1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are sony dvd-r any good?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by naa, Jun 7, 2004.

1. naa

naa Member

I know from experiance Princo dvd-r damaged my ps2 laser because of the cheap CMC dye and the reflection it has. Does anyone know if Princos will weaken regular dvd players lasers, like they do for ps2, or not? Also what kind of dye does sony use on the version 1 dvd-r? I want to buy some Ritek, but don't know if I should reburn the sony backup games or not depending on if they are damaging the ps2 laser or not?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

naa,

I've seen posts of people having good luck with Princo. I like using Verbatim branded and TDK. Alot of people speak highly of Ritek. I think what ever media you buy you should check compatibility.
    http://www.videohelp.com

Also look for AZO on the label.
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    [bold]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz, 1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD, XP Pro
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Princo did not work for games at all for me, and every single movie skipped. You should be able to transfer the data from the princo discs to better discs (i did, and had no problems).

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of Sony regardless however I like Princo even less so it's kinda a tough situation hehe.

sly_61019: did the skipping go away if you burn slower? :)

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i dont remember how fast i burned (2x maybe). But every single movie (24) skipped or became unreadable towards the last 1/3 of the movie. I was, however, able to transfer them to different media and it worked.

6. naa

naa Member

Well, to be honest I got the Princo dvd-r to work very well on ps2. (i.e no skips or long loading times)
    But I am convinced that the dye was cheap and ruined my ps2 laser,because it had poor reflection. And now sony put a really crappy weak laser in that I'm having trouble using my backups on princo and sony dvd-r that I used with the old laser.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  7. ricoman

ricoman Member

I don't know about the DVD-R's but the +R's are ricohjpn's. I burned 30 with good results. The Ritek Ridata +R's I bought are the same ricohjpn's.