1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Single Layer DVDR Obsolete?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Pariah, May 31, 2004.

1. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

I have a fairly large DVD+R collection, but it is still in its infancy. Will the new dual-layer DVD+Rs become the standard media? If so, I'm debating whether I should stop building my collection until the dual layers are readily available and the ripping and burning programs have been released to support dual-layer. Any advice?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe single layer will be obsolete at all for several reasons.

1) Cost of media - single layer is cheaper and will probably stay that way.

2) Cost of hardware - single layer burners will remain cheaper.

3) Not everyone has the need for DL.

4) The majority of films will comfortably fit a single layer with little to no compression when all the useless garbage is removed.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Talk about jumping the gun. Hi, i was watching a program on flying cars, and recently i was thinking of upgrading my car to a new model. However, should i wait for the spaceship model as this may be the car of the future :-D

lol - just kidding, my point being that SL DVD R's will be around for a long time yet.

4. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

I was just concerned, because it did not take very long for the 80min CDRs to replace the 74min, and I can only find 80min CDRs now after only a couple years. I figured the same may happen here, the improved capacity media killing the old.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Yes, but upgrading from 74min to 80min CDRs didn't require the consumer to buy new hardware. Dual-layer DVDs will require consumers to replace their old DVD burners. What DVD users should be worried about is the Blu-Ray technology that will replace DVDs because it will be able to record high-definition quality videos that fit on one disc. But that will be a decade from now when the technology is widely accepted by consumers.

6. pieman

pieman Regular member

from what i understand, blu ray will be backwards compatable with dvd-/+.It aint worth worrying about cos by the time blu is readily available, something else will be in the making.Thats technology for you.Im just glad i used tapes whilst waiting for the compact disc to arrive!!

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actually, Blu Ray i dont think is backward compatible. The reason i say this is that the blue laser used is on a different wave length and so will not be able to read the pits that the red lasers have created. However, Blu Ray systems may incorporate Red LAsers to address this issue??

8. pieman

pieman Regular member

according to blu-ray.com they are backwards compatable, thankfully!!!

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, but that will only be with a different laser installed as Blue Laser operate at a different setting than red ones. They must contain dual lasers then for it...

10. pieman

pieman Regular member

No doubt they will have two.BIG mistake not to!!