwise I was looking into a new console and doing the install myself (I'm pretty good with a solder iron and wiring diagrams) how old would you say this console is? I only use minus media anyways so the option of using + wasn't a concern. I'll have to pass on the upcoming PS3 system to much $$$$$ thanks again for all the advice and info.!

8. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

The V7 could be anywhere from 1.5 years old to 4 months old - depends on how long ago the shops in your area started stocking the V9's...