1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are sony external dvd burners any good?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by MasterRE, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

I just bought a Sony DRU-810 external DL dvd burner. I used to have a Sony DRU-710 external DL dvd burner but i craped out on me and would not burn DL disks. I have the 810 drive for a while now and it works perfect.

2. onya

onya Guest

Sony's a good brand, I'll qualify by saying I bought an Imation external, cost a small fortune and nothin' but coasters. Took it back, they couldn't get it to work either. They asked "would I like to have it replaced?".....1/2 nano second later..."I absolutely should..........NOT" lol

3. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Great external buner, I own the same model for about 8 months now and it's never failed me, it's made by BENQ and is one of the better external burners on the market for the cost. SONY has not to long come out with new DRU-820 which I will no doubt purchase to go with my SONY laptop that I plan to purchase soon. I use both SONY and Verbatim 8x -R & +R media and also Verbatim +R dual layer again with no trouble at all. You made a good investment. I already own two other internal SONY burners which have worked without flaw.:p

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  4. Mez

Mez Active member

One of the better brands but I recommend lite-on. They are at least as good but fairly cheap. They have a little reader/burner that you can plug into your TV. They can read any crap. I can use coaster materal with those and they 'do not care'.

5. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

The 810UL external burner is a rebadged BENQ 1640 in an external housing. I like mine very much.....

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if this sony is a rebadged BenQ 1640 ....... I have the Philips 8631 which is also a rebadged BenQ 1640! My Philips is now over 1500 burns and still going strong! I loved it so much I bought the BenQ 1655 in an external housing:

[​IMG]
    this baby has now produce close to a 1000 burns now and is going strong still! BenQ drives are great! get them while you can!

7. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

I was thinking of getting the new sony 830-UL as sort of a back up to my 820-UL